"Outdated" Thai police getting new guns to keep up with the bad guys

webfact

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If you really want to shoot out some tyres try one of these. You can do it at 35 kilometres as well.

This a 'gun' ie it has wheels.

175mm ME107.

images (8).jpg

kids  pop  gun  try  this 

schwerer-gustav-head-725503.jpg

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Let's not forget that a Thai policeman has to buy and pay for his own sidearm,

if he can't afford the expensive one, he's stuck with the six shooter....

What Thai cop doesn't have extra cash on hand? If not he can increase his number of traffic stops or bar visits for a few weeks.

12 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Shooting the Glock 17 9x19

Starting at 0.49 there is a guy shooting with his left thumb over his right hand.  He is lucky the slide didn't rip his thumb open.  None of these look like experienced shooters.  They are Brits anyway, so not surprising.

It's a very confusing article without much detail but the order for the 150,000 Sig Sauer 320s two years ago was clearly done through the Interior Ministry's civil servant welfare scheme which imports guns and sells to approved civil servants, including coppers, at a discount to local gun store prices but still at a significant premium to US prices.  They said they were importing them from the US at the time but who knows if they got them, since Western European arms manufacturers have been embargoing sales to Thailand since the mid 2000s due to concerns over human rights abuses by security forces in the Deep South.  A few guns at a time can slip through from US wholesalers but I guess a large shipment would have had been difficult to organise without alerting Sig Sauer HQ in Switzerland.  I would guess they would have the same problems obtaining a large order of Glocks from via the US too without someone from Glock in Austria getting involved.   East European manufacturers like CZ just want to make money and ignore the European boycott and ship direct to Thailand.  

Notwithstanding potential difficulties in obtaining a large order of Western European handguns for police use I think the article was trying to say the police planned to order some Glock handguns for their own stock, as opposed to the Sigs that were for the welfare scheme.  As the article suggests they do have ancient .38 special revolvers for general issue but no self respecting policeman would be seen dead wearing one of those.  If the carry revolvers at all these days, it is usually a .357 magnum.   Perhaps they are really thinking of introducing a standard issue side arm. It would make sense for them all to be trained on the same weapon and for police armourers to maintain just one type of gun.  But it seems unlikely that will happen, as that would be too efficient.  More likely most of the Glocks, if they can obtain them at all, would mysteriously  disappear somewhere. 

The Glock 17 has a magazine capacity of 17 rounds, vs the 15 stated in the article.  

20 hours ago, starky said:

What happened to 150 000  Sigs that they were getting not long ago  that was approved by the ministry and signed off on by Mr. P which we're even going for a cheap price and even subsidies available for those that couldn't afford them. Or was that another one of those rorts that never happened and of which we can not speak. Or maybe that all got sold off through other channels?

I kinda think it is a repeat announcement of the same old "news" Item because journos like the weekends off too.  Monday is always a slow news day and weird stuff turns up in newspapers all over the world on Mondays for the above reasons.  I am sure it is the same thing just compounded (TIT style), by bad journalism.  Brand of gun not mentioned.  If they had said "Sig" we would know it was probably the same  deal but the picture seems to show a Glock which is confusing.  However they could have just dragged up the first suitable file picture from anywhere. (TIT again.)  Also the calibre is wrong.  They say "38" which usually means 38 special in police guns (but in revolvers).  (There is a 38 Super semi auto calibre and a 380ACP and a few other oddball 38's but not as standard issue police guns.  I am sure the new standard gun will be  in 9mm Parabellum AKA 9mm Luger; with possible personal allowances for 40S&W or 45ACP for certain officers.  Don't expect a retraction or clarification tomorrow.    TIT, Yeah, yeah, yeah!!

But, but, but, Thai Police have to buy their own equipment, including guns right?

So are Thai Police employees going to be required by their departments to collect more "tea money" to pay for their new guns?

9 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Hi-Point made a 9mm rifle, so did Ruger made the Camp 9mm carbine.

Marlin made the Camp Carbine, not Ruger.  I used to sell and personally also owned a suppressed one in .45ACP .  That action was chambered in 9mm Para,  45ACP and, of all things, 22WRM, (.22 magnum).  Now out of production.  It was not strong and had several problems.  Numerous companies have made Military & Police type carbines in 9mm, many to use their own proprietary pistol magazines.  Quite practical actually to have one magazine that fits all your staff pistols & carbines, as long as in your standardization, you bought your outfit's pistols & carbines from the same manufacturer.  

Edited by The Deerhunter

9 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Hi-Point made a 9mm rifle, so did Ruger made the Camp 9mm carbine.

Marlin made the Camp Carbine, not Ruger.  I used to sell and also personally  owned a suppressed one in .45ACP .  That action was chambered in 9mm Para,  45ACP and, of all things, 22WRM, (.22 magnum).  Now out of production.  It was not strong and had several problems.  Numerous companies have made Military & Police type carbines in 9mm, many to use their own proprietary pistol magazine.  Quite practical actually to have one magazine that fits all your staff pistols & carbines, as long as in your standardization, you bought your outfit's pistols & carbines from the same manufacturer.