Immigration Korat dress code

45 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Yes, a real retard appearently. It´s amazing how many people exists that just don´t get it. Another fine example is when you go in to an air-conditioned and closed restaurant or pub. Here you can see all the maniacs in their pride with sleeveless tanktops, unbottoned shirt together with beach-shorts and high fashion neon coloured flip-flops. I should be a hefty fine on such behaviour.

"It should be a hefty fine for such behaviour".  I think that is just going a bit too far, refusing to serve them or throwing them out,should be enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

I make them right, however, by the very nature of their business that a certain percentage of their foot traffic would be tourists .. it's  another example of double standards - yeah, c'mon come to Thailand, free visas all round, we want your money, come spend a couple of weeks enjoying our beaches - but when you want the third month make sure you look smart or we won't talk to you.

I think you may have misinterpreted what is meant. I got flamed by one of the perennial flamers on a previous post about this self same immigration office accusing me of living in a land of fairies and unicorns all because I praised the service level of the staff there. 

Surely to God it cannot be that even in today's world where standards have slipped to such an extent that showing even a modicum of respect is abhorrent to people making a visit to a Governmental office?

it is not double standards it is common courtesy. A courtesy that is likely not shown to the immigration officers by those REQUESTING the xtesion but a courtesy that they will in any case provide you by giving you your extension of stay irrespective. 

You, I the tourists and any non Thai national do not have the automatic right to live here, it is entirely at the discretion of the government. 

Once the illiterati get that into their their thick skulls  the more likely will promote the good will  they so desperately need to obtain that which they seek. 

An an earlier post remarked about the dress sense of many visiting Patts immigration and maybe I am out of order here but does that not indicate to you the possibility that the service level that some bleat about ad naseum when referring to Patts immigration may, just may be a result of the level of respect they offer the government officials working there?

or am I wasting my time trying to explain this? 

I am not not having a go neither am I flaming you so if I come across as if I am you have my apologies but my experience in life is that 98% of the time you get what you give in life. 

Cheers

.......and now it is time for me to duck under the parapet to avoid the flak that for sure I will raise here.... 

WHy it s only in thailand falang look  so bad really , go singapore , south korea , japan , not same falang come there really , good looking, respect culture ,  but in thailand   it s seem we got  all the bad people  from earth 

I'm not sure that this is true I was just there in shorts, a plain collared shirt, and sandals a few days ago to do my 90 day report and I never have ever had any problems there.  I'm always in and out in 5 to 10 minutes, probably because I get there a little early, and no one has ever given me any crap over my shorts and sandals never one time.  I've also have never seen these signs at Korat Immigration unless they just put them up in the last 2 days, unless they like just put them up I've never seen them, and like I said I was just there the other day and I did my 90 day report with no problems I never have had any problems there.  I actually think they're pretty nice there as long as all your paperwork is legal and you have it all in order you shouldn't have anything to worry about because all they care about is your documents.  They have never given me any problems.  

Now when I go there I don't wear flip flops as in shower shoes, I wear real sandals nice ones not shower shoes so maybe that's why they don't give me a hard time.  I also wear decent looking shorts with a belt as well, and a conservative looking collared shirt.  Not a t-shirt.  So I dress very casually when I go there and very comfortably with shorts on and wearing sandals and I have never had anyone there at Korat Immigration give me a hard time about it and I was just there a few days ago.  

When I first started doing my 90 day report there I actually would dress up nice actually with the tie on and everything but I noticed everyone else wearing flip flops I mean like shower shoes, pull on shorts like I wear to bed, and regular T-Shirts.  

So now I don't bother putting on a suit anymore when I go down there to report because I never see anyone else there dressed up I was always over dressed.  I do wear a good pair of sandals (NOT FLIP FLOPS SHOWER SHOES), a decent pair of leather shorts with a belt, and a nice conservative collared shirt, so I dress mildly causal I don't go in there looking like I just got out of the swimming pool.  Maybe they are cracking down on the people who dress overly causal because I see people dressed like that there all the time.  

In fact I saw people wearing shower shoes when I was there just a few days ago and none of the Immigration officials were concerned about it, they were just going on about there business.  So unless something has changed in the past 2 days I've never seen this.  

When I first started doing my 90 day report there almost 2 years ago now I would always go in a business suit because I wanted to make a good impression.  I definitely want to maintain good relations with immigration.  I eventually started dressing somewhat causally wearing leather shorts with a belt and sandals so I don't over do the causal.  I started dressing causally because I see everyone else down there dresses causally.  I've seen some people there including the other day when I was down there wearing tank tops, basketball shorts, and flip flops and the immigration officers didn't seem to care.  So I I've never noticed this it's never been an issue whenever I go down there every 3 months.  

