Did we make them this bitter?

wump

On 2/2/2017 at 2:12 PM, Suradit69 said:

Quite accustomed to people telling you to be quiet, are you?

A read through any day's posting here at TV will show it's not just the tourists, but quite a few of the farang residents who share those traits. And yes, to assume that anyone who is exposed to all these charmers on a regular basis would not be affected by it makes no sense. 

Actually I think most Thais are amazingly resilient despite all that. Hardly surprising that someone like kannot would only find that others respond to him in kind.

The truth always hurts thats why folk want you to shut  up, Thais dont like the truth. Neither do you it  seems

Edited by kannot

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Now remember before you answer: This thread is for farang-bashing. Use your Thai-bashing in 99% of the other threads."

Well, I reckon that lasted until post#4.

Beats me why some people live here, they despise the Thai that much.

But in answer to your question: yes.

7 hours ago, grollies said:

"Now remember before you answer: This thread is for farang-bashing. Use your Thai-bashing in 99% of the other threads."

Well, I reckon that lasted until post#4.

Beats me why some people live here, they despise the Thai that much.

But in answer to your question: yes.

We are "Farang Bashing"  that is the Farang who think they are Thais so whats yer  problem:tongue:

On 2/2/2017 at 0:42 PM, jak2002003 said:

Wow.. you sure do have a lot of bad luck there.  You must be doing something wrong.  Maybe you look like you are super rich or something? 

I have never had this happen.  I have been here more than 10 years full time. 

You are just telling lies . It happens all the time  but not where i live . Perhaps you should get out more . I drive a tuk tuk . Yesterday went to a noodle shop charged me 45 baht but the price was 35 baht which is what they charged the 2 thai guys i was with . When i asked why she charged me more she just said you are farang . I sometimes go to the same shop and depends who serves me how much i pay . I DO NOT CARE so dont call me a whinger the amount is mostly tiny  but when it is 100% more i am not happy.
 Do you think anyone on here will believe you have not been overcharged once in 10 years in thailand .They all now know you are a liar

2 minutes ago, dazzz said:

You are just telling lies . It happens all the time  but not where i live . Perhaps you should get out more . I drive a tuk tuk . Yesterday went to a noodle shop charged me 45 baht but the price was 35 baht which is what they charged the 2 thai guys i was with . When i asked why she charged me more she just said you are farang . I sometimes go to the same shop and depends who serves me how much i pay . I DO NOT CARE so dont call me a whinger the amount is mostly tiny  but when it is 100% more i am not happy.
 Do you think anyone on here will believe you have not been overcharged once in 10 years in thailand .They all now know you are a liar

That's never happened to me in 15 years either! I tell you what, if you've got a vendor who is overcharging you and telling you that they are just because you're a farang, you're doing something wrong somewhere.

10 hours ago, chiang mai said:

That's never happened to me in 15 years either! I tell you what, if you've got a vendor who is overcharging you and telling you that they are just because you're a farang, you're doing something wrong somewhere.

Why does my Wife always  tell me to disappear when shes trying to buy some things? her answer, they see Farang and up the price.

On 2/2/2017 at 1:26 PM, welovethailand said:

I've heard enough...even on another website UDMap, the winers are the ones who defend their stupidity all the time..

Common sense gets kicked out the window.  Tourism is created to make money and the many involved turn out to be the victims, a lot of the time.

Watch this video and learn a different perspective..

Tourism and the Truth Thailand

Seeing Stacey Dooley is  enough for me to know this  video is total  crap

3 hours ago, kannot said:

Why does my Wife always  tell me to disappear when shes trying to buy some things? her answer, they see Farang and up the price.

Where abouts in Thailand please because we seem to not have that problem here.

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

It is like that all over thailand been happening to me for the last 8 years coming and going to thailand 

if you not have that problem you would not be going out much and buying things off Thais , you would be the only western that is dose not happen to if you are right.

18 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

It is like that all over thailand been happening to me for the last 8 years coming and going to thailand 

if you not have that problem you would not be going out much and buying things off Thais , you would be the only western that is dose not happen to if you are right.

I shop with my wife, she shops by herself, I shop by myself, we/she/I know the price of things, we'd/I'd know if a price was not correct. And most places we buy from have the prices displayed, even the markets. We/she/I shop daily.

44 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I shop with my wife, she shops by herself, I shop by myself, we/she/I know the price of things, we'd/I'd know if a price was not correct. And most places we buy from have the prices displayed, even the markets. We/she/I shop daily.

Good you are very lucky then .

but most of thailand is not like that .

Just now, georgemandm said:

Good you are very lucky then .

but most of thailand is not like that .

I don't agree, I believe charging farangs more when shopping is the exception rather than the rule - most farangs wouldn't know any way and for anyone to claim and actually know first hand that the entire country is that way is a ludicrous idea. I do accept however that some services are charged at a higher rate, particularly daily labour rates and manual work. I also accept that some shops/stalls sometimes have an element of chance about them, if a person looks like they can be taken advantage of, it may well happen but it's far from being a blanket riule.

