Thai editorial: Wrong response to an honest question

webfact

Wrong response to an honest question
By The Nation

With crime and corruption unchecked, why are our police chiefs insulted when asked what’s going on?

BANGKOK: -- The topic of a recent panel discussion among academics – “What do we have the Thai police for?” – was bound to raise the ire of senior police officers. Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda, the national chief, publicly criticised the organisers, who’d worked in coordination with the Anti-Corruption Organisation of Thailand. There was a threat of legal action against anyone involved who might be found to have besmirched the reputation of the police force.

The police reaction prompts two questions. Do the police really think the force’s reputation is one of such high esteem that’s it can be defended in court? And do they not realise that citizens at every social level have for generations been asking, “What is the police force for?” Among those who’ve wondered aloud about this are retired senior police officers and other ex-cops who grew so disillusioned that they quit to pursue alternative careers. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/today_editorial/30305947

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-09

39 minutes ago, Eligius said:

One could also pose an honest question: 'What is the Thai military for?'

Oh, of course: for staging coups and waving goodbye to that dreadful thing called democracy!

Ouch!

sometimes the truth hurts............ 

:thumbsup:

The police response totally sums up what is wrong with the police in Thailand. It also shows that they are so set in their ways that they are completely out of touch with the public - who they are meant to serve and protect - and the public's concerns.

that they repeatedly make themselves look unprofessional both nationally and internationally doesn't seem to sink in, and they still continue to mishandle cases and pose for photos of groups of them poi ting at stuff......when will they get it? however professional they profess to be the images and stories just point to the contrary....and this episode does nothing but confirm the perception.

If you asked a copper what policing was he wouldn't have a clue or say it's for making money for big boss.they are pathetic and bent as a 99baht note.its a shame really because some must start out their careers with good intentions but we know that if you put a good Apple in a barrel of bad ones what happens..I live in a large village and one day said to the wife..if I was a policeman here I would be known as the bar steward copper as I would nick everyone,confiscate dozens of scooters until the offences were sorted out,road dangers removed,in other words the judge dread of the village.her reply was oh your family would be shot and your house burned down.ok then my love I'll just take the bribes,be quiet and get my head down in the air con office.

And anyone that thinks the military are not full of corrupt people are deluded...!

This threatening by police and military against people for coming out and publicly criticizing them for their corrupt behavior is absurd and needs to be put a stop to it, it is a scare tactic nothing more than shut up or we will take you too court...!

There is a bloke out there promising reform, ,,  STILL WAITING.....

16 minutes ago, Alan Deer said:

The police response totally sums up what is wrong with the police in Thailand. It also shows that they are so set in their ways that they are completely out of touch with the public - who they are meant to serve and protect - and the public's concerns.

that they repeatedly make themselves look unprofessional both nationally and internationally doesn't seem to sink in, and they still continue to mishandle cases and pose for photos of groups of them poi ting at stuff......when will they get it? however professional they profess to be the images and stories just point to the contrary....and this episode does nothing but confirm the perception.

The top cop having public hissy fit followed by a threat of legal action is simply a monkey see monkey do as that is how the junta leader behaves on a very regular basis,,  If it's ok for the junta leader to behave this way then it must be ok for the top BIB do behave in the same way...

Put very simply, the police force is a broken institution. It simply does not function in any useful way. Pay should be raised, corruption rooted out and accountability demanded. The case of the teacher is outrageous, as outrageous as the case of the Burmese on Koh Tao, etc etc.

8 minutes ago, retarius said:

Put very simply, the police force is a broken institution. It simply does not function in any useful way. Pay should be raised, corruption rooted out and accountability demanded. The case of the teacher is outrageous, as outrageous as the case of the Burmese on Koh Tao, etc etc.

" Pay should be raised" - I think it would be better if the entire dept was raised?

12 minutes ago, retarius said:

I always say that there is no police force in Thailand - only criminals dressed up in police uniforms!

41 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

The top cop having public hissy fit followed by a threat of legal action is simply a monkey see monkey do as that is how the junta leader behaves on a very regular basis,,  If it's ok for the junta leader to behave this way then it must be ok for the top BIB do behave in the same way...

This appears to be the new style of "leadership" afflicting a number of countries. And, unfortunately, it seems to be highly contagious. 

1 hour ago, Khun Paul said:

Pay peanuts you get monkeys, nuff said.

Did you ever take back handers? Yes I know who you are but you don't know who I am because you was a copper and I'm a undercover detective.i may even give you a tap on the shoulder next time I see you around udon...one other thing is,does it not drive you mad how the police operate here and you being a honest Brit Bobby? You might not believe this but last month I tried to bribe one copper for 300b instead of a 500b fine with ticket and he wouldn't have it.then in the same week while paying a double 200b fine for 2 parking offences he handed me back one 200b fine.i was totally disgusted with them both and thought I should report them both to the rip.rotten Thai police

3 hours ago, chainarong said:

There is no fear of besmirching the reputation of the RTP, they do a good job of that themselves, piss poor pay produces piss poor results..........................:cheesy:

yes we all know that - Thais all know that - it seems that the RTA are the only ones that don't and nobody is allowed to tell them what they don't know lol

As mentioned above it is time the RTA were "TOLD" in no uncertain terms that they are accountable to the public and will be held to account for their actions and scrutinised by the public in a very public way - if they don't like it or are unwilling to change - then resign and good riddance

I am wondering how Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda can suggest that the RTP have a reputation that is not already besmirched beyond salvation.

