U.S. high court nominee calls Trump's attacks on judiciary 'demoralizing' - spokesman

webfact

U.S. high court nominee calls Trump's attacks on judiciary 'demoralizing' - spokesman

REUTERS

r9.jpg

U.S. Supreme Court nominee Judge Neil Gorsuch smiles during his meeting with Senator Claire McCaskill on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., February 8, 2017. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Donald Trump's nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court, Neil Gorsuch, on Wednesday described the president's Twitter attacks on the judiciary as "demoralizing" and "disheartening," a spokesman for Gorsuch said.

Spokesman Ron Bonjean, a Republican strategist hired by the White House to help guide Gorsuch's nomination through the U.S. Senate, confirmed that Gorsuch used those words when he met Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal.

Trump, who took office on Jan. 20, took to Twitter over the weekend to condemn the Friday night order by Judge James Robart that placed on hold the president's Jan. 27 temporary travel ban on people from seven countries and all refugees.

The administration appealed that ruling to a three-judge federal appeals panel, which is due to decide the issue this week.

Trump called Robart a "so-called judge" whose "ridiculous" opinion "essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country."

U.S. presidents are usually hesitant to weigh in on judicial matters out of respect for a U.S. Constitution clause ensuring a separation of powers between the executive branch, Congress and the judiciary.

Trump nominated Gorsuch on Jan. 31 to succeed Justice Antonin Scalia on the nine-member court. Scalia died a year ago this month. Blumenthal is a member of the Judiciary Committee that will hold a confirmation hearing on Gorsuch's nomination.

“As the nominee of a President who has viciously attacked the independence of the judiciary and declared multiple litmus tests for justices, Judge Gorsuch has a special responsibility to reassure the American people that he will be an open-minded and independent jurist," Blumenthal said in a statement.

"If he wants the American people to believe that he is truly independent, Judge Gorsuch must tell them in no uncertain terms that President Trump’s attacks are not just disappointing – they are abhorrent and destructive to our Constitutional system – and he must condemn them publicly,” Blumenthal's statement said.

(Reporting by Lawrence Hurley and Richard Cowan; Editing by Julia Edwards Ainsley and Howard Goller)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-09

Pleasantly surprised that unlike Sessions who traded his ethics for Trump's cabinet, Gorsuch seems less gratuitous.

PS: Gorsuch's appointment will be too late for this year's USSC case schedule, including the potential government appeal on Trump' 7-Muslim nation immigration ban.

"U.S. presidents are usually hesitant to weigh in on judicial matters out of respect for a U.S. Constitution clause ensuring a separation of powers between the executive branch, Congress and the judiciary. "

I would say you got it backwards since it was the Judiciary that acted to countermand an Executive Order. and on what legal basis?

What's trump trying to achieve? Yet another attack on a judicial officer...

speaking of a Texas state legislator who favors reform, Trump said, “We’ll destroy his career.” Just another day on America’s steep ascending path back to greatness.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-sides-with-the-sheriffs-on-their-racket/2017/02/08/964e41c0-ee4c-11e6-9973-c5efb7ccfb0d_story.html?utm_term=.c15ae64b17c1&wpisrc=nl_opinions&wpmm=1

4 hours ago, kaleevala said:

"U.S. presidents are usually hesitant to weigh in on judicial matters out of respect for a U.S. Constitution clause ensuring a separation of powers between the executive branch, Congress and the judiciary. "

I would say you got it backwards since it was the Judiciary that acted to countermand an Executive Order. and on what legal basis?

Wow! The judiciary dared to pass judgement on an Executive Order. Next thing you know, they'll be passing judgements on laws.

And what the judges didn't do was pass judgement on Trump.  He made it personal.

I like that he tells it like it is. Trump is not a Politician and used to getting his own way. If he doesn't then be blames and tries to demean anyone who stood in his way.  I still think he is the better choice but he has a lot to learn.  Donald Trump is about to grow up in public and it will be very hard for him.

14 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

I like that he tells it like it is. Trump is not a Politician and used to getting his own way. If he doesn't then be blames and tries to demean anyone who stood in his way.  I still think he is the better choice but he has a lot to learn.  Donald Trump is about to grow up in public and it will be very hard for him.

Mavericks are good news but petulant children are a nightmare.  Depends on which camp you think Trump falls into.

6 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

It is NEWS, news and the MSM is reporting it. Also reporting that Blumenthal lied about serving in combat. Not very credible.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-neil-gorsuch-richard-blumenthal-feud-234833

Well, you get the Doublethink Award of the Year.  In fact, you may have retired the crown. I cannot belief that a defender of donald trump is so obtuse as to criticize someone else for his dishonesty.  Nobody, but nobody, in the politcal world lies as often as does Trump. Whether it's about himself, others or issues, he is in a league of his own. Yet somehow, in your mind, he is credible? And Blumenthal is not?

