TrueVisions to drop Discovery Science and National Geographic, 9 more channels: Supinya

webfact

TrueVisions to drop Discovery Science and National Geographic, 9 more channels: Supinya
By The Nation 

c8db4a6615e406afe218feeb05a94519.jpeg

File photo: Supinya Klangnarong, a member of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC).

BANGKOK: -- True Visions plans to drop again 11 pay-TV channels such as Discovery Science and National Geographic after the country's largest subscription-based TV operator has dropped HBO Asia's six movie channels early this year, according to the broadcasting regulator. 

Supinya Klangnarong, a member of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), revealed via her twitter account last night that the Broadcasting Committee Tuesday received a request letter from True Visions that the company wanted to discontinue its 11 channels namely Discovery Science, BBC Entertainment, National Geographic, Cbeebies, Discovery Kids, M, DMAX, EVE, Block A, Fashion1 and MUTV but the details on effective date has not been disclosed yet. 

True Visions is seeking for approval by the broadcasting panel which will take this matter into consideration next Monday. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30305438

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-01

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like it's time for someone to step up and offer a comprehensive, national CATV/SaTV competitive option to the Truevisions/CP monopoly?

Hopefully broadband providers will increase their offers, but maybe they'll move to a PAYG/buffet style?

Awful service, annually has gotten worse and the price has increased over the years. What a great business plan that is. Try getting your deposit back off them. Your Buddhism will be tested.

The best thing I did was say goodbye over a year ago and signed for expat tv. The wife can't believe she use to watch such slop but as there are little local alternatives, it isn't a surprise.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

"...Supinya Klangnarong, a member of the NBTC, revealed via her twitter account that the Broadcasting Committee received a request from True Visions that the company wanted to discontinue 11 channels..."

As others have noted above, TrueVisions deserve to be well and truly castigated for the rationalisation of their services.

But, one also has to question the "professional" ethics of Ms Klangnarong - a member of the NBTC leaking arguably-damaging information via Twitter. She may well be the chairperson of the NBTC's subcommittee on consumer protection right, but this is not the way to do things given the potential damage her leak will do to True Corp !!!

All I ask is: oh god, please don't drop any Thai cooking channels, the Kathoey talk shows, Thai game shows, Thai soap operas and off-pitch singing contests (I believe that's all we have left?). My Thai partner would commit suicide.

I consider my monthly True payment as a modest mental health insurance premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Their corporate board must be idiots to drop more cable channels in light of the class action lawsuit that is about to be filed against them for dropping the HBO channels.

Personally, I don't care that they dropped these channels.  I have their platinum package, and only watch Sports Illustrated (fka ASN) and the BPL footie on BEIN.  Can't wait to collect my settlement, although I don't expect it for a few years. 

Doesn't happen only in Thailand.

In the UK, Sky TV drops the same 9 channels from their menu starting February 1st.

The only one who never drops these channels is Kodi :smile:

Send me a PM if you want to continue watching them.

Oh, and then they are FREE

6 minutes ago, Allstars said:

The only one who never drops these channels is Kodi

Kodi is great!

I cancelled TrueVisions a couple of weeks ago after they dropped the HBO channels and Cinemax, bought an Android box with Kodi installed, and have been a happy camper ever since!

Would not consider ever returning to TrueVisions... there is so much out there and it's so much better (and cheaper).

NOGEO: TrueVisions to drop 11 more channels: NBTC

By  Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

natgeo.lion_-696x505.jpg

BANGKOK — Subscribers of the country’s largest cable provider will have even less to watch with news emerging it plans to drop nearly a dozen more major channels.

TrueVisions told telecom regulators that it will discontinue 11 pay-TV channels including Discovery, BBC Entertainment and National Geographic, a member of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission tweeted Tuesday night.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2017/02/01/nogeo-truevisions-drop-11-channels-nbtc/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-02-01

16 minutes ago, Encid said:

Kodi is great!

I cancelled TrueVisions a couple of weeks ago after they dropped the HBO channels and Cinemax, bought an Android box with Kodi installed, and have been a happy camper ever since!

Would not consider ever returning to TrueVisions... there is so much out there and it's so much better (and cheaper).

No doubt you're happy with your decision.

By the way,  I'll pass by this afternoon to update your Kodi build.