Fat people paying more on motorcycle taxis in Bangkok - "Wins" say no after sign removed

rooster59

7 hours ago, vadid said:

Seems pretty sensible, it might actually encourage them to walk and burn of some of that excess fat

6 hours ago, berybert said:

If  you can afford to be fat you can afford to pay more for services. The extra weight is going to cost the rider more in petrol. Why should fat people get sympathy, make 'em pay.

You must realize that 80kg and even 100kg does not make a person fat. My som tom vendor weighs 67kg, but is about 1.3m tall, she is almost as wide as she is tall. She is fat. On the other hand, when I did sports, I weighed more than 125 kilos, yet had a 80cm waist and 12% percent body fat; no one thought I was fat.

So, lay it out; you would advocate letting the moto-taxi guy determine who is fat or not. Or, are you saying that only puny human beings weighing less than 80kg get to ride for the standard fare?

Remember, the average height for Yanks, Euros and Aussies is 178cm or more and the average weight is up to 80kgs or more. So, you are advocating a dual pricing standard?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, smotherb said:

You must realize that 80kg and even 100kg does not make a person fat. My som tom vendor weighs 67kg, but is about 1.3m tall, she is almost as wide as she is tall. She is fat. On the other hand, when I did sports, I weighed more than 125 kilos, yet had a 80cm waist and 12% percent body fat; no one thought I was fat.

So, lay it out; you would advocate letting the moto-taxi guy determine who is fat or not. Or, are you saying that only puny human beings weighing less than 80kg get to ride for the standard fare?

Remember, the average height for Yanks, Euros and Aussies is 178cm or more and the average weight is up to 80kgs or more. So, you are advocating a dual pricing standard?

a price based on weight.. call it fat or not.. am also not fat because the high muscle amount I do weigh a lot. But I understand that transporting me costs more then transporting a 45 kg Thai female. So I see the logic nothing wrong with the logic. 

According to liberal thinking we are not allowed to discriminate Jews, Blacks, Muslims, Gays, Women, OAP, The Disabled and Transgenders (did I leave any out). Thank goodness we still have fat people to ridicule otherwise what would we use to boost our self esteem?

Long live fat people on motorcycles!

1 minute ago, robblok said:

a price based on weight.. call it fat or not.. am also not fat because the high muscle amount I do weigh a lot. But I understand that transporting me costs more then transporting a 45 kg Thai female. So I see the logic nothing wrong with the logic. 

Well then, you are advocating a dual pricing standard. I doubt there is any real difference in cost to the moto-taxi guy carting an 80kg passenger compared to a 45kg passenger. However, I see cost by weight on almost all shipping venues, so I have no real argument.

Perhaps that is why I do not take moto-taxis, I either use my own transport or take a real taxi--much prefer the added safety and a/c, don't really care about the difference in cost.

2 hours ago, lgking said:

I am just waiting for the airlines to kick in and start adopting this policy.

Frankly I'm surprised it isn't already policy. If I can't afford Business class I don't fly anymore. Sitting next to a 'large' person for 14 hours is to put it mildly, a trying experience. I did once, never again!

I've always thought air flight luggage allowance should be based on weight.

A weight allowance is given and the lighter you are the more luggage you can take on.

Stupid and unworkable I know, but whenever I'm sat next to someone nearly twice my weight it does pop into my mind again.

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes, as they are so petty about the weight of bags / luggage you can take, but a huge fat person that weighs 4 times as much as me can pay the same price?!  Price should go on weigh..... because more weight uses more fuel. 

I have said for years that airlines should do something similar.  Every seat should be assigned a weight, which is a combined body weight and luggage.  When you check in at the desk the floor area should be a large scale.  Weight yourself and your baggage together. I remember having an argument with an airline in Europe a few years back.  My partner who is 45kg was 2 kg over in her luggage (27kg).  They wanted us to pay extra.  Meanwhile the guy in front of us was at least 120kg, but could take the same luggage weight on the plane.  Now if it was a combined weight and luggage (25kg was the limit on luggage) she would have been taking at least 73kg combined weight less on the plane that the fat prick.  He should have been the one to pay more. They didn't make us pay the extra :smile:

Regarding air travel, there is no reason normal-weight or low-weight passengers should subsidize the cost of transporting overweight passengers. The combined weight of passenger + luggage is the real cost factor for the airline, and that should be reflected in the fare structure. 

4 minutes ago, Bonefish said:

Regarding air travel, there is no reason normal-weight or low-weight passengers should subsidize the cost of transporting overweight passengers. The combined weight of passenger + luggage is the real cost factor for the airline, and that should be reflected in the fare structure. 

I agree, total weight of passenger and baggage, including carry-on, should be calculated and the airfare based thereon.

While we are at it, I have always been upset that sugar and milk users are charged the  same price as black coffee or tea drinkers. I want my money back for all the sugar and milk subsidies I have paid through the years.

24 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

Frankly I'm surprised it isn't already policy. If I can't afford Business class I don't fly anymore. Sitting next to a 'large' person for 14 hours is to put it mildly, a trying experience. I did once, never again!

