“Double” pricing – you know it’s time for action when the Thais start to complain

Inspire

1 minute ago, chrissables said:

The amount of money i have or don't have really should not affect the pricing of National Parks.

I mentioned the year long visa foreigners, because we do live here, by default we pay tax etc through VAT and import tax. I would expect that to be a consideration in the pricing structure.

You don't, and if you are happy to pay ten fold the Thai price, good luck. I am not.

You are presuming I pay ten fold to see anything. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

Many flights there for you to enjoy "free" entry to there parks.

I presume you mean in Vietnam as i quoted? 

I am not long back from a trip there. I did not go looking for free or cheaper places, just a motorbike tour. But the fact is, just normal sights at the side of the road, are better than a lot of sights in Thai National Parks.

A free view of Mai Chau, Vietnam :)

DSC_0142.JPG

5 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

You are presuming I pay ten fold to see anything. 

Yes, on the basis you argue it is right. It would be a tad hypocritical to advocate ten fold pricing and not actually pay it. Unless you are a troll of course :)

8 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

So you belive 100% of tourist even realise there are two entry prices then LOL. I think 99.9% of Tourist won't even realize Thais get cheaper entry onto some places and out of that 90% would give a rats bum anyway. There on holiday to enjoy themselfs and to see diffrent things not like Mr expat on tv who comes here to moan and curse and genrally hate everything thai.

I figured it out the second day I was in the country.  My Thai friend took me to the Grand Palace.  Bingo!  Farang price.  Immediately became aware of dual-pricing within BKK.  Then across Thailand.  My guess are the most tourists, the 99%, are only ignorant until they experience the dual-pricing.  That's doesn't take long.  The other 0.9%?  As PT Barnun said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Im in krabi right now. Ao nang beach. Did the tour of the islands and had to pay the farang fees off 400 one day and 300 the next. I was planning on relaxing on phoda island but the 400baht fee plus 300 on boat each way turned me off. Decided to just chill on the beach of ao nang i stead and use the pool in the hotel. It definitely is true that its way too much. Cambodia is the better deal now. Im wondering if you have a thai Id card that u might be able to get the thai rate

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I am, in no way, in favour of "double" pricing, but I come to the defence of one "tourist" attraction in Chiang Mai.   I went, with my family, to the Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens.  Entry fee was shown as 80 thb at the entrance. The guy taking the money asked me my age, and I told him 66.  40 thb for you, then, he said, and 80 each for the others. I paid less than my Thai wife and daughter !  

1 hour ago, manhood said:

My conclusion of all of this: i do not go to an National Parks and all my friends visiting Thailand aren't going either.

If it would be double pricing (double means instead of 40 bath 80 bath) i would not mind.

but if i see what happens with the money that is paid for NP entrees i not pay any bath anymore.

It's just all pocket money and nothing is done to protect nature as that is not the reason to raise money!

If you also would get something for the money like flyers in engish, nature trails properly done or other informations (been to an NP and the had even no infos at all, nothing for sure in english; they were just luying around in chairs or benches and sleeping.

OK. stay away: thats the only way

My wife won't go to parks as a family as she says it's a rip off if her husband has to pay tenfold

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

Yes, on the basis you argue it is right. It would be a tad hypocritical to advocate ten fold pricing and not actually pay it. Unless you are a troll of course :)

No troll of course. I enjoy going to look round different places some charge and yes there are some that have diffrent prices for Thais and us I don't care. I pay what I need to pay sometimes I get in for local prices sometimes not. But I don't make a song and dance about a few bht. All this ten fold 1000% double who cares if it's worth seeing it's worth paying. 

1 hour ago, connda said:

I figured it out the second day I was in the country.  My Thai friend took me to the Grand Palace.  Bingo!  Farang price.  Immediately became aware of dual-pricing within BKK.  Then across Thailand.  My guess are the most tourists, the 99%, are only ignorant until they experience the dual-pricing.  That's doesn't take long.  The other 0.9%?  As PT Barnun said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

You went with a thai "girlfriend so therefore noticed it. Majority of tourists come as a couple or family so therefore wouldn't notice. Not all are cheap Charles like people on here

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

How do you know it's overpriced could very easily be worth a lot bigger entry fee.

