Bangkok public transport complaints: Taxis top list - refusing customers still champ!

rooster59

Bangkok public transport complaints: Taxis top list - refusing customers still champ!

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1A7xQ0Z6i48HAtvttwnQcQnjbRwQ3.jpg

Image: Thairath

The Bangkok land transport department has released figures for complaints made over the last four months.

And topping the list by a mile were the capital's taxis with refusing customers being the number one gripe in a total of nearly 13,000 complaints.

Some 18,366 complaints were made about all forms of public transport in Bangkok in the October to January period. A total of 15,264 of these complains were resolved meaning an 83% clear up rate.

The department asked members of the public to clearly state the license number, name of the driver and date and time of day of the offense when making complaints.

Complaints can be made on the 1584 number, email [email protected] or on the Line application using the ID: dlt1584.

Here are the full details of the complaints in Bangkok:

Taxis:
Total complaints: 12,900 Resolutions 11,699 (90%)
Top three reasons:
1. Refusing customers
2. Impolite drivers
3. Not using the meter

Motorcycle taxis:
Total complaints: 469 Resolutions 409 (87%)
Top three reasons:
1. Asking for extra money
2. Negligent/dangerous driving
3. Impoliteness

Tuk-Tuks:
Total complaints: 44 Resolutions 37 (84%)
Top three reasons:
1. Negligent driving
2. Impolite drivers
3. Asking for extra money

Buses:
Total complaints: 868 Resolutions 474 (54%)
Top three reasons:
1. Not stopping at bus stops to pick up passengers
2. Negligent driving
3. Impoliteness

Minivans:
Total complaints: 779 Resolutions 473 (60%)
Top three reasons:
1. Negligent driving
2. Impolite drivers
3. Overloading

In addition 770 complaints were made against air-con buses and 762 complaints against privately owned buses.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-12

I hate those SOB's who refuse to take you and then tell you a lie that they are off work now.  What a bunch of shit.  Hope they all die and go to hell.   I wanted a taxi to get on the expressway and drop me off.  No traffic just a 200 baht trip.  5 out of 6 refused.  Hope they all die and burn in hell the SOB.

I use two or three taxis every day and was beginning to think that the problem of refusing trips was over. For months it seemed that every taxi I stopped took me to my destination without any problems.

But, the last 2 months the problem has arisen again. Only yesterday morning  9,30, (a public holiday) I had 5 (yes FIVE!) taxis say no to a trip from Thong Lor to Ratchada. The trip took 15 minutes and cost 70 Baht.

2 hours ago, wirat69 said:

Last time a taxi refused me I pulled out my phone to photograph his ID.... He was off quicker than a taxi on Sukhumvit at midnight!!! hahahahahahahahahaha

This is a great idea. Scare the hell out of these guys. It is an infraction, punishable by a fine, for them to refuse a ride. So, lets start scaring these punks into submission. 

8 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I hate those SOB's who refuse to take you and then tell you a lie that they are off work now.  What a bunch of shit.  Hope they all die and go to hell.   I wanted a taxi to get on the expressway and drop me off.  No traffic just a 200 baht trip.  5 out of 6 refused.  Hope they all die and burn in hell the SOB.

Hell is a concept much pondered, and featured in many Judeo-Christian theological teachings, but I really don't think it is designed for Bangkok Taxi Drivers who refuse ThB200 fares...

:smile:

How does this take into account drivers who are near the end of their shift in a rented taxi and are looking for a short fare before returning the cab? There is no excuse for an owner/driver to refuse a fare other than the proposed trip doesn't suit them.

Last August i was in Bangkok with my son who was in Thailand for a holiday. We only stayed in Bangkok for just over 2 days,  not a single Taxi driver who we stopped would take us to any of our destinations. They just wouldn't do short trips. Had to walk from the train stations to our destinations. Result - we didn't see as many places as we intended, and spent far less. Only taxi we used was arranged from hotel to Hua lamphong station, and he refused to use the meter and was quite belligerent.

Well done Bangkok! More people who will not visit you again. Apart from changing planes at Swampy, only time i touch the ground there if i can help it. It was nice to get back to Udon, much more friendly. 

Had 12 refuse us at Suk soi 7 on Friday, long 25k trip. Decided to go to klong Toey instead, short trip, 200 baht was offered for a 60 baht ride, lazy cheating scum, on this occasion at least. The 14th cab stopped agreed to go on the meter, but then proceeded to moan about his lot, how much the taxi hire cost him etc. Must give the tourists a really good impression of the country! Nobody forces them to drive a taxi, but having chosen to they need to at least obey the laws governing there operation.

Edited by thai3

6 hours ago, petedk said:

I use two or three taxis every day and was beginning to think that the problem of refusing trips was over. For months it seemed that every taxi I stopped took me to my destination without any problems.

But, the last 2 months the problem has arisen again. Only yesterday morning  9,30, (a public holiday) I had 5 (yes FIVE!) taxis say no to a trip from Thong Lor to Ratchada. The trip took 15 minutes and cost 70 Baht.

Well, report them using that email. Hasn't there even an APP been created for that purpose?

I believe Taxi drivers think they can easily get away with refusing a Farang customer as they won't report them due to the hassle / extra work involved.

Still, my personal experience is different as my refusal ratio is less than 2% out of probably 1.000 Taxi rides or more over 12 years.

