Marchers across Mexico vent anger over Trump, and their own president

webfact

Marchers across Mexico vent anger over Trump, and their own president

By David Alire Garcia

REUTERS

r10.jpg

Thousands of protesters march in more than a dozen Mexican cities to express their fierce opposition to U.S. President Donald Trump. Nathan Frandino reports.

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Thousands of protesters in more than a dozen Mexican cities took to the streets on Sunday to express their fierce opposition to U.S. President Donald Trump, portraying the new leader as a menace to both America and Mexico.

Waving Mexicans flags and hoisting anti-Trump signs in both Spanish and English, some vulgar, many protesters also heaped scorn on their own president, deriding Enrique Pena Nieto as a weak leader who has presided over rampant corruption and violence at home.

Trump and Pena Nieto have been locked in battle over their countries' deep ties for months, even before Trump won the presidency with promises to get tougher on immigration and trade from Mexico.

Mexico fears Trump's policies could send Latin America's second biggest economy into crisis.

In a rare display of national unity, marchers and organizers came from across the country's deeply polarized political factions, encouraged in part by a pro-march ad campaign by Televisa, the country's dominant broadcaster.

In the Mexican capital, two separate marches were set to converge on the iconic Angel of Independence monument on the city's leafy Paseo de la Reforma avenue.

"He's such a bad man and he shouldn't act the way he does," said 62-year-old marcher Jorge Ruiz about Trump, who expressed particular anger at how the former reality TV star has insulted migrants.

One marcher carried a larger-than-life painted Trump mannequin, portraying him as an outlandish cartoon character, while others carried piñatas resembling the U.S. leader wearing floppy Mexican hats bearing pro-Mexico slogans.

"Mexicans demand respect, we want bridges not walls," read one banner carried by nearby marchers. "Trump you diminish America," read another.

Maria Paro Cassar, an organizer, said Trump has made Mexico and Mexicans in the United States "his favourite target."

"His policies are a global threat that go against pluralism and diversity and they represent a particular threat to Mexico," she added.

Three weeks into his administration, Trump has vowed to move ahead with construction of his signature border wall, which he has repeatedly said Mexico will pay for, as well as signalling a new push to deport millions of unauthorised immigrants from the country.

While organizers of the marches promoted them as non-partisan, many singled out Pena Nieto as a major obstacle.

"We're also marching today to demand that our own rulers put an end to corruption and so much loss of life here and actually look out for the good of the country, not just themselves," said 28-year-old office worker Victor Robledo.

Last month, a poll showed that Pena Nieto's approval ratings had hit a record low at just 12 percent, the lowest level of support for any president in decades.

(Additional reporting by Roberto Ramirez and Lizbeth Diaz; Editing by Mary Milliken)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-13

How dare a POTUS ask the Immigration dept., border patrol, FBI, Homeland Security, and law enforcement officers to uphold the existing laws. Laws that were in force before he took office. Hilary would never do such a thing. Obama didn't.

So the Mexicans think they should be entitled to illegally enter the US, breaking laws and becoming a criminal, and then commit other criminal offences to evade detection so they can illegally remain and that the US must ignore their own laws and allow the Mexicans to do this? Why on earth should they? And why should the Americans offer the slightest respect to criminals? 

A thoroughly corrupt country, with inept and corrupt law enforcement, rife with drug gangs, kidnappings, murders and unconcerned about a porous border. And now someone is going to enforce the law they whine like they are somehow a victim. Get real - you've abused weak liberal administrations for too long.

I really don't understand why people are so upset over a sovereign nation upholding its laws. If you are an ILLEGAL, get ready to go home. If you are in the US legally, there is nothing to worry about. I had to get a visa every year to remain in South Korea, Thailand and now Japan. The days of leeching off the taxpayers are over. Get legal or GTFO!

I don't come from the US but I have been following the many posts about Trump with much amusement. Just taking these two examples below (From many many others) I have a question.

"Thank you president Trump for reuniting from america to mexico"

"So, people are surprised as Trump is the first President who his promises fulfills?"

Is it necessary to be incapable of expressing yourself coherently in English to be a Republican or merely optional?

"Intelligenter" Bush and "Bigly" Trump spring to mind.

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I don't come from the US but I have been following the many posts about Trump with much amusement. Just taking these two examples below (From many many others) I have a question.

"So, people are surprised as Trump is the first President who his promises fulfills?"

Is it necessary to be incapable of expressing yourself coherently in English to be a Republican or merely optional?

It may well be that these posters aren't native English speakers.  

21 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes it would be a real treat to see home grown Americans cleaning pools and houses and grooming gardens and flipping burgers. Now that would give a real ring to "A day without a Mexican"

That's what teenagers used to do to pay for cars, gas, and maybe even put some money away for school. Get the kids working again and this Marxist takeover may be averted. 

Just now, bkkgriz said:

That's what teenagers used to do to pay for cars, gas, and maybe even put some money away for school. Get the kids working again and this Marxist takeover may be averted. 

Yes you bring back memories with that statement. Well its 2017 get kids working again? Somehow I just cannot picture that. Asking for "free" money I can comprehend. Asking for money today and doing a job in return tomorrow of course I can understand. Talking about money to put gas in the car these modern day kids have run out of gas period. Handouts are the order of the day. For the sake of disclosure I am a parent and a grandparent so I speak from experience. 

23 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Very astute observation.

In 1988, Spy conducted a national poll, the first ever on the presidential potential of Donald Trump. Offered a list of non-candidates, voters were asked: ‘Who are you most disappointed isn’t running for president?’ Trump got 4 per cent of the vote. Tellingly, Spy discovered the celebrity’s irreducible base: ‘In terms of level of education, the voters who most favoured a Trump candidacy – with a 9 per cent rating – were those whose minds remain uncluttered by any learning beyond junior high school.’

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n04/sidney-blumenthal/a-short-history-of-the-trump-family

Edited by Jingthing

On 13/2/2560 at 8:52 PM, Nigel Garvie said:

As they say when your in California, you speak Spanish...CA was part of Mexico...

Unbelievable - a POTUS that keeps his elections promises and enforces the immigration laws.   What is the world coming to.

Answer:  to the RIGHT way of thinking and the RIGHT way of managing a country.

Because: The People have had enough - first in UK - then in USA - next will be in EU - one country at a time.