Been to many NP,s in Thailand, can't say as any are worth 40 bht never mind 1000% more, most are poorly looked after with rubbish every where,poor information and infrastructure, clue less rangers etc. Been visiting them for 24 years, not any more.

So you belive 100% of tourist even realise there are two entry prices then LOL. I think 99.9% of Tourist won't even realize Thais get cheaper entry onto some places and out of that 90% would give a rats bum anyway. There on holiday to enjoy themselfs and to see diffrent things not like Mr expat on tv who comes here to moan and curse and genrally hate everything thai.

If you read the article correctly you will see that a lot of tourist are getting to know about the 1000% more than Thai price, a lot more than your 99.9 % guesstimate and the krabi boat men are complaining, 60% down on customer's.

Was in Ayutthaya last year and was surprised to be asked to pay to get into the 'floating market' (no charge for Thai).

You want me to pay to go shopping now? 55555

Edited by grollies

10 minutes ago, grollies said:

Was in Ayutthaya last year and was surprised to be asked to pay to get into the 'floating market' (no charge for Thai).

Same in Pattaya floating market, a lot less coaches there now, especially since the the demise of the Chinese tourists, they must be feeling the pinch

56 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

Been to many NP,s in Thailand, can't say as any are worth 40 bht never mind 1000% more, most are poorly looked after with rubbish every where,poor information and infrastructure, clue less rangers etc. Been visiting them for 24 years, not any more.

Now there you have it I've been to a good few and I belive they were well worth the money. Some people enjoy things more than others. I don't like LPG cars think there dangerous but others love them. But I don't bleed on about how much cheaper LPG is than diesel. Horses for courses.

57 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

If you read the article correctly you will see that a lot of tourist are getting to know about the 1000% more than Thai price, a lot more than your 99.9 % guesstimate and the krabi boat men are complaining, 60% down on customer's.

I read it but as it's an Inspire work of fiction designed to stimulate the usual which it has done. I took the figures and there facts on tourists with a pinch of salt.

Not all are cheap Charles like people on here

For the life of me, I cannot understand why being overcharged is some sort of badge of honor.

One has to wonder what the difference between someone putting a sign on the back of a rube which writes: "Kick me," and those that think it is their duty to pay more.  What gets me, is you people who want to pay more, don't mind it when others pay more.  Misery may love company, but in this case, why don't you keep this miserable practice to yourselves?

6 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

For the life of me, I cannot understand why being overcharged is some sort of badge of honor.

One has to wonder what the difference between someone putting a sign on the back of a rube which writes: "Kick me," and those that think it is their duty to pay more.  What gets me, is you people who want to pay more, don't mind it when others pay more.  Misery may love company, but in this case, why don't you keep this miserable practice to yourselves?

Well I have to say that's the most pathetic attempt at a moan on dual pricing on here today.  Maybe a sign "Donkey" for the worst post is applicable.

PS who said it was a badge of honour and I have repeatedly said not overcharged.

Edited by Deepinthailand

I generally refuse to go to any of the N.P.s here on the grounds of this pricing..But 3 yrs ago the soldier DID allow me into Khao Yai N.P. when I showed my Thai driving permit.

Let's not forget a big percentage of Water Parks & zoos here have this same dual-pricing.. again, I will not go there.

Also as mentioned earlier..today's traveller plans his trips on the net in advance.. when reading about this practice, your average tourist-family can quickly breakdown what attractions they're gonna visit day-by-day within the area they plan to visit, THEN work out the budget.. THEN check the exchange-rate.. (Let's not forget the tourist ATM/traveller's cheque rip-off at this point) THEN Mr average family may decide to go elsewhere..?   And no-one can blame them, Thailand just is not a cheap destination anymore.

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

Well I have to say that's the most pathetic attempt at a moan on dual pricing on here today.  Maybe a sign "Donkey" for the worst post is applicable.

My favorite quote is the following: "Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig." by Robert Heinlein

Whilst looking up the author, this quote from that horrible little man George Bernard Shaw presented itself: "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." 

