Stomach problems: I need to find a hotel with kitchen in the unit or good restaurant

soistalker

Hi guys,

I am coming to Bangkok to go to the hospital and hopefully take care of a stomach problem. 

The problem is, I'll be staying in a hotel, and need to eat very bland food. I have been eating nothing but chicken, broccoli and green vegetables, and rice for weeks. If I eat this, I don't get terrible stomach pain.

I need to find a relatively inexpensive hotel with a kitchen in the unit or a restaurant near Nana BTS that has food of a similar bland nature.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

check the grand president on sukhumvit soi 11.  they have a deluxe suite with a full kitchen and it is less than 3,000thb/nt.  they have a restaurant, plus many more on soi 11, plus you can shop for food at foodland on soi 5. 

if you need cheaper, check agoda.com.  many low price rooms have a fridge and microwave if that will work for you as a kitchen.

15 minutes ago, soistalker said:

My budget is $30 a night. And I don't see how I can cook chicken breast in a microwave.

You will not find a hotel room in Bangkok with a kitchen on your budget, unless you do a one month contract and even then you will be pushing your luck.

Edited by chiang mai

Best solution for you is to take (or buy if you don't have one) a small steamer. That will cook everything you need to the level you want it, and all you need is a hotel room with an outlet beefy enough to run a kettle. And steamers are great for cooking all sorts of stuff anyway, so if you have to buy one, it won't go to waste when you go home. We use ours all the time - it cooks broccoli to perfection. We also steam chicken breast sometimes, (although we eat it with a very spicy sauce), and it cooks that perfectly as well.

For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Russell-Hobbs-21140-Three-Tier-9L-Food-Rice-Vegetable-Egg-Steamer-800W-/162215071163

Edited by nisakiman

2 hours ago, Thainess said:

Your budget is $30 a night, and you're sick? You DEFINITELY shouldn't be in Thailand. I hope you have very good insurance.

I've been coming to Thailand two times a year since 2001, so I don't know what you're on about. 

But thanks for the comment, Mister Helper. ? 

Seriously, bacteria and viruses are present everywhere in food in Thailand. Did you have stomach problems BEFORE first coming to Thailand? If not, then you know the cause. Exotic bacteria can play havoc with your system. Thailand is the country where I have diarrhea more than any other country on earth.

Thailand is the last place where you should be if you have stomach problems. Even the boiled chicken from the street/food court will have some spices and crap in it. I know because I am supposed to be on a strict diet too due to gerd.

That being said, gourmet grocery store at the mall bangkapi where I shop sells 2 premade chicken breasts for 50 baht. I just mix that with salad or in your case rice and should be OK. Or just buy electric stove top for 1000 baht and make your own chicken.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2017 at 5:20 PM, chiang mai said:

Try ordering cow mun gai on the street and at food stalls, white boiled rice and boiled chicken, hold the gravy perhaps which is more of a salty broth - about as bland as bland can be.

I don't think it would be advisable for the OP to eat at any of the street food stalls with him having stomach problems.

Have you not read about the hygiene or seen the food left lying out in the sun?

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I don't think it would be advisable for the OP to eat at any of the street food stalls with him having stomach problems.

Have you not read about the hygiene or seen the food left lying out in the sun?

I've read about many things about street food, few of which I actually see, mostly because I eat somewhere else if there's even a hint of food that is off, being handled poorly, not looking right etc. It also helps to eat at places where loads of other people eat. FWIW the chicken used in cow mun gai is steamed not fried and is subject to high heat for quite long periods.

On 2/4/2017 at 7:25 PM, nisakiman said:

Best solution for you is to take (or buy if you don't have one) a small steamer. That will cook everything you need to the level you want it, and all you need is a hotel room with an outlet beefy enough to run a kettle. And steamers are great for cooking all sorts of stuff anyway, so if you have to buy one, it won't go to waste when you go home. We use ours all the time - it cooks broccoli to perfection. We also steam chicken breast sometimes, (although we eat it with a very spicy sauce), and it cooks that perfectly as well.

For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Russell-Hobbs-21140-Three-Tier-9L-Food-Rice-Vegetable-Egg-Steamer-800W-/162215071163

this is an excellent suggestion...when I was working in Vietnam living in provincial hotels where the food was inedible I bought a microwave and used it to cook everything for which there are loads of recipes in the internet, even curries...I was lucky to have a market close by in most cases...chicken breast and whatever available veg was a perennial favorite, dosed with soy sauce...sometimes good lookin' sea fish bought whole then filleted...

the steamer arrangement looks to be even more convenient...evacuate the minbar fridge to use fer food storage, do all yer washin' up in the bathroom...no need for a kitchen...

a man's hotel room is his castle...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 months later...

You should try leaving Thailand. I had terrible stomach problems in Thailand for months, tried changing my diet to no avail, then left and returned to the UK. Within 2 weeks, no more stomach problems. Problems never returned. Better quality food and more hygienically prepared in Europe.

2 hours ago, Thainess said:

You should try leaving Thailand. I had terrible stomach problems in Thailand for months, tried changing my diet to no avail, then left and returned to the UK. Within 2 weeks, no more stomach problems. Problems never returned. Better quality food and more hygienically prepared in Europe.

Exactly what happens to me it will go on for months. Even with a totally bland diet.  The only time it seems to clear up is with a dose of antibiotics.  But not good to take those long time so it usually comes back few days after I stop which I assume means it is bacteria related.

I don't get why people recommend the OP to get out of Thailand, suggesting their own anecdotal diagnosis, etc. You clearly didn't read his question - he's coming to Thailand to get hospital treatment for his pre-existing (and probably diagnosed) stomach problem

One option is to look for short term condo rentals at AirBnb for example, since they are condos a lot of them will have a simple kitchen and utensils.

Other options would be eating fresh fruits if your stomach can tolerate them. Cooking vegetables in a microwave is definitely doable, just Google how to do it properly. Can't really recall which hotels I've stayed in that have had microwaves and which ones didn't, but at least @Mind Sukhumvit 85 I am sure has microwaves in every room (I stayed there for a long time once and had to change rooms and room types a couple of times). 

I have bought a rice cooker for a 2-3 week trip and left it for the staff when I left the hotel ,

lightweight and 200-300 baht

antibiotics should only be given by a Doctor  and not often , they way they will keep working for you when you really need them ,

Find out what is wrong with you before taking antibiotics , and take the full course and not stop after a few days once you start feeling better ,

Good Luck.....

On 2/5/2017 at 0:43 PM, nisakiman said:

Don't feed the trolls. They just keep coming back for more.

I'm not a "troll", I'm trying to help the guy to see reality. Thailand is no longer a cheap destination, in particular Bangkok. The pound is going to be under 40 baht very soon. 2 years ago, it was 56 baht to one £. If you're so short of money that your budget is only $30 day, you had better have very good health insurance in case you get sick (and the guy already said he's sick). Cambodia and Africa cater to your type of low-budget tourists these days, although neither of them offer good health care.

I have bought a rice cooker for a 2-3 week trip and left it for the staff when I left...

Yeah, the cooker is perfect. Once the rice gets going you can just through the chicken and veggies on top and close it back up for a while.

That said, unless it's a dump, the hotel is likely to frown on stinking up the floor cooking rice.

Google up how to use a microwave.