Vietnam: Thai visa requirements for Non-O-A retirement

Has anyone ever gotten such a visa from Vietnam. (Either Hanoi or Saigon.)

My wife's work prevents me from doing a non-o extension here in Thailand. It is a bit complicated with the paper work too. I did not bring the money needed on time. I wanted to travel to Vietnam anyway to spare my wife lungs and mine, anyway, here in Chiang Mai. So, I am looking into getting the retirement visa in Vietnam. http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/54613-Non-Immigrant-Visa--“O-A”-(Long-Stay).html,

• Criminal record

3 copies of letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

Obviously, I passed the criminal record check when I got my original non-o. Would they accept a criminal record check from Thailand? A notary organ from Thailand will do then, if it is needed at all (police crim. check surely does not need to be notarized)?

• Medical certificate

- 3 copies of medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tubercolosis, Drug Addiction, Elephantiasis and Third Step of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission)

Additionally, the med. cert. can be done in Vietnam, if I am reading the rules correctly. No? 

• Financials

There is no expectation/indication of seasoning any money for 2/3 months or having some consulate affidavit. I am not too sure what they mean by income "certificate"?

- 3 copies of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.

Finally, I do not need to have a non-o prior for this?

Thank you.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

You are aware the non immigrant O-A visa can only be issued in your home country or a country you officially reside?

Why would your wifes work have anything to do with a retirement extension of stay in Thailand?  Or do you mean you are never in Thailand for the required time (about 60 days) on a non immigrant O visa entry?

Are you sure you are not asking about a 90 day non immigrant O visa entry so you can extend after your money is in account here the required time?

First, note carefully the difference between a Non Imm O-A (Long Stay) visa, a multiple entry Non Imm O visa, and a single entry Non Imm O visa.

It is certain that you cannot get a Non Imm O-A visa as a casual visitor to Vietnam. The criminal record and health checks do not apply to Non Imm O visas, so the answer to your questions regarding them is moot.

What you likely want to do is get a singe entry Non Imm O visa in Vietnam, which I expect will be possible with only proof of finances in a bank anywhere. You can then apply for an extension of stay  on the basis of retirement back in Thailand.

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You are aware the non immigrant O-A visa can only be issued in your home country or a country you officially reside?

Why would your wifes work have anything to do with a retirement extension of stay in Thailand?  Or do you mean you are never in Thailand for the required time (about 60 days) on a non immigrant O visa entry?

Are you sure you are not asking about a 90 day non immigrant O visa entry so you can extend after your money is in account here the required time?

1) No, I have not read that anywhere, although I thought this meant that: 4808503766286336.png?k=PoyZjIPqKEtIMnAAhI guess "residence" does not mean residence in the sense they see it. I guess I reside nowhere. LOL

2) I am in Thailand now. I missed bringing the money (seasoned) in Thailand (I was counting of getting the marriage visa, which my pension income would have covered). March 7 is the final day on the non-o.

3) Yes, I heard about that one too. I thought I would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Silly me! LOL I guess I will have to go that way then. (http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/46902-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Accompanying-Th.html)

Thanks for the answer.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

1 minute ago, Mike45 said:

Perhaps it would be possible to get an extension in Thailand to get additional time for your money to season.??? The experts on here can certainly tell you if that is possible.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Thanks, Mike, for that thought. Joe has already helped me with that: the extension of 2 months. But, then I would have to be in LOS for 45 days I hear to apply for the retirement visa and I want to go to escape the smoke/heat in March/Mid April. I am bringing some money next week. The money was not an issue, but bringing on time was. I am a newbie at this. 

34 minutes ago, BritTim said:

What you likely want to do is get a singe entry Non Imm O visa in Vietnam, which I expect will be possible with only proof of finances in a bank anywhere. You can then apply for an extension of stay  on the basis of retirement back in Thailand.

Thanks, Tim.

The bank anywhere idea I like. 

Yes, it looks like that is my only option (unless I extend here in Thailand, but that is not my preference.) 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/46902-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Accompanying-Th.html

It does not look like there is much of a choice. I guess if I were single, I would need to go back to my home country to get an O-A. Is that right?

12 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

My wife's work prevents me from doing a non-o extension here in Thailand.

Why? Your wife is Thai. I cannot see how her job would prevent you from getting an extension of stay.

If want to apply for an extension after your return form Vietnam you could get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage and apply for an extension based upon marriage to a Thai or retirement.

11 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

It does not look like there is much of a choice. I guess if I were single, I would need to go back to my home country to get an O-A. Is that right?

Single or married makes no difference.

If you don't have permanent residency status in another Country, then yes, the O-A would only be available in your home Country.

Extensions do not necessarily require funds in the bank, you can use the income method.

For an extension based on marriage it is 400,000 in a Thai bank, or an income of 40,000 per month.

For an extension based on retirement it is 800,000 in a Thai bank, or an income of 65,000 per month, or a combination of the two.

Proof of income letters are obtained from your Embassy.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Why? Your wife is Thai. I cannot see how her job would prevent you from getting an extension of stay.

