Work Permit Expired

10 hours ago, overherebc said:

As long as his multi is valid he can continue on by leaving Thaind and re-entering every 90 days. I have done so and was never asked any questions about WP etc at Imm'.

If asked his best answer is to say he has an interview coming up and will get  a WP soon.

So if he wants to continue on, he needs to get out of the Country and see what he gets on re-entry.

I don't believe that he should wait very long. 

Rather than go figure out from immigration or lawyers, probably best to get out quickly and see what happens on return.

Flights should be getting cheap again from about tuesday after the chinese new year, and normally afterwards start to become very cheap at this time of year.

9 minutes ago, jojothai said:

So if he wants to continue on, he needs to get out of the Country and see what he gets on re-entry.

I don't believe that he should wait very long. 

Rather than go figure out from immigration or lawyers, probably best to get out quickly and see what happens on return.

Flights should be getting cheap again from about tuesday after the chinese new year, and normally afterwards start to become very cheap at this time of year.

To be honest I answered on the basis he has a multi entry B visa. If he has, and taking his word on it my answers are correct. If he finds out he is actually on an extension of stay then he has to find out from his employer, he did mention he has a good relationship with him, and he has to do it quickly.

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

To be honest I answered on the basis he has a multi entry B visa. If he has, and taking his word on it my answers are correct. If he finds out he is actually on an extension of stay then he has to find out from his employer, he did mention he has a good relationship with him, and he has to do it quickly.

Yes, good point they may be able to help clarify. Very good if he has a good relationship. 

Just did a quick check on flights

Tuesday not so cheap yet. Wednesday better  

Air Asia RGN return 2600 to 3700 THB. But if you need a visa for the turn round its extra cost 50USD and takes 2-3days max.

KL 3600 to 4200 THB may be simplest.

VIE similar price but check what you may have to pay for a visa if needed.

Only checked a few I know well. Could be some others a bit cheaper but don't expect much less.

19 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Hazard a guess; you were actually  on Non-B + extensions rather than Non B multiple entry .....  many people get the two confused.

Well in my passport it says multiple entry and one year, but i am sure you are correct.

15 hours ago, kovaltech said:

a valid non B VISA does not expire before the end date... but posters above are mixing a extension of stay, based on a previous Non B, with a normal VISA Non B...

The OP is confused to, as well is smutcakes.

A Extension of stay with multiple re-entry permit, is not the same as a Non B Visa with multiple entry...

Can you explain why my visa says Non B and Multiple entry? 

And validity one year?

Would it not say 3 month? or extension of stay?

Edited by smutcakes

Wow the misinformation is overwhelming in this forum.  I just had the same issue a month ago and strangely a top poster here has given the OP different information than he gave me then but nevertheless. 

The op said WP expired, not cancelled. Not the same thing, not the same burden on the holder. No need to cancel or turn in the WP.

If a WP expires, an extension of stay based on that WP expires the same day and you must exit the country or apply for a 7 day extension. No need to formally cancel your extension of stay but must exit the country and return on exemption or visa. The extension cancels itself when you leave the country and and re-enter. If he was here on a non-imm visa, which he insists he is, that has a later expiration than the WP then the visa remains valid until it expires but he cannot work until getting a new WP.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is a multiple re-entry permit not a visa.

You have a extension of stay that it is based upon issued at the one stop center.

Whatever it is, it is the same as 99% of farangs working here, and i am sure the same as the OP. And i expressed what happened when i changed jobs, and i am sure it will be the same for the OP.

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

If your WP is issued on an extension the the extension finishes on the same day as your WP is cancelled. Worst case would be WP cancelled on the day after you have been extended for 90 days and you stay here during those 90 days Imm' will know when they check so you will have nearly 90 days overstay. Get arrested on a stop and check in those 90 days could be a world of hurt.

In principle, that is what is supposed to happen, but the practical implications are almost nil.

For all intents and purposes, the extension of stay (EOS) is valid until the time it is marked 'VOID' on your passport i.e. cancelled.

If EOS was issued at the One Stop Service Center, only they can cancel the EOS with supported documents from your ex-employer.

Upon cancellation, you get 7 days to leave the country (if extension of stay issued at One Stop Service Center)

If EOS was issued elsewhere, you need to leave the very same day.

A 7-day extension can be applied for, if this is not possible.

If you do not get the extension of stay cancelled, but your WP is cancelled,

you can still use the extension of stay to enter/leave the country until it's expiry.

WP/labor and immigration records are not linked, at least not at this time.

The caveats here are:

1) This is a grey area/ a loophole that should be avoided whenever possible.

2) If you intend on working in Thailand again, then the issue could definitely come up when you apply for a new WP.

This could trigger an overstay fine of up to 20,000 baht and/or other complications.

Please provide the complete picture rather than posting a few lines of unsubstantiated drivel.

Edited by varun

54 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Well in my passport it says multiple entry and one year, but i am sure you are correct.

