Ecuadorian woman and Russian man arrested in Suvarnabhumi Airport cocaine bust

webfact

Ecuadorian woman and Russian man arrested in Suvarnabhumi Airport cocaine bust

2pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

BANGKOK: -- A woman from Ecuador and a Russian man were arrested after 2.3 kilos of cocaine was found hidden in shampoo and skin cream bottles in the woman's luggage.

Arrested by Suvarnabhumi airport drugs officers (AITF) yesterday was Jenny Carmel Del Rocio Acuna Pacheco, reported Manager Online.

She had travelled to Bangkok from Lima, Peru via Amsterdam in the Netherlands on Royal Dutch Airlines flight KL875.

Police said that the cocaine - a Class 2 prohibited drug - was found in the bottles in a suitcase. It was in cream form.

Following the woman's arrest early afternoon the enquiry was expanded.

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

At The Ivory hotel in Lat Krabang 22 at 7pm the AITF and tourist police arrested 30 year old Russian man Mikhail Shabanov.

He was found in possession of 278,320 baht, 31,700 roubles and $100 US all of which was taken into evidence.

Police say he was the intended recipient of the drugs but he has denied this.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-14

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure that he wouldn't have been handing the cash to the courier. Money would have been exchanged with the people that controlled the courier in another way, and probably by the people that controlled him (if he's guilty)

The ones that get caught with the hands on their goods at the point of exchange are the pawns, not the kings and queens.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

3 hours ago, waldroj said:

"... Police say he was the intended recipient of the drugs...He was found in possession of 278,320 baht, 31,700 roubles and $100 US..."

Surely, this must have only been a down payment (approx. $8,600 US) if 2.3 kilos of cocaine is involved ???

See http://www.narcoticnews.com/drug-prices/cocaine/asia/

it had been jumped on ?

5 minutes ago, wvavin said:

All drug traffickers if found guilty by the court of law must be executed to safeguard the people.

Sure, because we all need protecting from mules, the mafia can carry on and find another mule tomorrow, by the way, so nothing is actually achieved other than your blood lust being temporarily satisfied.

5 hours ago, waldroj said:

"... Police say he was the intended recipient of the drugs...He was found in possession of 278,320 baht, 31,700 roubles and $100 US..."

Surely, this must have only been a down payment (approx. $8,600 US) if 2.3 kilos of cocaine is involved ???

See http://www.narcoticnews.com/drug-prices/cocaine/asia/

If I was the shipper I would want payment in advance. As in this case sending it C.O.D. would be a lost cause. 

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

I wonder if there was a tip of or something, i mean in cream form.. most people would look past that. 

A few things look funny. I too wondered how they identified cream as coke. I mean it woukldn't show up as coke in a screening, just as liquid.
I also wondered why the Russian didn't get spooked by an obvious delay in "his parcel" arriving, but just sat there with some cash.

I wonder if, as is often the case, she was stitched up to let another 10 people, each with much more, saunter through, while customs were busy with the sucker.

It would pay to take a much closer look at everyone on the plane, on every occasion, if such a tip off did indeed come in.

Is there a worse country to import drugs into?  I am gobsmacked that these people are so freakin stupid!

99.9% make it through succesfully. The cost of cocaine is extremely expensive here.

Probably one of the best countries to smuggle into on a risk/reward basis considering the passports these two held.

If holding a G7 passport, you would want to smuggle the product into Australia for the best risk reward.

Remember that extremely harsh prison sentences for drugs in SEA just increase the value of said drugs.

To me these people aren't stupid. The pattaya suicide folks who kill themselves becauase of money issues are stupid for not approaching the Nigerians for a job in this line of business.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I wonder if there was a tip of or something, i mean in cream form.. most people would look past that. 

Could have been walking past a dog for example.

If it was so easy to smuggle it in cream form, much less people would swallow it I think. 

i've never seen a dog in suvarnabumi.  i'm sure they have them but i've gone through the airport 8-10 times a year for 10 years.  my bet is this was a tip off.  and while the officers were busy with her, the other mules came on through.

1 minute ago, JerryinTH said:

Could have been walking past a dog for example.

If it was so easy to smuggle it in cream form, much less people would swallow it I think. 

I have not much experience smuggling drugs, but often when things are hidden well they are not found unless the cops were tipped off. But you might be right that a dog picked up the scent. 

I mean there are cars here in Thailand specially prepped for the transport of meth and they only get caught if they are informed on. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

A tip or stitch up is possible. But it is also possible that simple profiling was enough to raise the red flag:

She had travelled to Bangkok from Lima, Peru via Amsterdam in the Netherlands