Are you sure this was in Korat?  Honestly I was just there the other day and I I didn't notice anything like this.  Maybe it's just because I don't dress overly causal. I dress causal but conservative so I don't know maybe that's why they leave me alone because I don't over do it. You should always dress at least somewhat conservatively when you're in a foreign country just to prevent drawing attention to yourself.  Me personally I dress plainly and never wear any t-shirts that advertise anything or with any logals just collard shirts and these days shorts and sandals.  In fact I dress like that in the states and pretty much anywhere just to prevent from sticking out.  

I wear shorts and sandals there all the time but I look respectful I'm causally dressed but respectfully dressed.  Sometimes I'll dress up as long as I'm not running late I like to arrive there early before it gets to crowded.  I actually think the service at Korat Immigration is absolutely outstanding.  When I go to report I'm always done in like 10 minutes quick in and out because I have all my documents organized and ready for them.  Of course in any government building you obviously shouldn't go in there looking like a bumb that's just disrespectful and looks bad on us as foreigners here.  

Edited by John F Gill
  • Like 1

Back in the days when trying to stay on tourist visas I always thought I should dress like a tourist. Shorts, flip-flops etc. I thought it would look very weird to arrive dressed like a ' business'  man whilst trying to get an extention for a tourist visa. To me that would be suspicious. Haha, but I think it doesn't work like that in Thailand.

• Like 2

I'm not sure that this is true I was just there in shorts, a plain collared shirt, and sandals a few days ago to do my 90 day report and I never have ever had any problems there.  I'm always in and out in 5 to 10 minutes, probably because I get there a little early, and no one has ever given me any crap over my shorts and sandals never one time.  I've also have never seen these signs at Korat Immigration unless they just put them up in the last 2 days, unless they like just put them up I've never seen them, and like I said I was just there the other day and I did my 90 day report with no problems I never have had any problems there.  I actually think they're pretty nice there as long as all your paperwork is legal and you have it all in order you shouldn't have anything to worry about because all they care about is your documents.  They have never given me any problems.  

Now when I go there I don't wear flip flops as in shower shoes, I wear real sandals nice ones not shower shoes so maybe that's why they don't give me a hard time.  I also wear decent looking shorts with a belt as well, and a conservative looking collared shirt.  Not a t-shirt.  So I dress very casually when I go there and very comfortably with shorts on and wearing sandals and I have never had anyone there at Korat Immigration give me a hard time about it and I was just there a few days ago.  

When I first started doing my 90 day report there I actually would dress up nice actually with the tie on and everything but I noticed everyone else wearing flip flops I mean like shower shoes, pull on shorts like I wear to bed, and regular T-Shirts.  

So now I don't bother putting on a suit anymore when I go down there to report because I never see anyone else there dressed up I was always over dressed.  I do wear a good pair of sandals (NOT FLIP FLOPS SHOWER SHOES), a decent pair of leather shorts with a belt, and a nice conservative collared shirt, so I dress mildly causal I don't go in there looking like I just got out of the swimming pool.  Maybe they are cracking down on the people who dress overly causal because I see people dressed like that there all the time.  

In fact I saw people wearing shower shoes when I was there just a few days ago and none of the Immigration officials were concerned about it, they were just going on about there business.  So unless something has changed in the past 2 days I've never seen this.  

When I first started doing my 90 day report there almost 2 years ago now I would always go in a business suit because I wanted to make a good impression.  I definitely want to maintain good relations with immigration.  I eventually started dressing somewhat causally wearing leather shorts with a belt and sandals so I don't over do the causal.  I started dressing causally because I see everyone else down there dresses causally.  I've seen some people there including the other day when I was down there wearing tank tops, basketball shorts, and flip flops and the immigration officers didn't seem to care.  So I I've never noticed this it's never been an issue whenever I go down there every 3 months.  

Are you sure this was in Korat?  Honestly I was just there the other day and I I didn't notice anything like this.  Maybe it's just because I don't dress overly causal. I dress causal but conservative so I don't know maybe that's why they leave me alone because I don't over do it. You should always dress at least somewhat conservatively when you're in a foreign country just to prevent drawing attention to yourself.  Me personally I dress plainly and never wear any t-shirts that advertise anything or with any logals just collard shirts and these days shorts and sandals.  In fact I dress like that in the states and pretty much anywhere just to prevent from sticking out.  

I also go to the Korat immigration office for my 90 Day Report and dress pretty much as you do and have never been hassled. I suspect that perhaps we did not see the sign because we came in the back door from the parking lot and not the front door.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You can dress causal just don't show up looking like you're on the beach.  I actually used to go down there wearing a tie, sometimes I still do dress up when I go down there but not so much these days.  Just don't walk in there looking like a bumb and you should be okay.  I see people there in beach clothes all the time including a few days ago when I was there to report but I've never seen anyone asked to leave because of it.  I do remember thinking jeez put some clothes on you're in a government building.  Of course it's not like I'm there every day so I don't know I only have to go once every 90 days for a very short time.  

What about this really daft fashion trend of young ladies wearing ripped jeans with holes in the knees and other places.