And those who refused me all were at lower Sukhumvit after special events late at night or early morning (WC final, for example)

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

Last August i was in Bangkok with my son who was in Thailand for a holiday. We only stayed in Bangkok for just over 2 days,  not a single Taxi driver who we stopped would take us to any of our destinations. They just wouldn't do short trips. Had to walk from the train stations to our destinations. Result - we didn't see as many places as we intended, and spent far less. Only taxi we used was arranged from hotel to Hua lamphong station, and he refused to use the meter and was quite belligerent.

" ...not a single Taxi driver who we stopped would take us to any of our destinations."

How many taxis did you try?

Well done Bangkok! More people who will not visit you again. Apart from changing planes at Swampy, only time i touch the ground there if i can help it. It was nice to get back to Udon, much more friendly. 

Something fishy about your post. I have never been refused a short trip from Nana bts to my condo, 5 minutes tops. They love short trips because there is a flag fall of 35 baht just to get inside. And

In a few minutes your out... It's the best money earner. Low fuel, not stuck in traffic for an hour. If they could just do short trips all day they would!

Dodgy post dude. In fact it is pure BS! And Udon is a shit hole lol

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Driving a cab for living is not for every one of course in any country the cab drivers are all the same mentality is to make more money on the next trip.

Fair enough and to refuse a trip because it is not paying enough well it is up to the individual to see if he had made enough that day for to feed his family or himself and screw the customers Bangkok is a very big city and money will always be made.

11 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

After reading your post twice, I came to the conclusion you were among the group classified as somewhat irritated by these clowns supposedly providing transportation to the public.:thumbsup:

Hell is a concept much pondered, and featured in many Judeo-Christian theological teachings, but I really don't think it is designed for Bangkok Taxi Drivers who refuse ThB200 fares...
:smile:

Perhaps he is wishing they all go to hell so when he dies they will refuse his ride down. Hehe.. ?

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a great idea. Scare the hell out of these guys. It is an infraction, punishable by a fine, for them to refuse a ride. So, lets start scaring these punks into submission. 

It's all fun and games until they jump out of the taxi and beat you to  death with a tire iron.

Thailand - the most congested city in the world  and the government stated 2 or 3 months ago that measures were taking place to solve the problems .     Now I do not condone the ignorant actions of some taxi drivers but I have experienced being sat in a cab for over 2 hours on a trip that should be 10 to 15 minutes , that will impact on his days takings on a 12 hours cab hire . I told the driver to stop and hailed 2 motorbike taxis , 1 for me and the other for my luggage and was at my hotel in 3 minutes . 

Now correct me if I am wrong but I do not think that I have seen a bus /taxi only lane in Bangkok/ Thailand .  They operate successfully in Europe and are overseen by cctv and automatic number plate recognition systems for lane violation .

On 2/12/2017 at 5:20 AM, Reigntax said:

Resolutions 80-90%.?

I wonder how they were resolved. Hand over the brown envelope and off you go.

I believe the standard complaint resolution technique here is to take the complaint, and toss it in the nearest trash can.  That usually seems to do the job quite nicely!!!

10 minutes ago, superal said:

Now correct me if I am wrong but I do not think that I have seen a bus /taxi only lane in Bangkok/ Thailand .  They operate successfully in Europe and are overseen by cctv and automatic number plate recognition systems for lane violation .

There is one dedicated bus-only lane/route in BKK, and that's the BRT line between Sathorn and somewhere.

You'll be heartened to know, the BMA just announced that they plan to shut it down/discontinue the service later this spring.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There is one dedicated bus-only lane/route in BKK, and that's the BRT line between Sathorn and somewhere.

You'll be heartened to know, the BMA just announced that they plan to shut it down/discontinue the service later this spring.

Well that says it all . Do you think bus/taxi lanes could be feasible in BKK ?  maybe at certain times of the day if managed correctly ? 

18 minutes ago, superal said:

Thailand - the most congested city in the world  and the government stated 2 or 3 months ago that measures were taking place to solve the problems .     Now I do not condone the ignorant actions of some taxi drivers but I have experienced being sat in a cab for over 2 hours on a trip that should be 10 to 15 minutes , that will impact on his days takings on a 12 hours cab hire . I told the driver to stop and hailed 2 motorbike taxis , 1 for me and the other for my luggage and was at my hotel in 3 minutes . 

Yeah I thought that before myself. They can't even keep motorcycles off the sidewalks so it simply wouldn't work. I always thought they should make Sukhumvit taxi and bus only one lane each way and the rest pedestrian. Then there would be space to walk and you could have all the vendors with out being in the way?

Before somebody tears my idea apart I am aware there are all kinds of considerations and I don't intend to debate the viability of such an idea as it will never happen anyway.

7 minutes ago, superal said:

Well that says it all . Do you think bus/taxi lanes could be feasible in BKK ?  maybe at certain times of the day if managed correctly ? 

I'm not a transit planner. But I can tell you, at one point, one of the prior BMA local governments had plans to develop a whole series of bus only routes/lanes around BKK. They built one, then the governments changed, the rest of the plans were abandoned, and now they're talking about abandoning the only one they actually built.

I like the BRT service and use it regularly, because it goes somewhere that I want to go that the BTS and MRT don't serve. But whether it's the best use of transit infrastructure, dunno. I know a lot of other cities in the modern world have developed at-grade light rail lines where the trains travel uninterrupted because the trains signal the traffic lights to turn/stay green when they're approaching. And Los Angeles for example still has so-called diamond lanes on its freeways that are reserved for public transit and multi-passenger vehicles.