Irrigation Dept affirms Lamtakong Dam will supply water until July

webfact

Irrigation Dept affirms Lamtakong Dam will supply water until July

BANGKOK, 31 January 2017 (NNT) - The Royal Irrigation Department has affirmed that Lamtakong Dam in Nakhon Ratchasima Province will be able to supply sufficient water throughout this year’s drought season. 

Deputy Director-General of the Royal Irrigation Department Thongplew Kongjun said the surveys by the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives revealed that 10 dams across the country were at low capacity. These dams consist of Lamtakong, Lam Phra Phloeng, Mun Bon, Lam Chae, Lam Nong Rang, Srinagarind, Vajiralongkorn, Kaeng Krachan, Pranburi, and Bang Lang Dam. Of these dams, those that are able to sustain consumption activities but not off-season agricultural activities are Lamtakong, Lam Phra Phloeng, Mun Bon, Lam Chae and Pranburi Dam. 

As of January 30, Lamtakong contained 87 cubic meters of water, 30 percent the dam’s full capacity. Thongplew affirmed that should the dam follow its prescribed water management policy, the dam will be able to supply water to its vicinity until July.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-01-31

"As of January 30, Lamtakong contained 87 cubic meters of water" - that's about enough water for one family for 6 months, so no worries there RID! :whistling:

Of course, they probably mean 87 million cubic meters, which is probably an oversight by NNBT reporter, and hints at the terrible journalistic standards in understanding and accurately reporting basic units and statistics. Not that one can expect much from one unaccountable state bureaucracy reporting on another unaccountable state bureaucracy, but all the same..... one sees similar shoddy slips from The Nation, Bangkok Post and Thai language press, suggesting it is an endemic problem, especially when reporting on simple units of water measurement, such as volume, flow and even, depth.

Then again, one wonders sometimes why non-news items such as this are even reported as "news", rather than bureaucratic propaganda? :sad:

4 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

So they lost all the water that flooded down south as mis-management meant that they cannot or will not move water to where it is needed. typical Thai ineptitude. 

And you think it is an easy project to pump billions of cubic meters of flood waters 500 to 1000 km north, 300 to 400 meters uphill?

Have you tried to locate the mentioned dams?

The  fact is  that the  drought  continues. There is  no  ineptitude  in   the fact that  insufficient  rains  have  filled the  hydro dams  since  last year. The  water  table in the  entire  north of Thailand is  extremely low although  sufficient  rainfall made  annual cropping adequate for  many.

It is   quite possible  that  urban   masturbators   with  no  farkin  clue  about  the overall  meteorological  aspects  of Thailand  may  have  to satisfy themselves while  enduring frequent power outages later  in  2017..

4 hours ago, plachon said:

"As of January 30, Lamtakong contained 87 cubic meters of water" - that's about enough water for one family for 6 months, so no worries there RID! :whistling:

Of course, they probably mean 87 million cubic meters, which is probably an oversight by NNBT reporter, and hints at the terrible journalistic standards in understanding and accurately reporting basic units and statistics.

Yep, from WiKi it has 310 million cubic meter full capacity.

A tiny one.

Don't worry. So many wrong numbers/decimal powers in these translated reports.

Happens again and again.

5 hours ago, oby said:

Of course the media of your nanny land never make a typo or report false news

You are in Thailand where written and spoken language  is thai, 

Ergo, anything you read here must be translated for you,

Ummmmmmmm, ?do you get it?

I think you are making a lot of assumptions in your rather pathetic rant.

A/ You have no idea where I am from and I am not sure what a "nanny land" is in any case.

B/ You have no idea where I live

c/ This "news" was reported in English and that is what I was commenting on.

D/ I point out in my post that such basic errors are just as likely to occur in Thai language media as well, and I can read Thai, so not everything I read has to be translated.

E/ Your answer shows a fundamental misunderstanding of both the point I was making and why it was relevant in this instance. Please desist from being so obnoxious, whether to myself or anyone else that makes a reasonable post.