It looks like they got them out of a rubbish bin !

I suppose the immigration officers would ignore them, depending on how trashy/dishy the women looks ?

Dedicated followers of fashion - I will never understand them ! 

Airlines need to start this policy also.  Nothing worse then sitting next to some smelly beach bum who forgot to add in laundry time before heading to the airport wearing a 3 day old singlet and and flip flops with toe nails scraping the floor.  Repulsive animals.

• Like 2

I spent a year up there on back to back tourist visas. And on of the things that allowed me to do that, was 

that whenever it was time to visit immigration for a extension of my double 60 day tourist visa for another 30 days, I dressed up in proper 

clothes and shoes, including a white shirt and tie, and behaved extremely polite no matter what happened. My wife also helped, and as a result 

I was twice able to secure a 60 day extension instead of a 30 day. Neither of us asked for it, it was given out of courtesy by the immigration officer,

who commended us for our politenes,..

One does not always have to give the finger to the man...

• Like 2

The irony here is that in Phuket many of the Immi officers wear official golf shirts with tracksuit pants and thongs (flip flops) (underneath the desks).

So that blows the respect theory to smithereens.

They have taken down their dress code signs.

I do think that its best to dress reasonably well, rule or no rule.  But I don't know if the sign means much. I've seen that sign and looked around and saw many people who were dressed in a manner that was prohibited and I see them every time I go to immigration.

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Those people who go to government offices improperly dressed.

IE flip flops, shorts, vest tops, should think would i do that in a government office back home.

Er, yeah, if it's hot, why not?

The UK is not SE Asia. If i want to nip into the PO or the local council offices wearing flip flops and shorts on a hot day, i doubt anyone would bat an eyelid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gimbo said:

I spent a year up there on back to back tourist visas. And on of the things that allowed me to do that, was 

that whenever it was time to visit immigration for a extension of my double 60 day tourist visa for another 30 days, I dressed up in proper 

clothes and shoes, including a white shirt and tie, and behaved extremely polite no matter what happened. My wife also helped, and as a result 

I was twice able to secure a 60 day extension instead of a 30 day. Neither of us asked for it, it was given out of courtesy by the immigration officer,

Could'nt do that. I've lived here now 13 years and a bit, i just could'nt do it.

Nothing pi$$es me off more in Thailand than a self serving, autocratic, immigration officer with the power of a veto. I've met a few, though i do try and avoid them.

Hence having a marriage visa and all the loopholes one must jump thru would be a nightmare and an absolute LAST RESORT...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John F Gill said:

I wear shorts and sandals there all the time but I look respectful I'm causally dressed but respectfully dressed.  Sometimes I'll dress up as long as I'm not running late I like to arrive there early before it gets to crowded.  I actually think the service at Korat Immigration is absolutely outstanding.  When I go to report I'm always done in like 10 minutes quick in and out because I have all my documents organized and ready for them.  Of course in any government building you obviously shouldn't go in there looking like a bumb that's just disrespectful and looks bad on us as foreigners here.  

Absolutely true. The Dankiwan Immigration team are super efficient, very friendly and always well turned out. Surely to God we can reciprocate... 

of course, as I mentioned earlier, if you say this on TVF there is a notable dissenter who will try and claim you live in a land full of fairies and unicorns. Well if that is the case, I prefer it there because life is so much better......

So they make their own rules based on how the customer is dressed?

Color me less than impressed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thai006 said:

WHy it s only in thailand falang look  so bad really , go singapore , south korea , japan , not same falang come there really , good looking, respect culture ,  but in thailand   it s seem we got  all the bad people  from earth 

Sadly my friend, standards both personal and public in the west are on a very steep downward slope. When I was a kid you would not dream of answering back an adult let alone swear at them. You would never see females staggering around the streets with no dignity showing all they have on offer to anyone who looks, being sick through drink screaming like menatally challenged inmates and using language that would make a sailor blush.

Today that is the norm

so from this selection of our best offerings some manage by some miracle to save up a few pounds and fly to Thailand that they think is a paradise for them. But do not dispair, they also go to Magalouf, the Iberian isles Tenerife and Spain and make complete idiots of themselves there too. 

I am not an apologist for them nor do I in anyway condone such abhorrent behaviour. I find it utterly sickening also. 

My simple but probably totally wrong wrong opinion on why this type of creature has been allowed to develop is because they have been brought up ( sorry could not think of a better adjective) believing that they do not have to take responsibility for their actions and that the nanny state in which they were created will take care of them anyway 

the one good thing though is that Donald Trump has thus far escaped the blame for these idiots but hey someone will try to fabricate a link.... 

4 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

I also go to the Korat immigration office for my 90 Day Report and dress pretty much as you do and have never been hassled. I suspect that perhaps we did not see the sign because we came in the back door from the parking lot and not the front door.

As they say, horses for courses. I never go in the back door!