If want to apply for an extension after your return form Vietnam you could get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage and apply for an extension based upon marriage to a Thai or retirement.

Thanks, Joe. 

Initially, the plan (as we had talked about) was to get the extension of 1 year (based on marriage), but a number of events derailed that plan. My wife had a few hours this one day and there was a meeting with one of the ad-hoc agencies and a discussions in Thai took place, to which I am not privy to, that dissuaded her to go ahead with the 1 year extension (mar.). As I had shared with you before, they scared her with no-call home-visits and who knows what else, but they were truthful and did tell us about going abroad to get the 3 months 1 entry non-o visa. I thought that the mar. extension would have been okay and when the plan shifted to the retirement ext. option I did not have the money seasoned in the bank. (Actually, some freaky event delayed the pension process [which I thought I had initiated at the required and stated 6 months in advance). I just got the official letter just a few days ago, without which I could not even use the income option. I did not think things through well enough and I was hoping to get a more favorable exchange rate at a later time too, so I did not bring enough money. (The way to bring money from where I am makes Thailand look like a first world country.) Anyway, I really should have had a plan b to fall back onto. That was my fault. I usually do. Anyway, my wife is working 18 hours days right now, non-stop, and surely this is much too much for her to manage. That was not supposed to happen judging from past years. I guess the free visa to everybody has the tourist agencies cashing in. She has a tough time saying no to the boss for future repercussions and the money (one day might mean losing much more than that. 

Anyway, since I wanted to leave anyway to Vietnam, it is not a big deal and makes any short-term extensions superfluous. Sure, I will have to get a 3 months visa in Vietnam + an extension *retirement on that. It is going to be one more step. I feel, however, that the Vietnam imm. experience will be quite smooth. I would like to go in HCMC and ensure that I have all the documents they want and need. Then, towards the end of the one month stay (in another city in Vietnam), come back and get the visa. I am afraid that they could pull a fast one on me and ask for some document that is NOT listed on their list, as stated.

6028025370247168.png?k=KbBV8NSnFUS6frb59

On the other hand, I read that they are pretty straightforward.  Can you actually go there 1 month ahead of time, leave all the paper work and such and tell them I will pick it up in one month? I just would like to maximize the 3 month visa. My wife will be there. It does not look like she needs to be there. I think I will leave her out of it, as who knows what other can of worms that could open. If it works without her, then okay. If there are issues, then I could maybe bring her in. So, yes, a series of circumstances and a few bad decisions on my part derailed the process. Let's hope things go smoothly from here onward.

Thanks a lot for your great support and help, Joe.

1 hour ago, dentonian said:

Single or married makes no difference.

If you don't have permanent residency status in another Country, then yes, the O-A would only be available in your home Country.

Extensions do not necessarily require funds in the bank, you can use the income method.

For an extension based on marriage it is 400,000 in a Thai bank, or an income of 40,000 per month.

For an extension based on retirement it is 800,000 in a Thai bank, or an income of 65,000 per month, or a combination of the two.

Proof of income letters are obtained from your Embassy.

Thanks for the great comment.

I explained in a post to Joe the circumstances and my predicament.

Oh! The proof of income is that consulate affidavit. It seems to me that different offices and websites use different terminology, leaving a newbie like me unsure.

Thanks for your help. I hope this help someone else too.

A single entry non-o  visa will be valid for entry to the country for 3 months from the date of issue. It does not appear you plan on being in Vietnam that long. The 90 days you get from the visa will start on the date you enter the country.

You apply for the visa the morning of of one day and pick it up the next afternoon.

Their requirements to get a single entry non-o visa would not vary or would you be asked for more than what is shown on it. I think having your wife with you when you apply would help and cannot imagine why it would cause any problem.

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A single entry non-o  visa will be valid for entry to the country for 3 months from the date of issue. It does not appear you plan on being in Vietnam that long. The 90 days you get from the visa will start on the date you enter the country.

You apply for the visa the morning of of one day and pick it up the next afternoon.

Their requirements to get a single entry non-o visa would not vary or would you be asked for more than what is shown on it. I think having your wife with you when you apply would help and cannot imagine why it would cause any problem.

Wow! That's great info. 

Yes, in normal circumstance, having my wife with me should help, but there is jealousy to keep in mind, as irrational as it can be. You are right it is hard to know how much it is an issue, though, if it is an issue at all. I would rather remove that risk, that's all. If there are issues, she could be the ace card. Of course, if they are also jealous, then it could be a bad card. LOL

Thanks, Joe. Very much appreciated.

1 hour ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Thanks for the great comment.

I explained in a post to Joe the circumstances and my predicament.

Oh! The proof of income is that consulate affidavit. It seems to me that different offices and websites use different terminology, leaving a newbie like me unsure.

Thanks for your help. I hope this help someone else too.

The proof of income method is a letter from your Embassy to Immigration.

It states your income in your local currency.

Immigration calculate that income to THB using the current exchange rates.

Depending on your nationality the letter is obtained by either swearing an affidavit (USA) without actually showing any proof of funds, or in the case of the UK, the letter is issued only after proving funds via bank statements or confirmation of Pension Income letters