26 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I don't agree, I believe charging farangs more when shopping is the exception rather than the rule - most farangs wouldn't know any way and for anyone to claim and actually know first hand that the entire country is that way is a ludicrous idea. I do accept however that some services are charged at a higher rate, particularly daily labour rates and manual work. I also accept that some shops/stalls sometimes have an element of chance about them, if a person looks like they can be taken advantage of, it may well happen but it's far from being a blanket riule.

Your opinion ,not mine.

you live in one part of thailand , I get around from the south to the north so I think I have some idea how it is done .

You live in Chiang mai and their is more to thailand that just Chiang Mai .

4 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Bangkok ,Hua  Hin, Pranburi, Sam roi yot,  Koh Samui, items range from anything to anything, the last one was coconut  pieces in a  bag BIG normally when Ive gone there with my staff its 80 baht a big  bag, I went on my own and it was 120........walked across the road 60 baht a bag no farang price, that was about 2  weeks ago...dont go there anymore.

Do they all do it......no, but theres enough  who do, always send the Wife or Staff in first until price agreed then I get out of the car or come out of hiding

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seen many rude and horrid tourists, but also many rude and horrid Thais. It is normal for the pushy people to go where they think they can make loadsacash, and to be sure, some people should never be allowed to leave the country they are inflicted on, but that's life.

many  Thais  cant  leave  the country easily.

There is a demographic group of older men who are solely attracted to Thailand because of its affordable cost of living, its sex-industry, and the misleading initial impression that everyone will smile at you, even if you never reciprocate. Basically, they have little interest in Thai culture, its language or it's people, beyond the bar scene. While quite a number of these men do end up marrying a Thai woman and following her to her home town,  the marriage often doesn't last long because of the language barrier, culture shock, and incompatibilities which they failed to recognize early on because of the aforementioned language barrier and cultural unfamiliarity.

When the relationship ends, these guys typically head back to the same or another touristy hunting grounds similar to where they met their earlier love interest. Because of this pattern, over time you get a buildup in these communities of guys who are jaded and sometimes bitter, who hang out together, reinforce their negative attitudes, and become more emboldened to act out when things aren't the way they think they "should" be. These guys also seem to form cliques which make them very unreceptive to any overtures from "outsiders" or newcomers.

To illustrate, I just came back from a camping trip along the coast. At the campground, I met and had many lengthy and enjoyable conversations with Thais: "Sia and Bow", "Nim and Ud", "Deng, Niw, and Dey," several other Thai couples, along with a half-dozen of the campground staff. There was a team of divers staying at the campground during a training course, and a bunch of them told me what kind of diving jobs they went on. So I had all this interaction with Thais.

But in contrast, there was an area near the campground which while not "touristy", has a rapidly growing farang retiree community. I made several day trips into town to buy food, supplies, use the internet, and sight see.  Even though the local Thais were similarly very welcoming and good-natured, as well as quite honest, I couldn't find a single farang who was interested in engaging in eye contact, much less having a street-side howdy-do, or a conversation.  This, despite passing probably 15-20 foreigners on the street or along the beach. All the foreigners walked by like I was invisible. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Thais notice how foreigners respond to one another. When we're cold and unfriendly towards one another, it doesn't just send a signal to the other foreigner, it also sends a signal to Thais as well. Our reputation isn't just formed by how we treat Thais, but also how we treat one another. Just some food for thought.

Edited by Gecko123

7 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

There is a demographic group of older men, who are attracted to Thailand because of its affordable cost of living, sex-industry, and the misleading initial impression that everyone smiles at you, even if you never reciprocate.  Basically, they have little interest in Thai culture or it's people beyond the bar scene. While quite a number of these men do end up marrying a Thai woman and following her back to her home town,  the marriage often doesn't last long because of the language barrier, culture shock, and incompatibilities as a couple which they were slow to recognize because of the aforementioned language barrier and cultural unfamiliarity.

When the relationship ends, these guys typically head back to the same touristic hunting grounds where they met their earlier love interest. Because of this pattern over time, you get this buildup in these communities of guys who are jaded and sometimes bitter, who hang out together, reinforce their negative attitudes and become more emboldened to act out when things aren't the way they think they "should" be. These guys also seem to form cliques which make them very unreceptive to any overtures from "outsiders" or newcomers.

To illustrate, I just came back from a camping trip along the coast. At the campground, I met and had many lengthy and enjoyable conversations with Thais: "Sia and Bow", "Nim and Ud", "Deng, Niw, and Dey," several other Thai couples, along with a half-dozen of the campground staff. There was a team of divers staying at the campground during a training course, and a bunch of them told me what kind of diving jobs they went on. So I had all this interaction with Thais.

But in contrast, there was an area near the campground which while not "touristy", has a rapidly growing farang retiree community. I made several day trips into town to buy food, supplies, use the internet, and sight see.  Even though the local Thais were similarly very welcoming and good-natured, as well as quite honest, I couldn't find a single farang who was interested in engaging in eye contact, much less having a street-side howdy-do, or a conversation.  This, despite passing probably 15-20 foreigners on the street or along the beach. All the foreigners walked by like I was invisible. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Thais notice how foreigners respond to one another. When we're cold and unfriendly towards one another, it doesn't just send a signal to the other foreigner, it also sends a signal to Thais as well. Our reputation isn't just formed by how we treat Thais, but also how we treat one another. Just food for thought.

