Modern car batteries info and advice please - CCA?

robsamui

Hey Trans ... that looks a bit of a machine\

Now this battery thing 

We seem to have a few different opinions on this thread.

Some say they have to top up their battery monthly.

Some say heat is not a factor in battery longevity

Some say that batteries in Thailand are poor quality.

Whatever they still work the same as in 1950 but construction and materials have improved, somewhat.

Excluding experience, with a BMW battery which I will ignore as I think it was a VRLA. With one exception I have been ‘happy’ with longevity of batteries that I have owned here in Thailand, compared to what others have told me.

On my wife’s Mazda Lantis, I just check the purchase date and it was 29th March 2556.  It’s a Panasonic MF. The previously battery was also the same model and I recall it lasting over three years.

The Panasonic MF is not sealed but I think they have ‘extra’ electrolyte so topping up is minimal/none.  I did  add a little water about a year ago but it probably wasn't necessary. The 'little eye' still shows blue. 

The EV is now over a year old. At the service I asked how do you check the electrolyte level in the last two cells … you can’t get at them without disconnecting all the ‘bits’ attached to the +ve terminal. He said the battery doesn’t use water so we don’t … the front cells do not appear to have used any water so that does seem to be the case.  But he suggested that the battery would only last two years and it seems that I can’t change it myself as it needs ‘battery registration’. We will see how long it lasts and after the next service I’ll compare the battery readout with the previus one. That will give me an idea of deterioration.

I do have and frequently use ‘smart charger’ a CTEK and of course I will continue to follow my belief …. :smile:

New_20170202_121344.jpg

20 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Hey Trans ... that looks a bit of a machine\

Now this battery thing 

We seem to have a few different opinions on this thread.

Some say they have to top up their battery monthly.

Some say heat is not a factor in battery longevity

Some say that batteries in Thailand are poor quality.

Whatever they still work the same as in 1950 but construction and materials have improved, somewhat.

Excluding experience, with a BMW battery which I will ignore as I think it was a VRLA. With one exception I have been ‘happy’ with longevity of batteries that I have owned here in Thailand, compared to what others have told me.

On my wife’s Mazda Lantis, I just check the purchase date and it was 29th March 2556.  It’s a Panasonic MF. The previously battery was also the same model and I recall it lasting over three years.

The Panasonic MF is not sealed but I think they have ‘extra’ electrolyte so topping up is minimal/none.  I did  add a little water about a year ago but it probably wasn't necessary. The 'little eye' still shows blue. 

The EV is now over a year old. At the service I asked how do you check the electrolyte level in the last two cells … you can’t get at them without disconnecting all the ‘bits’ attached to the +ve terminal. He said the battery doesn’t use water so we don’t … the front cells do not appear to have used any water so that does seem to be the case.  But he suggested that the battery would only last two years and it seems that I can’t change it myself as it needs ‘battery registration’. We will see how long it lasts and after the next service I’ll compare the battery readout with the previus one. That will give me an idea of deterioration.

I do have and frequently use ‘smart charger’ a CTEK and of course I will continue to follow my belief …. :smile:

New_20170202_121344.jpg

21 hours ago, transam said:

This is my fun ride, 7 litre Pontiac, two clues there how I got 10 years out of L/acid batteries...

Photo-0026.jpg

All my own work JAS21, I even machined the Poly-V pulley system myself to stop belt throwing and install a Japanese alternator.....

6 hours ago, trigpoint said:

My Mazda bt 50 is nearly 5 year old, never look under the bonnet, battery is sealed I assume, still cranks the engine over well, usually leave it up to 10 weeks parked up in summer when I go back to the UK, fires up first time when I get back.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Don't ever sell it. Or if you have to, keep the battery.

My battery story for the OP.....My Vigo 4x4 auto is now in it's 10th trouble free year..

The original from factory battery was a Toyota marked brand that lasted exactly 2 years, phoned Toyota to deliver to my place a new one, it was the same Toyota brand battery. It lasted exactly 2 years too..

So, after doing a bit of research I decided to buy a Boliden Silver Calcium battery, but could not find a dealer where l am. I got someone to bring me one up from BKK, but sadly whilst in it's box it was laid on it's side on route and loads of it's liquid content drained out..Hmmm.

Anyhooo, I was stuck with it so installed it. Even in that condition it lasted exactly 3 years and sure it would have lasted 4 if it was full...

At that time one morning I could feel it was labouring on start up so drove to a local super store to see what they had. They had a vast range but short of ones with my "post" configuration and had to settle for a cheap 3K dry charged battery and a box of acid water. Came out to the car park to find to ride would not start...:sad:

Luckily I always carry spanners, tailgate down and started pouring acid water in the new battery, sadly no funnel and was a dicey situation filling the thing. Installed it, wouldn't start, left it half an hour whilst l found a place to wash the acid off my hands..It started..:smile:

With this battery I decided to lift the hood every time l got home to see if l can get more than 2 years out of it, it is now 2 years and 5 months old, when cold it shows 12.2V, after a short run it shows 12.5/6V, which is good, of course I do not know how many amps it has stored but it still starts in a second with no labouring. :thumbsup: