Crashed rented bike prob

Xaos

On 01/02/2017 at 7:56 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

This is a fairing for said scooter, can be had for about 200$ (the whole kit), I saw one place.

Well if the renter/owner already took the bike, that means he wants more money then the repair will cost. 

Is he a tourist, perhaps get the tourist police involved but it depends what it says on the rental contract if the renter is allowed to get the repairs arranged himself or the owner?

set-body-fairing-red-honda-pcx-125150-v3

Correct. To replace every single piece of plastic on a PCX is circa 6,000 baht and a couple of thousand to fit. Common ripoff this. Honda charge 500 baht for accident assessment but no charge if they fix the damage.

18 hours ago, thetruth revealer said:

wrong , wrong and wrong .....how can you even give statements about the frame condition without ever driven it or seen 1:1 is a miracle !

No your wrong mate.

I gave an estimate of rough costs based on the pics of damaged bike and said 15k Bhat and below I would pay and settle. You can clearly see the frame is not only out of plonk but in two pics clearly snapped off on lower sub - Maybe you need glasses?

With genuine Honda OE replacement panels (NOT cheap Patterned panels) labour and other bits then I estimate up to around 15K bhat and thats without the frame issue. Meanwhile you actually state Maximum 3000 Baht at Honda dealer??

You need the number of a good Proctologist he may help you to stop talking out of your ar $e...

Back to OP;

You hire a vehicle and then damage it you are way out of line taking it to be repaired without the knowledge or consent of the owner, straight away thats a bit dodgy...

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

What was the final bill ?

10k (he owed 2weeks rent too)

Wanted 12700

Amount made up, but to get over it accepted.

Edited by Xaos
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2017 at 0:20 PM, Xaos said:

10k (he owed 2weeks rent too)

Wanted 12700

Amount made up, but to get over it accepted.

I reckon your friend done ok on that, so jobs a good'un (I did say anything less than 15K was about right IMO) Good it all worked out in end.

On 2/2/2017 at 9:54 AM, AlQaholic said:

Go to the police, the shop should have insurance......and not the Tourist police, because they are not actually police officers.....

The tourist police ALWAYS have a real police officer of fairly high rank on duty and he's usually a Farang-friendly type too.

If this happened to me I most definitely would make the tourist police my first port of call.

Edited by tropo

On 2/2/2017 at 1:14 PM, FritsSikkink said:

You don't get to decide where or if the bike will be repaired, that is up to the owner. If you don't meetup he can file criminal charges as you didn't return the bike yourself and don't show up to negotiate about the costs.

He can, but he won't. The court process is expensive and very slow, and he won't make any profit out of it. The renter took it to a very reputable bike shop. I can't see any reason why he'd refuse repairs there other than trying to scam the renter.

The first thing I'd look at is the contract that was signed when renting the bike out.

On 1.2.2017 at 0:31 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

Paid them 500 bath for evaluating the damages to the bike? They would have done that for free.

So how much did the repair shop estimate the repair cost to?

10-15k baht, no way, 5-7baht tops, parts for those small Thai bikes are dirt cheap.

What does the rental contract saying about damage?

Sometimes you will also have to pay rental fee for the days the bike is out of action.

Good luck with it.

if the mechanical damage is minimal, I'd say you are spot on, but I confirm that the repair shop charges 500 baht for issuing an official repair cost estimate that can be used for insurance purposes. The 500 baht can later be deducted from repairs done at the shop.

• Like 1

On 2.2.2017 at 7:14 AM, FritsSikkink said:

You don't get to decide where or if the bike will be repaired, that is up to the owner. If you don't meetup he can file criminal charges as you didn't return the bike yourself and don't show up to negotiate about the costs.

no, but you can get an estimate for the repair costs...

4 hours ago, tropo said:

He can, but he won't. The court process is expensive and very slow, and he won't make any profit out of it. The renter took it to a very reputable bike shop. I can't see any reason why he'd refuse repairs there other than trying to scam the renter.

The first thing I'd look at is the contract that was signed when renting the bike out.

Renting out a bike is a business, if you crash the bike you pay he can make a bit of a profit on that. Not extort people like the jet ski guys do though

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

he can get it repaired anywhere he wants and add administration costs, loss of rental. so your document is useless.

loss of rental is a fixed amount (just rent it a couple of days longer, lol), and "administration costs" can't get out of hand either.

my document is the best thing one can get in this situation, as it will put a stop to any inflated repair costs claim.

Edited by manarak

9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Renting out a bike is a business, if you crash the bike you pay he can make a bit of a profit on that. Not extort people like the jet ski guys do though

I wouldn't call scamming for excessive repair costs part of the business. I wouldn't make too much fuss over a few thousand baht though, but there's a limit.

• 1 year later...

as to being * rear ended* no puns please, i remember that poor girl being tossed into the air by a vehicle. i stop well out of the way, and into the junction, out here they think the  left turn lane arrow is just another lane for straight on i had it the other day, i pulled up, white pick up in arrowed left turn lane, lights change, next thing i know he is along side of me to my left, have seen them barreling along the right turn filter lane  at 60 mph just to try and use the lane as an overtaking opportunity,

On 2/2/2017 at 6:33 PM, thetruth revealer said:

maximum 3000THB at Original Honda Dealer ...

I reckon B10,000 or close .Have rented out bikes myself .With such extensive panel damage its very likely to have also incurred frame and fork damage . 

Edited by anto

On 2/1/2017 at 6:46 PM, NanLaew said:

I guess your friend has to pay whatever price the owner wants. Trying to get repairs done on the sly and then expecting the owner to negotiate when caught out?

very real, in the eyes of the owner make some fixing yourself is just try to hide the accident itself, he has no room for negotiation with who he thinks is a liar... Best shoot go over, apologize, apologize. apologize, pay and learn the lesson for the next time.