Totally agree!  I have stopped flying in economy class years ago for that same reason. Plus all the other advantages of business class: decent food, good wines, a real bed,  larger luggage allowances,  short check-in lines and fast-track at immigration, etc. etc. I just fly less often, which is also a big improvement in my quality of life :)

29 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

There should be a stinky meter too I'll take a over weight person over BO anytime. Fly in Africa and you will know what I mean.

3 hours ago, lgking said:

I am just waiting for the airlines to kick in and start adopting this policy.

Surely! If you take up two seats, then you should pay for two tickets. Everybody else can ask the airlines to make wider chairs for the same price, or if the butt fit fly business class. Herad that the seats are a couple of centimeters spacier. LOL

Edited by Get Real

Last year I had the misfortune of sitting between 2 heavyweights on a 15 hour flight . .They were literally oozing out of their own seats into mine . And to make matters worse the guy on the inside was running to the toilet every hour or so .....:sick:

Then what about buffets....I think Fatso should pay more... More for seats. More for buffets. I'm tired of these all you can eat places continually raising there prices. I think they do this cause of all the fatties showing up once they are popular 

I used Motorbike taxis in Bangkok for years without issue and always found them good value, never ripped off once as the fare was always agreed before getting on and taking your life in your hands.  Still kicking so I rarely use them now, figure the odds of getting wiped out were stacking up.   No sympathy for fatties whatsoever, and no idea why the airlines have not taken steps to make 'em pay - has anyone ever flown on an internal USA flight ?  God knows how they get off the ground.

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I think the 80k amount is a little off for a 5 baht surcharge. If you are 175cm or more I would hardly agree with that being overweight. At 185 or more and 80k  many people are almost skinny ( depending where the weight is). At 100k or  more it would be hard to argue the surcharge. Have you ever seen some big ones get on a bike and the back of it almost touches the ground!! I feel sorry for the abuse the bike takes and think maybe even 20 baht additional charge is in order or a complete refusal by the driver is okay. It's his bike why would he want it damaged by Mr/ Mrs fat ass. 

I am quite amazed at the stupidity of the first few posters that got so many likes. 

Maybe TV posters are midgets?

I am 194 cm and around 92-95kg. Fat? I don't think so.

Regardless, not that I would ever take a motorbike taxi in Thailand unless I really have to.

If they want to charge on weight, that's fine, but it shouldn't be about fat but about total weight for the ride, including of course weighing multiple passengers. As long as that's applied objectively and consistently, then it's a fair business practice. Of course, it won't be, but just saying. 

As far as a tall person weighing as much or more than a "fat" person, well, yes, DUH, if you're going to charge "fat" people more based on weight why not the tall person?

Otherwise you're getting into morality bigotry. Are moto drivers morality enforcers? 

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

Simple mathematics. If a person is 50 kg compared to 100-110 kg the motorbike will use more fuel depending on the wieght.
There is also a bigger chance that the motorbikes take a harder beating and more damage from a bigger person.
Totally fair and makes everybody else not have to pay for a general raise that surely occurs out of this reason.

Motorbikes are truly making a stack and most are ok in BKK. Venture to Pattaya for a real robbery. No weight is another scam. What happened to the regimes meters lol. Please spare me most need a loud scream.

4 hours ago, mosan said:

Kind of like FedEx...pay by the kilo. I'm not so sure this isn't a bad idea, though I have to admit, I'm a small guy and may be slightly biased :smile:

Same me i could eat a horse and wouldn't put on any weight but yes i do like the idea of airline tickets selling by weight of passengers  i could fly around the world for  $100 lol 

33 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I am quite amazed at the stupidity of the first few posters that got so many likes. 

Maybe TV posters are midgets?

I am 194 cm and around 92-95kg. Fat? I don't think so.

Regardless, not that I would ever take a motorbike taxi in Thailand unless I really have to.

I am maybe 20kg more, I think the lowest I have ever been in my adult life was 90kg and that was when I was running 10km per day every day.....  that said the average Thai is considerably less than that.  

A motorcycle is going to be designed with an average load in mind, probably averaging one slightly overweight westerner of maybe 100kg to 110kg.  As such regularly using them as a taxi is already going to be hard on them in normal conditions, but add one overweight person and one average weight Thai it is probably going to be beyond the normal tested loads.... and be harder on the motorcycle.  

4 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

These fatties are probably on their way to Swensens.

i totally agree and they should be charged a lot more - hurry up airlines and do the same.

Are we talking weight or BMI now?

im think a 6 ft two man at 110, may not be fat, but may be lumped in with fat people... he may not need exercise either, perhaps being muscle bound

a whole can of worms.... regards air travel... my fare might cover 20kg of undercarriage baggage, but I rarely ever take any, so in fairness, that could be offset against a persons weight.. like I said... a whole can of worms.... plus discrimination... oh yeah... I can see the lawyers already rubbing their hands together.

buy... these wee scooter taxis do have a point.... mind you... they also probably have a manufacturers recommended max weight, not to be exceeded.

4 hours ago, ttthailand said:

I think anyone over 100kg should not be permitted to ride or is up to the driver if he wants to take. Difficult to control those little bikes weaving in and out of traffic with 100kg shifting around on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

A mate of mine is around 130kgs, not fat just big, and the local motosai just refuse to take him....not surprisingly, as the bike would be doing a wheelie with him on the back !