Car saleswoman hospitalized after falling down drain at Isuzu dealership.

webfact

Car saleswoman hospitalized after falling down drain at Isuzu dealership

3a.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CHONBURI: -- A car saleswoman showing some customers around an Isuzu dealership slipped and fell down a damaged drain yesterday.

Wanna Lekcharoen, 28, was impaled on the grill of the drain.

Medics rushed to the scene and had to use cutting equipment to free her. Even then one of three spikes that had impaled her left leg was still embedded near a major artery, reports Daily News.

It would later be removed by surgeons at hospital.

A co-worker said that Wanna had slipped and fell down the drain that was in a state of disrepair.

The accident happened at the business on the Chonburi bypass.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-03

Sorry for this woman's misfortune. 

Many know that one needs to be vigilant to the right, the left, above and below when walking in Thailand.  It's not wise to trust stepping on this kind of thing.  I'd think Thais would know this instinctively.

Well, maybe when all the food vendors have been cleared off the streets, some of these problem spots will be fixed. 

The Isuzu dealership will pay her medical bills, give her an apology,, and nothing more will ever come out of this.  Until the courts in Thailand are willing to award substantial damages for negligence that causes injuries or deaths, it will remain less expensive to leave hazardous conditions to persist as the cost of a claim is minuscule in relation to the cost of inspection, maintenance and repair.

Edited by zaphod reborn

1 hour ago, friendphil said:

Well, maybe when all the food vendors have been cleared off the streets, some of these problem spots will be fixed. 

What does the government handling encroachment on public sidewalks have to do with a business delaying the repair of dangerous conditions on their private property?

Edited by zaphod reborn

Maintenance!!!!  The people in charge who are responsible for the care and maintenance of these covers do not know what maintenance means.....

It has never been shown to them.....Typical Thai attitude to everything in Thailand......Not mine!    Who cares?   I don't.....:passifier:

A neighbor of mine fell through a decayed concrete drain cover at the Government housing estate in Na Jomtien,she was in hospital for a day and couldn't walk for week.
A good thing did come of her misfortune the estate management finally got started on replacing all the rotten/broken concrete drain covers with custom made steel grates
there must be a thousand to make its kept the 4 man team occupied for 2 months already
maybe it will be like "painting the Forth bridge"
1486092711651.jpg.260d0105486ce1964010f6

1 hour ago, zaphod reborn said:

The Isuzu dealership will pay her medical bills, give her an apology,, and nothing more will ever come out of this.  Until the courts in Thailand are willing to award substantial damages for negligence that causes injuries or deaths, it will remain less expensive to leave hazardous conditions to persist as the cost of a claim is minuscule in relation to the cost of inspection, maintenance and repair.

Correct me if I am wrong but the showrooms & vehicle service are by franchise only and the buck stops with the local dealer .

51 minutes ago, superal said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the showrooms & vehicle service are by franchise only and the buck stops with the local dealer .

I don't think we can conclude that.  For instance, all the Hyundai dealerships in Thailand have a common owner.

And no matter, the buck does stop there - but the "buck" ain't much, and that's the point.

Well, I was lucky then. I had such grills - made to measure - installed at my company but Somchai was faster than the rust.

Over night some 14 grills disappeared for good (i.e. got sold as scrap metal most likely, although brand new) and I had concrete lids made to replace them. The authorities came and said "no, cannot" as not identical with the construction application (the permit did not even show them) and I told them that "yes, can" because on private property AND that they had refused to take my official complaint at the police station a few days earlieron.

Never ever a problem as the second-hand concrete market seems saturated.

Wishing the lady fast and complete recovery and, my advice is, sue them for millions of Baht. You'll get only a fraction of it but it might teach them a lesson. 

1 hour ago, superal said:

Someone has to carry the can on this one. I am surprised it hit the news. The dealer will more than likely come forward gushing with apologies and promises of financial help. In about 6 mos. her job will become redundant and she will be let go. Moral of the story keep your mouth shut. 

2 hours ago, johng said:

A neighbor of mine fell through a decayed concrete drain cover at the Government housing estate in Na Jomtien,she was in hospital for a day and couldn't walk for week.
A good thing did come of her misfortune the estate management finally got started on replacing all the rotten/broken concrete drain covers with custom made steel grates
there must be a thousand to make its kept the 4 man team occupied for 2 months already
maybe it will be like "painting the Forth bridge"
1486092711651.jpg

That is a ridiculous design,  made of thin steel that will rust in a few months,  after a couple of years the edges will be Iike  a series of saws. 

A kid falling on that would be like an egg going through one of those wire slicers. 

Typical cost cutting Somchai made death trap. 

Why can't they just buy big cast iron covers,  thick bars,  safe,  and last 100 years. 

Any remotely heavy vehicle going over that would buckle it. 

I never understand why they don't use this type. 

images (29).jpg

Edited by Steiner

1 minute ago, Steiner said:

That is a ridiculous design,  made of thin steel that will rust in a few months,  after a couple of years the edges will be Iike  a series of saws. 

A kid falling on that would be like an egg going through one of those wire slicers. 

Typical cost cutting Somchai made death trap. 

Why can't they just buy big cast iron covers,  thick bars,  safe,  and last 100 years. 

Any remotely heavy vehicle going over that would buckle it. 

also not galvanized so not fit for purpose and as mentioned earlier an easy target  for scrap dealers  

The concrete covers didn't stand up at all to pickup trucks,
they cant use cast iron because almost none if the holes are a standard size (government project)
I think the steel will last more than a few months (the whole project is only 5 years old) but do agree that when they get rusty they will be even more dangerous than the concrete covers.

On 03/02/2017 at 6:11 AM, Reigntax said:

And there are 100's of similar drain covers where ever you go in Thailand in the same condition and ignored.

Haven't seen any around my way so "wherever you go" is a bit of an axaggeration.

On 03/02/2017 at 8:54 AM, jollyhangmon said:

She slipped? More likely that rotten grill broke due to old age and minus zero maintenance.
Also that hole visible above it is an ankle-breaker, especially for chicks in wrong sort of shoes ... 

"...chicks in wrong sort of shoes..."

You must mean flat shoes, anything other than heels is wrong for women!

4 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

"...chicks in wrong sort of shoes..."

You must mean flat shoes, anything other than heels is wrong for women!

... now, as you mention it ;-)

Yes, i herewith stand corrected ... 

P.S.: talkin' about accidents, just stepped into some fn little piece of old barbed-wire 15 min ago which some damn dumb-f left in the garden, probably years ago. 

Ouch, bled like a stabbed pig but not really a biggie because i use some old Crocs for gardening with that pretty thick soles - with standard flip-flops i'd probably be in hospital right now ... 

Edited by jollyhangmon