High Quality Whole Coffee Beans

brucegoniners

We are moving from Bangkok to Jomtien next week and we've got to have our coffee and I'm very particular about the quality.  

We've been buying beans for years at JJ Mall in Bangkok at Bona Coffee.  Great, fresh beans.

Does anyone know of a place like that in the Jomtien/Pattaya area that has freshly roasted coffee beans (not a year old like Starbucks)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bruce

This is in Pattaya. The best place still is Benjamit on the edge of the Tuesday-Friday market grounds off Soi Buakhao. It's 140 baht for roasted 100% arabica beans in 250g bag. The beans come from the Chiang Rai area. I buy the Vienna roast. There are more expensive beans.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

2 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

This is in Pattaya. The best place still is Benjamit on the edge of the Tuesday-Friday market grounds off Soi Buakhao. It's 140 baht for roasted 100% arabica beans in 250g bag. The beans come from the Chiang Rai area. I buy the Vienna roast. There are more expensive beans.

This is correct. Benjamit has Thai Arabica for 140, their own blends for 200 and 250, and many single origin for 400 baht. All roasted on-site. 

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They're OK for Pattaya, but Bangkok has much better. 

Complete nonsense, there's no reason to look to BKK. I'm convinced that you know nothing about coffee. You argued before about this shop when you tried to tell everyone they imported already-roasted beans. That was 100% false. You don't know about coffee, please stick to your food posts. 

Edited by kicking

7 hours ago, kicking said:

Complete nonsense, there's no reason to look to BKK. I'm convinced that you know nothing about coffee. You argued before about this shop when you tried to tell everyone they imported already-roasted beans. That was 100% false. You don't know about coffee, please stick to your food posts. 

Agree. Bennjamit take extraordinary care roasting their beans (EVERY bean is inspected) and the results are consistent and delicious. Another outlet is Ordinary Coffee in Huay Yai. They don't roast on site but they have an interesting selection of beans.

I can't defend against such an obnoxious trolling personal attack probably distorting some question out of context from several years ago. I have no recollection of what that member is accusing me of from the past. It is against rules here to dig up stuff from the past especially years ago in that way as well so don't even waste time researching it. I didn't refer to that aspect here anyway so stick to the topic here not character assassination campaigns.

My subjective opinion based on brewing their beans at home and drinking in the shop is just OK. Everyone is free to try it themselves. If they think it is world class ... well good.

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They are better than OK, IMO. Living in BKK now, I buy beans from Brainwake Cafe (bottom of 33 Suk) and Wawee brand at some big Aeon MaxValu stores. The latter are 250 baht/250g bags. But the Benjamit arabica beans are almost as good for half the price (140 baht). I use a Viet phin to make coffee.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I can't defend against such an obnoxious trolling personal attack probably distorting some question out of context from several years ago. I have no recollection of what that member is accusing me of from the past. It is against rules here to dig up stuff from the past especially years ago in that way as well so don't even waste time researching it. I didn't refer to that aspect here anyway so stick to the topic here not character assassination campaigns.

My subjective opinion based on brewing their beans at home and drinking in the shop is just OK. Everyone is free to try it themselves. If they think it is world class ... well good.

This is the only forum I know where an argument can break out and get nasty over.....wait for it.....coffee beans???

Thanks to both of you for your opinions.

I ordered some from the Coffee Bean Roasting in Bangkok to try them out. If they pass muster I will continue to do so.

And when I arrive in Pattaya I will sample the shop there and then make a decision.

4 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Agree. Bennjamit take extraordinary care roasting their beans (EVERY bean is inspected) and the results are consistent and delicious. Another outlet is Ordinary Coffee in Huay Yai. They don't roast on site but they have an interesting selection of beans.

Where in Huay Yai is it? Never mind, I Googled it.

Edited by giddyup

18 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

This is the only forum I know where an argument can break out and get nasty over.....wait for it.....coffee beans???

Thanks to both of you for your opinions.

I ordered some from the Coffee Bean Roasting in Bangkok to try them out. If they pass muster I will continue to do so.

And when I arrive in Pattaya I will sample the shop there and then make a decision.

My objection was about offensive TROLLING. What kind of sick behavior is it to refer to an out of context item in a thread from SEVERAL YEARS BACK to trash someone personally? 

As far as the beans at the shop in question, or anywhere, that's SUBJECTIVE. Someone may think McDonald's has the best burgers in the world and many people might think that such people have moronic taste, but it doesn't really matter. If they like to eat there and love the food, great for them. 

I would love to find a bean shop locally that pushes my flavor buttons, but I just haven't and I stopped even looking. I buy "OK" beans at Friendship, Boncafe brand. Benjamit would probably work as well for me and I might just shop there again. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 2/3/2017 at 0:26 PM, Jingthing said:

Your allowed your opinion  on here JT,unfortunately most of your comments follow the "I know better than you" tone,unless you give it your seal of approval everyone else,s recommendations on here are dismissed.......... :whistling:

Just now, petermik said:

Your allowed your opinion  on here JT,unfortunately most of your comments follow the "I know better than you" tone,unless you give it your seal of approval everyone else,s recommendations on here are dismissed.......... :whistling:

That's rubbish. I know my tastes better than anyone else. That's it. If you want to project more than that with your filters, that is YOUR issue, not mine. 

While you can no doubt get acceptable coffee from older beans, for the full flavour you have to grind them within a week or so after roasting (but not in the first four days otherwise you will get excess crema). So best to find a supplier where they display the roasting date of the beans, and you can get them soon after roasting; which is why I prefer Benjamit. Then grind for each cup and serve immediately.

The 15/15/15/15 guideline!

http://peoplescoffee.co.nz/freshly-roasted-coffee/

On 2/4/2017 at 10:31 AM, Jingthing said:

As far as the beans at the shop in question, or anywhere, that's SUBJECTIVE. Someone may think McDonald's has the best burgers in the world and many people might think that such people have moronic taste, but it doesn't really matter. If they like to eat there and love the food, great for them. 

I would love to find a bean shop locally that pushes my flavor buttons, but I just haven't and I stopped even looking. I buy "OK" beans at Friendship, Boncafe brand. Benjamit would probably work as well for me and I might just shop there again. 

To all contributors to this thread I propose a "coffee morning" where we can all meet up and taste/try each others particular favourites and have a meaningful discussion on their merits,Rimmer could hopefully attend in his moderator capacity just in case things get out of hand...........I propose Valentines day (14th tuesday week) at JT,s pad (I don,t want to cause him any problem with regard to using the songtaews) I will happily provide the fairy cakes and look forward to what could be a very enjoyable morning......:thumbsup:

p.s. Benjamit was doing a roaring trade again earlier this morning as I walked past.

Slightly off topic but I hope someone can provide direction. I prefer to going my own and I am looking to purchase a quality burr grinders. I strongly prefer electric but wouldn't rule out manual.  I don't need a Rancilio Rocky quality unit, plus they're above my price range. Does anyone have any ideas where to find a decent selection in Bkk or Pats??