In either case, both quotes apply. 

3 hours ago, manhood said:

My conclusion of all of this: i do not go to an National Parks and all my friends visiting Thailand aren't going either.

If it would be double pricing (double means instead of 40 bath 80 bath) i would not mind.

but if i see what happens with the money that is paid for NP entrees i not pay any bath anymore.

It's just all pocket money and nothing is done to protect nature as that is not the reason to raise money!

If you also would get something for the money like flyers in engish, nature trails properly done or other informations (been to an NP and the had even no infos at all, nothing for sure in english; they were just luying around in chairs or benches and sleeping.

OK. stay away: thats the only way

I quite agree i try to stay away, but it's not always that easy, a couple of months back I went with my Thai wife, another Thai couple, and a Japanese couple, travelled up to northern Chaing Mai from Sattahip, whilst we were there it was decided to visit a small National Park, (can;t remember the name) not that it really matters, approached the kiosk me in the middle behind the Japanese who with fingers signalled two tickets, 40bht no problem, i did the same 220bht wife jumped in, he is a resident followed by load of slanging back and forth, Man behind the desk would,nt budge, fallang pay X10, pointing at the board, so i had to pay up or spoil the day for everyone, i was'nt very happy as i purposely avoid any national parks, or national anything! and this park was certainly not worth it!

6 hours ago, Xonax said:

Dual pricing is definitely keeping millions of tourists away from visiting or re-visiting Thailand.  

As a tourist you will really feel screwed, when paying ten times what native Thais pay.

I like many repeat tourist in Thailand vote with my feet in the sense of not patronizing anywhere I have to pay extra for being a foreigner. I still come back to Thailand but U just don't spend the extra cash TAT wants me to because I know I'm being screwed...I'd rather spend my cash on the basics of a Holiday than the extra's if the extras are insulting,

If Thailand ever wants to progress as a 'quality tourist' destination it needs to enforce one-price for all approach, I come from New Zealand and tourism is a huge industry there but if anyone tried to overcharge you for being a foreigner they would get arrest under racial discrimination laws!

29 minutes ago, johnnytuc said:

Yup same in Hua Hin

If it is the same shopping mall I know of (Italian style) then over half of the shops have closed down anyway. 

When i went (the host paid full price for me) nearly everything was closed. We did find a coffee shop though.

When we left we saw about 10 buses full of Chinese tourists arriving.

Pattaya floating market also charges now. I often used to go in for lunch and eat noodles. No more.

Mimosa shopping mall is the same. Pay for what? to go and eat ice cream?

Let's wait for Paragon, Siam Center, Central World, Terminal 21 to start charging.

2 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

My favorite quote is the following: "Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig." by Robert Heinlein

Whilst looking up the author, this quote from that horrible little man George Bernard Shaw presented itself: "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." 

In either case, both quotes apply. 

I did reply guess you didn't like it. 

12 hours ago, alant said:

I doubt it will make any difference that the boat operators are having a lean time, certain things are done the way the people in power wish them to be and are likely to remain as such. Dual pricing, alcohol restrictions even reserved occupations. Part of Thainess.

Its quite simple, keep paying, and they will keep charging, guess what the answer is, try not not to think too hard F£%X Thainess

9 hours ago, grollies said:

8 hours ago, Usual Suspect said:

I generally refuse to go to any of the N.P.s here on the grounds of this pricing..But 3 yrs ago the soldier DID allow me into Khao Yai N.P. when I showed my Thai driving permit.

Let's not forget a big percentage of Water Parks & zoos here have this same dual-pricing.. again, I will not go there.

Also as mentioned earlier..today's traveller plans his trips on the net in advance.. when reading about this practice, your average tourist-family can quickly breakdown what attractions they're gonna visit day-by-day within the area they plan to visit, THEN work out the budget.. THEN check the exchange-rate.. (Let's not forget the tourist ATM/traveller's cheque rip-off at this point) THEN Mr average family may decide to go elsewhere..?   And no-one can blame them, Thailand just is not a cheap destination anymore.

Quite a few markets around the country that charge foreigners to come in and spend money.  I never go in, sit outside whilst the wife does the shopping.