Extended Warranty Insurance

Caspersfriend

I am in the market for a new TV, as my last purchase gradually gave up.

The initial problem was just two months after the [miserly] one-year warranty period expired; top brand not a bargain basement purchase.

Initial searches suggest that the only brand that give the same warranty as my home country [three years] is Panasonic. Unfortunately their offerings don't meet my needs. And so ....

I have looked at all the major competitors here and one-year warranty is apparently all you get. The why [?] I am not interested in --- the 'how do I extend that?' is what I want and where every seller I have spoken says "No have".

Surely there must [?] be an insurance company here that will extend this one-year warranty to the very same warranty [usually three years] that the exact same TV gets in the US/UK/EU >>>>>>>

I purchased a large Samsung TV at PowerBuy about 4 months ago. Came with 1-year warranty and I really wanted longer because had two of those 1-year + 1-month and then die TVs (one was the P_something you fancied). PowerBuy offered an 2-year extension (thus 1+2 years warranty) for extra cost, which seemed expensive but far less than out-of-warranty fix. 

Many if not most credit cards offer extended warranty if one purchases it with the card.

If the item comes with a 1 yr. warranty, the credit card company gives a 2nd year of warranty for no charge.

This is offered on many cards which have no annual fee.

PS - I've never checked the terms to see if they apply if the purchase is in a different country.

Edited by JimmyJ

Thanks for the responses.

Credit card is not a viable option due to currency exchange disadvantages. PowerBuy is also not competitive for my preferred buy.  

I suggest part of the reason, why additional warranty cover is so expensive, is the way in which most 'electronic et al' products are produced these days. My previous TV was from a big-name TV brand. I was unaware at the time of how much outsourcing goes on to enable TV manufacturers to offer so many different models in so many different screen sizes. I bought the previous `TV not realising that a most significant part [the display panel] could have come from several different manufacturers. In this 'display panel lottery', as it has come to be known, the TV you see in the store is not necessarily going to be identical to the one that is delivered and set-up in your home. Retailers naturally want to sell TV's, and therefore have source material that will show off the product at its best in their store. However, this 'display panel lottery' could result in us getting a TV delivered that could not even show that 'enhanced' material in the same way.

Not just electronics either .......... 

23 hours ago, Caspersfriend said:

Thanks for the responses.

Credit card is not a viable option due to currency exchange disadvantages.

With many credit cards, if one pays in the native currency it will be exchanged by the cc company at the bank rate, per several posters in a few threads.

Several credit cards have no foreign transaction fee (3% seems the norm otherwise), including all Capital One cards and they have  one or some  No Annual Fee cards.

(If interested, check the terms of the NAFee cards to make sure they offer Extended Warranty - it's pretty commonly offered).

Chase Sapphire Reserve (which has an annual fee) also has price protection and will meet a lower price during the (I think) 1st 90 days after purchase.

Some other cards must offer that - don't no if any NAFee cards do.

Edited by JimmyJ

• 1 year later...