Eye exam/Prescription glasses

typhoon42

Greetings,

Recently lost my prescription glasses.  Currently in Pattaya.

Can anyone recommend a good place for a eye exam for a new prescription and a new set of glasses.  I would require two Rx, one for reading and one for distance, progressive lenses.

Thanks 

owndays at Central Marina is worth a look. Buy one and get 25 percent on the second. It's a mass market budget chain from Japan with totally non-tricky pricing.

You can get the reading one in minutes, but the progressives will take a few weeks. 

https://www.owndays.com/th/en/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/18/2017 at 7:28 PM, Bandersnatch said:

Euro Optic gets my vote as well. Good value, good quality, good service and good English. Bought 2 on the same prescription and got a discount.

and a pretty lady !

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

and a pretty lady !

Dr Maria from Philipines. Highly recommend. She made me up near and far sighted corrective lense glasses asking for no money up front. The progressives I then bought were top notch. She will spend hours if need be to explain to you what's going on with your sight. I tried the chains and they are hit and miss.

• 1 year later...

Hello, can you confirm that Owndays is the solution and that there is no cheaper around ?

Their frames start at 1990 thb

https://www.owndays.com/th/en/products/?search_word=&type=glasses&price=1&brand_code=&material=&origin=&frame=

Anybody tbought them ?

Thank you.

5 hours ago, grkt said:

Hello, can you confirm that Owndays is the solution and that there is no cheaper around ?

Their frames start at 1990 thb

https://www.owndays.com/th/en/products/?search_word=&type=glasses&price=1&brand_code=&material=&origin=&frame=

Anybody tbought them ?

Thank you.

I have never used them, but if I am reading their website correctly the prices shown includes BOTH frames and lenses. The lenses are what they call basic, progressive and transition cost more of course. 

• Like 1

I have never used them, but if I am reading their website correctly the prices shown includes BOTH frames and lenses.

It looks like that to me too, but they also charge 1900B for replacement lenses alone, which seems to make them a lot more expensive for that service than First Optic is.

On 6/5/2018 at 5:59 AM, KittenKong said:

First Optic is definitely much cheaper than Owndays when it comes to replacement lenses. I've been replacing lenses in my glasses for years.

How much does it cost at first optic ?

thanks.

22 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

I have never used them, but if I am reading their website correctly the prices shown includes BOTH frames and lenses. The lenses are what they call basic, progressive and transition cost more of course. 

Also seems to me that they are the cheapest...

6 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Personally, I divide the exercise into two parts - Part 1, go see a respected and qualified ophthalmic surgeon or similar at a private hospital and have a decent eye exam, a full blown eye exam costs me THB 1,000 at CM RAM (Dr Ratchada) get your prescription there. Part 2, shop around for frame and lens prices.

I agree with this approach as well.  Going to a real optometrist or opthamologist is the way to go.  Anyone have recommendations for a good doctor in Pattaya?

12 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

I agree with this approach as well.  Going to a real optometrist or opthamologist is the way to go.  Anyone have recommendations for a good doctor in Pattaya?

I go to Dr. Maria Abalon @ Euro Optic. 

http://www.euroopticinternational.com

• Like 2

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

A good find, an impressive lady who is well qualified.

I found her on this forum. It has pointed me in the right direction for countLess things. She was as good as the high recommendations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moonseeker said:

+ 1 FIRST OPTIC. Great friendly owner. No gimmicks......MS>

Yes he is good,at least 40% cheaper,than the next quoted, do not believe? visit one,then the other,as stated long ago price isn't everything,my book it is,the guys exceptional

If in Jomtien, try the Optometrist outside Tesco Lotus on Chaiyapruek Road. I have had lenses done for 700 -900 baht. I didn't have a car and he kindly picked me up for the eye test and delivered them when they were completed at no extra charge.

• 1 month later...

A friend and I visited Dr. Maria at EuroOptic based on recommendations from this thread. Broken lens and frames were replaced. New titanium frames, progressive (wide angle)transition lens, comprehensive examination; highly recommended, total costs 27k.