Good story,  my  opinion on the foreign see other foreigner , and I see it all the time in the last 8 years, is most of them think you will take their thai girlfriend or wife away from them if they talk to you and you become friends.

i just not understand it as well .

On 2/6/2017 at 4:06 PM, Gecko123 said:

There is a demographic group of older men who are solely attracted to Thailand because of its affordable cost of living, its sex-industry, and the misleading initial impression that everyone will smile at you, even if you never reciprocate. Basically, they have little interest in Thai culture, its language or it's people, beyond the bar scene. While quite a number of these men do end up marrying a Thai woman and following her to her home town,  the marriage often doesn't last long because of the language barrier, culture shock, and incompatibilities which they failed to recognize early on because of the aforementioned language barrier and cultural unfamiliarity.

When the relationship ends, these guys typically head back to the same or another touristy hunting grounds similar to where they met their earlier love interest. Because of this pattern, over time you get a buildup in these communities of guys who are jaded and sometimes bitter, who hang out together, reinforce their negative attitudes, and become more emboldened to act out when things aren't the way they think they "should" be. These guys also seem to form cliques which make them very unreceptive to any overtures from "outsiders" or newcomers.

But in contrast, there was an area near the campground which while not "touristy", has a rapidly growing farang retiree community. I made several day trips into town to buy food, supplies, use the internet, and sight see.  Even though the local Thais were similarly very welcoming and good-natured, as well as quite honest, I couldn't find a single farang who was interested in engaging in eye contact, much less having a street-side howdy-do, or a conversation.  This, despite passing probably 15-20 foreigners on the street or along the beach. All the foreigners walked by like I was invisible. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Thais notice how foreigners respond to one another. When we're cold and unfriendly towards one another, it doesn't just send a signal to the other foreigner, it also sends a signal to Thais as well. Our reputation isn't just formed by how we treat Thais, but also how we treat one another. Just some food for thought.

i  dont  like   having  a  howdy  doody  with  anyone, I dont distinguish if they are Thai, Farang ( any country) or aliens, Ill talk to my plants all day though, or some bird (winged) or an insect, some days  Ill talk to my Wife but not everyday, we dont live together that much maybe  3-4  days a month

On 2/6/2017 at 4:06 PM, Gecko123 said:

What was the topics of discussion?

On 06/02/2017 at 4:06 PM, Gecko123 said:

A good story and quite true but I don't know about the scale of that group whether it's small, very small etc. FWIW I tend to avoid farangs who try to make eye contact and want to howdy-do in shopping centres etc, I don't go out of my way to meet farangs I don't know and I don't have a need to do so, I'm therefore suspicious of motives of these people who want to engage a stranger. In the past when I have had these encounters and I have talked with farang strangers, the conversation has often been negative rather than positive and frequently critical of some aspect of Thailand. Recently in a line of people in a 7-11 there was another farang in the queue ahead of me, about my age he seemed to identify with me as a pal or similar. When a Japanese man uncharacteristically jumped the queue my new would be friend turned to me with that knowing smile and said, "bloody Thai's always pushing in"! Another incident involved a white western male in Tesco who was very poorly dressed and groomed, grubby in his almost white vest and flowery shorts he was seriously underdressed and in ned of a shave and a shower. Sadly he gravitated towards me in the queue and started to chat at full volume, "where ya from", "been here twenty years me", "bloody country's all bent" ......and so on. I never seem to have similar problems with Thai's, in fact I never seem to have any problems with Thai's.

On 2/2/2017 at 11:24 AM, Hans12345 said:

The Golden Rule: Treat others how you want to be treated

Yes, even if mostly it doesn't work. You can only teach by example.

On 2/2/2017 at 11:24 AM, Hans12345 said:

The Golden Rule: Treat others how you want to be treated

The guy in OP's observation seems like a dikc, maybe one of the angry, ex-blue collar heroes who are so emasculated by their ex-bar girl wives, they can only unload their pent up frustrations on an unrelated, dark skinned savage. 

Depends on the venue of course, but I'm pleased and appreciative if a waitress/waiter is paying attention and asks to clear the table.  Positive reinforcement of their effort and a tip given directly to them is a nice response, not snarling like a Soi dog protecting a chicken bone. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2017 at 4:33 PM, chiang mai said:

Only come on her very couple of \weeks as i have a life outside thaivisa.
 i used to live in west london and on rugby days used to drink in the prince of wales pub in earls court . When i went for a beer they used to try to charge me the extra for the fans but when i said i lived ther they dropped the price . When i first went to live in tenby  i paid less for my beer in the winter and found that they thought i was a tourist when i first went there in the summer . Ripped off by taxi driver in new york . Ripped off when i first went to germany and i lived there for 7 years . SO you mr chiang mai are saying one of the most corrupt countries in the world has never overcharged you. I will not say what i think i let it up to the thai vis member to decide whhat type of person you are