As I suspected..... NON-B extension ........ yes, people often get confused between this and a multiple entry on which one DOES have to leave the country every 90 days.

Edited by lemonjelly

Just now, ubonjoe said:

But it probably expired long ago like that one is since it has been more than a year since it was issued. 

Yes, i believe people have to get them originally then they are transferred to what i have. I presume it would be the same for the OP. Which is why i told hm what happened when i changed jobs.

18 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Chaeng Wattana does not issue visas. As UJ said, you were given an extension of stay by immigrations.

Although some people think it's nitpicking to distinguish between a visa and an extension of stay, this is one (of many) examples when the difference is important. A visa issued by an embassy or consulate would not be cancelled, but an extension of stay ends when the reason for it ends.

Oh yes they do - please find below/attached a picture of a single entry Non-B issued by Chaeng Wattana.

visa.jpg

12 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Oh yes they do - please find below/attached a picture of a single entry Non-B issued by Chaeng Wattana.

They issue one that is only valid for the date it is issued and then a 90 day entry is given and it is only issued based upon qualifying for an extension of stay of some kind.

That was in reply a post claiming that they were issued a multiple entry non-b visa that immigration does not do.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They issue one that is only valid for the date it is issued and then a 90 day entry is given and it is only issued based upon qualifying for an extension of stay of some kind.

That was in reply a post claiming that they were issued a multiple entry non-b visa that immigration does not do.

When I got one of those a good few years ago it was confusing when they stamped USED on it straight away, I'm sure they did do.

Do not confuse the words "work visa and work permit". Thailand only has "work permits".  You must also have a nonb visa attached to your work permit for the same length of time as your work permit. If your NonB visa is "connected to your work permit" which it would/should have been,  then you are required to leave the country the day that your work permit expires.It does not matter what expiry date is on your NonB visa. They rarely, if ever, coincide. 

You will be required to pay overstay from Jan 31st. You cannot work legally at this time. You do so at your own risk. 

Also a nonb visa,  properly connected to your work permit,  never requires you to leave the country every 90 days. 

19 minutes ago, Queen4ADay said:

Do not confuse the words "work visa and work permit". Thailand only has "work permits".  You must also have a nonb visa attached to your work permit for the same length of time as your work permit. If your NonB visa is "connected to your work permit" which it would/should have been,  then you are required to leave the country the day that your work permit expires.It does not matter what expiry date is on your NonB visa. They rarely, if ever, coincide. 

You will be required to pay overstay from Jan 31st. You cannot work legally at this time. You do so at your own risk. 

Also a nonb visa,  properly connected to your work permit,  never requires you to leave the country every 90 days. 

Exactly what i have been saying, and my experience when i changed jobs. They cancelled WP and i had to leave in short order.

10 minutes ago, Queen4ADay said:

A bit wrong on a couple of points.

The only visa required is a Non Imm' visa.

A non Imm' B or O visa can be 90 day single or 1 year multi.

If you get your work permit based on a B single 90 days you will change to an extension for the rest of the year.

You will then do 90 reports or your company will. At the end of the job your extension will be cancelled.

If you have a multi entry 1 year B you must leave and return every 90 days. If during that year you finish work your B will not be cancelled and you can use it until the enter by date.

If you get your WP based on a Multi O based on being married you will still leave and return every ninety days I to stop work during that year you will keep your multi O and use it until its enter by date.

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Exactly what i have been saying, and my experience when i changed jobs. They cancelled WP and i had to leave in short order.

Because you didn't have a visa, you had an extension of permission to stay and work with your work permit..

Just now, overherebc said:

Because you didn't have a visa, you had an extension of permission to stay and work with your work permit..

Which i believe is the same as a vast amount of people working here in companies in BKK, and i presume the OP as well.

32 minutes ago, Queen4ADay said:

Wow !  You could not be more wrong if you tried - STOP !

12 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Which i believe is the same as a vast amount of people working here in companies in BKK, and i presume the OP as well.

There is a very simple set of rules to follow.

1. If you are not leaving Thailand every 90 days you are on an extension and either you or your company is doing 90 day reports to Imm'

2. If you must leave Thailand and re-enter every 90 days you have a visa. ( Multi entry) O or B. See the one I posted before.

A good few years ago I attended a 3 day course in a learning centre in BKK It however didn't include the cost of the flight back to UK for a new visa. I learned there the in and outs, excuse the pun, on visas, extensions and WP's.

For those interested it's called IDC.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

There is a very simple set of rules to follow.

1. If you are not leaving Thailand every 90 days you are on an extension and either you or your company is doing 90 day reports to Imm'

2. If you must leave Thailand and re-enter every 90 days you have a visa. ( Multi entry) O or B. See the one I posted before.

A good few years ago I attended a 3 day course in a learning centre in BKK It however didn't include the cost of the flight back to UK for a new visa. I learned there the in and outs, excuse the pun, on visas, extensions and WP's.

For those interested it's called IDC.

Maybe worth mentioning that the Non-Imm OA does not require leaving every 90 days and does require 90 day reports.