Corruption, bribe taking, fabricating cases and evidence, extra-judicial killings, siding with people of influence in cases.........

The list of sins is way too long to write fully and everyone knows it.

It's very difficult to defend the undefendable, even in a Thai court.

Sadly, there are none so blind as those that will not see.

Doesn't look promising for improvements, if this is the reaction of those who should be upholding transparency and legitimacy.

I also wonder how an Ostrich became a Police General.

Edited by darksidedog

12 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I am wondering how Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda can suggest that the RTP have a reputation that is not already besmirched beyond salvation.

Corruption, bribe taking, fabricating cases and evidence, extra-judicial killings, siding with people of influence in cases.........

The list of sins is way too long to write fully and everyone knows it.

It's very difficult to defend the undefendable, even in a Thai court.

Sadly, there are none so blind as those that will not see.

Doesn't look promising for improvements, if this is the reaction of those who should be upholding transparency and legitimacy.

I also wonder how an Ostrich became a Police General.

Thailand is the very hub (yes, truly a hub!) of being an ostrich. The great leaders and opinion promulgators of this nation have never yet seen a heap of sand that they aren't happy to bury their heads in when confronted by the unpalatable truths of what Thailand is today  - and in many regards has been for a long time.

In fact, refusal to see and acknowledge the realities of this society is so entrenched and all-pervasive that it is nothing less than a form of mental illness - cognitive dissonance: substituting a fake, fantasy percept for the reality that is staring them in the face.

2 hours ago, The man from udon said:

Did you ever take back handers? Yes I know who you are but you don't know who I am because you was a copper and I'm a undercover detective.i may even give you a tap on the shoulder next time I see you around udon...one other thing is,does it not drive you mad how the police operate here and you being a honest Brit Bobby? You might not believe this but last month I tried to bribe one copper for 300b instead of a 500b fine with ticket and he wouldn't have it.then in the same week while paying a double 200b fine for 2 parking offences he handed me back one 200b fine.i was totally disgusted with them both and thought I should report them both to the rip.rotten Thai police

That first bit was a bit creepy MFU Guy. Wanna change any of it?

That first bit was a bit creepy MFU Guy. Wanna change any of it?

Don't worry, you'll be able to spot him - he will be the inconspicuous looking chap wandering around Udon in 30C in a trench coat and trilby...

4 minutes ago, JAG said:

Don't worry, you'll be able to spot him - he will be the inconspicuous looking chap wandering around Udon in 30C in a trench coat and trilby...

As I said, creepy especially if he happens to be near a school.........

7 minutes ago, The man from udon said:

I thought about it and can't edit it now.someone pointed out khun paul to me a couple of years ago and I apologise to him.im sure he's a ok guy and will say that to him when and if I ever cross paths with him again.

I suspected as much, it was far tooooo Dark even for my tastes as TDL to be serious. 

Good banter though. 

I come to udon from from time to time fancy a catch up with K Paul for a cold wet one or two? 

Honest i I am not as my avatar suggests .............

the police in Thailand have nobody watching them, they are accountable to NO ONE. In the west police are scrutinized by an internal affairs system and other mechanisms with many "dirty" cops prosecuted. Without this police forces everywhere would become corrupt as in the case we see in Thailand. 

When interest groups speak up as the "academics" did in Bangkok they are threatened with draconian thai prosecution laws and the libel, slander, computer crime acts and other laws. 

6 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

I suspected as much, it was far tooooo Dark even for my tastes as TDL to be serious. 

Good banter though. 

I come to udon from from time to time fancy a catch up with K Paul for a cold wet one or two? 

Honest i I am not as my avatar suggests .............

I do actually write my quotes with a bit of fun or banter but there is always some one who's got out of the bed on the wrong side.anyway k.paul I hope I haven't offended you.

,While I read the responses  and was somewhat thankful that a retraction was made in a roundabout sort of way. I am not surprised at the initial remark, many people here are here for a myriad of reasons and being what I am has often brought me into contention on many issues.

Insulting the Police everywhere is now an acceptable game, however I must say although people may view the Thai police as generally corrupt  with little or no morals, I have since being here come across a few who are not cast in the same mould.

Unfortunately they still open their mouths without thinking and spout with gay abandon unadulterated rubbish , which although the l;ocal population seem to believe most of it, we cynical, questioning and thinking foreigners know they attempting to pull the wool over us. 

Cases which have an international audience , Koh Tao, lady wrongly imprisoned , Arrest of Bridge players,  to name a few show them up as generally incompetent . It came  as NO surprise to find out they still have over 300 bodies unclaimed following the Tsunami, why probably because they kicked out a highly trained and experience SOCO  ( Forensic Evidence ) team from Germany as they had no work permits.

The adage you can take a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink, is real here, they may very well know they are no good , but their attitude / culture and face saving comes before justice and a thorough investigation. That is the sad thing for the Thai population.

Edited by Khun Paul
Spelling and a minor addition.

56 minutes ago, The man from udon said:

I do actually write my quotes with a bit of fun or banter but there is always some one who's got out of the bed on the wrong side.anyway k.paul I hope I haven't offended you.

Not at all I like a large Bacardi and Coke when NOT driving of course.