Scottish government set to demand legal right to new independence referendum - newspaper

webfact

Scottish government set to demand legal right to new independence referendum - newspaper

REUTERS

r3.jpg

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon arrives to deliver a statement onBrexit during a session of Scotland's Parliament at Holyrood in Edinburgh, December 20, 2016. REUTERS/Russell Cheyne

(Reuters) - Scottish government workers have been told to ready themselves for a second independence referendum in a notice that said First Minister Nicola Sturgeon was set to demand the legal right to another constitutional vote, The Courier newspaper in Dundee, Scotland, reported on Wednesday.

The Scottish government was not immediately available for comment. (http://bit.ly/2lsfo8l)

Support for Scottish independence has risen since British Prime Minister Theresa May came out last month in favour of Britain making a clean break with the European Union when it leaves the bloc, an opinion poll showed on Wednesday.

A majority of those asked in the BMG survey, 51 percent, still opposed independence, the survey showed, but that number fell by 3-1/2 points, while the number supporting secession rose by the same amount, to 49 percent.

In 2014, Scots voted 55 percent to 45 percent to remain in the United Kingdom. But last year's UK-wide vote to leave the EU changed the landscape because a majority of Scots backed staying in the bloc.

A Courier report on Tuesday said May was secretly working on a strategy to deal with Sturgeon's demand for a second independence referendum.

(Reporting by Rama Venkat Raman in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-09

16 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

An economic concession to buy Scotland's allegiance to the UK?

Normally that probably would be what they're after. But, in this case, Sturgeon is so fixated on her one goal - an independent Scotland with herself has the first leader and in the history books forever, that she'll pursue that regardless of any consequences.

I saw several articles that suggested more devolved powers was the objective this time. If so, that indicates she's still not confident of winning. But whatever happens, whatever extra they get if anything, rest assured she'll never ever show allegiance to the UK.

The Courier is a very strong pro independence newspaper, with a circulation in a pro independence area. 

You can expect to read about surges of support,  and what a fantastic job the SNP are doing and how demanding this and that will show those nasty British, or is it English, what's what.

Just as if you read the Guardian, the Mail or BBC News, you know what to expect.

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The Courier is a very strong pro independence newspaper, with a circulation in a pro independence area. 

You can expect to read about surges of support,  and what a fantastic job the SNP are doing and how demanding this and that will show those nasty British, or is it English, what's what.

Just as if you read the Guardian, the Mail or BBC News, you know what to expect.

Where do you read in any Scottish newspaper comments about nasty British or English people? I cannot recall ever reading such remarks by any Scottish newspaper however I would be very happy for you to enlighten me on this.

Are you sure that you are not getting confused with 'newspapers' such as the Daily Mail, Express or Telegraph, where there are regular anti-Scottish diatribes, almost always followed up by relentless waves of anti-Scottish comments?

27 minutes ago, smedly said:

Does the UK need Scotland ?

I like the Scots but this constant whinging from the Fish like people is getting old now, how about a referendum in England to expel them from the UK

Chuck them out i say and tell them to fund themselves with their smaller share of North Sea Oil revenue than they think they should get.  It's not Scottish Oil; it's British Oil.    Lets see how long it is before they come crawling back billions more in debt to the IMF and whoever else is daft enough to fund them.

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Chuck them out i say and tell them to fund themselves with their smaller share of North Sea Oil revenue than they think they should get.  It's not Scottish Oil; it's British Oil.    Lets see how long it is before they come crawling back billions more in debt to the IMF and whoever else is daft enough to fund them.

That's the same attitude Junkers, Tusk, et al have about Brexit  ;)