2 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

What a joke. I defend Trump from spurious attacks, so I am not allowed to bring up the fact that his attacker is a notorious liar and that he seems to be doing it again. LOL!

You're sure you've got the facts correct regards "spurious attacks"? From the OP...

Spokesman Ron Bonjean, a Republican strategist hired by the White House to help guide Gorsuch's nomination through the U.S. Senate, confirmed that Gorsuch used those words when he met Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal.

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

You're sure you've got the facts correct regards "spurious attacks"? From the OP...

You obviously did not read the Politico article. Gorsuch made it glaringly obvious that he was talking in generalities, not about Trump. He said that judicial ethics kept him from comenting on specific cases or political matters.

44 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

You obviously did not read the Politico article. Gorsuch made it glaringly obvious that he was talking in generalities, not about Trump. He said that judicial ethics kept him from comenting on specific cases or political matters.

Just read the article, comes across to me that you, Trump and that truly awful person, Conway, are all using spin.

As a non US citizen, from observing Trump's public statements and attitude over the past few weeks, he has cemented my prior thoughts that he is currently unfit to be President of the USA IMO Trump really needs to transform his Presidency by getting out of the political mire he wallows in.

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

he was talking in generalities, not about Trump

Seems very directly related to Trump:

"Donald Trump's nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court, Neil Gorsuch, on Wednesday described the president's Twitter attacks on the judiciary as "demoralizing" and "disheartening," a spokesman for Gorsuch said."

6 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

What a joke. I defend Trump from spurious attacks, so I am not allowed to bring up the fact that his attacker is a notorious liar and that he seems to be doing it again. LOL!

This is plain nuts. Richard Blumenthal lied once about his military service. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say Trump lies at least once a day and yet you continually give him the benefit of the doubt. And by the way, Senators Ben Sasse, a Republican, and former Senator Kelly Ayotte, another Republican who is assisting Gorsuch, both back up Blumenthal's version.

10 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

It is NEWS, news and the MSM is reporting it. Also reporting that Blumenthal lied about serving in combat. Not very credible.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-neil-gorsuch-richard-blumenthal-feud-234833

Stand up guy.  Goes public and admits he misspoke.  Has Trump ever admitted he lied?  Answer: never.  From your article.

The “major lie” to which the president referred dates back to Blumenthal’s 2010 Senate campaign, when he was forced to hold a news conference to explain that while he had said multiple times that he served “in” the Vietnam War, he had meant to say he served “during” the Vietnam War. Blumenthal was in the Marine Corps Reserves for six years during the war, but did not serve overseas.

"On a few occasions I have misspoken about my service, and I regret that and I take full responsibility," Blumenthal said at the 2010 news conference, according to a Washington Post report. "But I will not allow anyone to take a few misplaced words and impugn my record of service to our country."

5 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Here's a quote from Senator Ben Sasse in that article that you clearly need to reread

I asked him about the 'so-called judges' comment, because we don't have so-called judges or so-called presidents or so-called senators. And this is a guy who kind of welled up with some energy and he said any attack on any — I think his term to me was 'brothers or sisters of the robe' — is an attack on all judges," Sasse said. "What I saw in that guy is he got some energy about it, was this isn't about somebody just who’s just been nominated to Supreme Court.

14 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Gorsuch needs to pay lip service to the democrats at the moment until the ink is dry.  Hopefully it is more than that and it certainly got Trump jumping up and down over it!

You think they never had a cozy little strategic 'chat' before his name was put forward?

You must be not thinking clearly if you thought the POTUS jumped up and down

5 minutes ago, uptheos said:

You think they never had a cozy little strategic 'chat' before his name was put forward?

You must be not thinking clearly if you thought the POTUS jumped up and down

I'm sure you have the evidence to back up your contention about a "cozy little strategic 'chat'" taking place.

Looking forward to seeing it. Especially because that's the kind of thing that would show Gorsuch is unsuitable to be a supreme court justice. He would have to be really stupid to have done that, too. Clearly you have no respect for the man.

Edited by ilostmypassword

Just now, ilostmypassword said:

I'm sure you have the evidence to back up your contention about a "cozy little strategic 'chat'" taking place.

Looking forward to seeing it. 

Why wouldn't they have a cozy little strategic chat, the POTUS likes him and they knew it was going to take time and work to get him elected, so they NEEDED a chat. I'm not sure where you're coming from?

Gorsuch stated that his statement was taken out of context. He was referring to his general philosophy about the judiciary. Trump "absolutely" stands by his pick and so do I and  the sooner he can b confirmed the better. Senate needs to use nuclear option and speed up the confirmation before suspension appeal.

13 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

If you're so worried about lying then maybe Gorsuch should be a concern for you. At Columbia, he wrote an article that alleged that a student whose politics he didn't like had trashed a store.  It was a complete and utter lie and Gorsuch was forced to retract it.