Phuket police set to formally charge Aussie jet-ski driver

snoop1130

agree 100% with F4UCorsair. For whatever reason, the fact remains a person is dead because of an accident the boyfriend was invloved in.

Whether negligence, stupidity, or what, the pice would be remiss in their duty if they didn't investigate.

So that means this guy has to hang about in Phuket until such the investigation is concluded.

Remember, this guy isn't the victim ... the poor girl was.

4 hours ago, roo860 said:

Will be interesting to see where the 'witnesses' come from.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

That's what I was thinking. Who witnessed this accident? The rule of law should be upheld in every situation. If the Aussie did act recklessly and cause a death, he should be charged. HOWEVER, how many times have we read stories of Thais acting recklessly and getting off with a slap on the wrist? Makes me think there is extortion going on here. The cops found an easy mark and want to collect. 

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

How about the Jet Ski rental company?

Were they insured?

Did they give adequate instruction on safety and driving?

Were their staff properly trained in First aid and emergencies?

Probably not on all fronts.

Here you have two young people, who generally believe themselves bulletproof at that age, having a wonderful time and getting carried away.

In the same way that a learner car driver doesn't understand the handling and turning cycles of their vehicle, nor will a novice jet Ski rider.

Yet anyone, even kids can rent one and howl off on full throttle. Unlike many countries, you don't need a licence here.

The Jet Ski industry and its profit before safety, is the real villain.

In Oz or most other countries the regulations would have ensured safety of the couple and basic training in operation of craft with specific warnings about speed/direction and what NOT to do's Unfortunatly is not the case here. If any case should be heard it is the failings of how a country allows operators to put customers at risk every day, and not just Jet Skis...

RIP to the young women and I hope the young bloke is home asap and allowed to grieve for his lost loved one.

UPDATE:

Phuket jet-ski accident: Australian Thomas Keating faces month-long wait in Thailand

Lindsay Murdoch

Emily Woods

PHUKET: -- Australian man Thomas Keating has been formally charged with reckless driving causing death, after his partner was killed in a tragic jet-ski crash on the Thai resort island of Phuket.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/968067-phuket-jet-ski-accident-australian-thomas-keating-faces-month-long-wait-in-thailand/

8 hours ago, madmitch said:

The police should drop this now, though the damage has already been done.

I'd personally like the family to pay the police to drop the case and get Tom out and back home, then tell the Australian press the full story of exactly how they secured his release. 

And get it all on film...!

Funny how the son of a very wealthy magnate here had no problems leaving the country

after killing a cop with his luxury car

Mr Prime Minister, you have some cleaning up to do  of your Police force very quickly or

get rid of them all  &  start afresh

Just goes to show that you should exercise yours rights to silence. Say nothing.
Everyone seems to pointing out he said he couldn't see because of the sun glare. Mistake right there.
Say what you have to say in court.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Funny how the son of a very wealthy magnate here had no problems leaving the country

after killing a cop with his luxury car

Mr Prime Minister, you have some cleaning up to do  of your Police force very quickly or

get rid of them all  &  start afresh

Wow- 38 posts before that old chestnut was regurgitated. Come on- keep up in future!

How about the Jet Ski rental company?
Were they insured?
Did they give adequate instruction on safety and driving?
Were their staff properly trained in First aid and emergencies?
Probably not on all fronts.
Here you have two young people, who generally believe themselves bulletproof at that age, having a wonderful time and getting carried away.
In the same way that a learner car driver doesn't understand the handling and turning cycles of their vehicle, nor will a novice jet Ski rider.
Yet anyone, even kids can rent one and howl off on full throttle. Unlike many countries, you don't need a licence here.
The Jet Ski industry and its profit before safety, is the real villain.

Well yeah, if you are the lowest common denominator and require the state or businesses to tell you what is dangerous and what is not. Most ten year olds understand that any motor vehicle is dangerous. Many tourists check their brains at the border and figure it's Thailand, it's open season to do everything and anything I cannot do at home because of the nanny state mentality. It is an individuals responsibility to take care of themselves, not the business owner or the state, especially in a developing country. If a person is too dim to figure that out by twenty, god help them with the rest of their lives!

4 hours ago, mikebike said:

Well yeah, if you are the lowest common denominator and require the state or businesses to tell you what is dangerous and what is not. Most ten year olds understand that any motor vehicle is dangerous. Many tourists check their brains at the border and figure it's Thailand, it's open season to do everything and anything I cannot do at home because of the nanny state mentality. It is an individuals responsibility to take care of themselves, not the business owner or the state, especially in a developing country. If a person is too dim to figure that out by twenty, god help them with the rest of their lives!

Exactly right mikebike, totally irrefutable post.

Well, irrefutable i guess, unless one is as you describe in your post.ie too dim to figure things out.

A couple of posters do fit that description, but i don't need to ID them, they are obvious by their posts.

Geez guys,

yes people should apply common sense but operators/companies have a duty of care to customers, their own staff and the public - this is lacking unfortunatly in LOS along with even very basic safety in most instances in favour of a quick buck - a young couple enjoying their holiday are not gonna get into a full risk assessment on a 15 min ride of a Jet ski/s. Unfortunately not the first and will not be the last death on these unregulated activities in LOS

Like obviously everyone knows that you have no steering on a Jet Ski if not under power..., Yeah everyone will know that right guys?

The charges are smoke and mirrors so the real sham of unregulated operators is again swept under the carpet (or sand) - Money No1

1 hour ago, 01322521959 said:

What a pathetic uncaring society this country is. It was an accident. How about making the jetski operators have accident insurance? On no because no bugger would enforce that!!

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Maybe the boyfriend had a sizable life  insurance policy on the girlfriend with him as the benefactor,

1 hour ago, 01322521959 said:

What a pathetic uncaring society this country is. It was an accident. How about making the jetski operators have accident insurance? On no because no bugger would enforce that!!

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

The operator was insured.

Are you saying there should not be an investigation after an accident where somebody died?