Over 680 arrested in U.S. immigration raids; rights groups alarmed

webfact

Over 680 arrested in U.S. immigration raids; rights groups alarmed

By Julia Edwards Ainsley and Kristina Cooke

REUTERS

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. immigration officers last week arrested more than 680 people in the country illegally, the homeland security chief said on Monday, in a broad enforcement action that alarmed immigrant rights groups.

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said the operations, conducted in at least a dozen states, were routine and consistent with regular operations carried out by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE.

Immigrant rights advocates said the operations, which they describe as raids, were not business as usual, and were more sweeping than operations conducted during the administration of former Democratic President Barack Obama.

Kelly said in a statement that 75 percent of the immigrants arrested have criminal records, ranging from homicide to driving under the influence of alcohol.

He said the operation also targeted people who have violated immigration laws.

Some had ignored final orders of deportation, according to ICE, the agency responsible for immigrant arrests and deportations.

Obama was criticized for being the "deporter in chief" after he deported over 400,000 people in 2012, more than any president in a single year.

In 2014, Obama's homeland security chief issued a memo directing agents to focus on deporting a narrow slice of immigrants, namely those who had recently entered the country or committed serious felonies. Immigrants who were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol, for example, were treated as lower priorities for deportation.

Republican President Donald Trump promised to deport 2 million to 3 million migrants with criminal records on taking office.

At a news conference with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday, Trump said his administration had "really done a great job" in its recent arrests of immigrants.

"We're actually taking people that are criminals, very, very, hardened criminals in some cases with a tremendous track record of abuse and problems," Trump said.

ICE said in a statement on Monday that the operations targeted immigrants in the Midwest, Los Angeles, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and San Antonio.

The ICE statistics revealed regional differences in the profiles of the immigrants arrested. Of the 41 people arrested in New York City and surrounding areas, 93 percent had criminal convictions, while 45 percent of the 51 people arrested in the San Antonio, Texas area did.

Among the 190 people arrested in Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina, were 17 people who had no criminal convictions or a prior order to leave the country, according to ICE.

In a Jan. 25 executive order, Trump broadened an Obama-era priority enforcement system for immigrants subject to removal from the United States.

"Now it seems like anyone could be arrested," said Shiu-Ming Cheer, senior staff attorney at the National Immigration Law Center. "The level of fear and anxiety is much higher than I've ever seen it."

(Reporting by Julia Edwards Ainsley and Kristina Cooke; Additional reporting by Emily Stephenson; Editing by Peter Cooney and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-14

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Why use the word Immigrant instead of Illegal?

Not all of them are illegal when they are arrested.   They may be legal, but due to a serious charge or conviction, their visa may be rescinded and they can be deported (or imprisoned).  

2 hours ago, Scott said:

Not all of them are illegal when they are arrested.   They may be legal, but due to a serious charge or conviction, their visa may be rescinded and they can be deported (or imprisoned).  

So the people likely to be imprisoned and/or deported are either people who illegally entered the US, thereby breaking laws and becoming criminals; or people who entered legally but subsequently have broken laws and maybe be arrested and have their permission to enter/stay revoked.

So what are the human rights groups whining about? Are they saying that just because the Obama administrations chose not to enforce the law it's now unfair to do so? How daft must these people think the general public are to try such blatant nonsense? Of course all the left liberal PC types will lap it up.

24 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

So the people likely to be imprisoned and/or deported are either people who illegally entered the US, thereby breaking laws and becoming criminals; or people who entered legally but subsequently have broken laws and maybe be arrested and have their permission to enter/stay revoked.

That is putting it simply. :smile:

Personally I think that anyone who navigates and abides by the Thai Immigration laws in order to make Thailand their 'home' shouldn't have much sympathy for illegal immigrants wherever they reside.  With the US being my country of origin, I'm quite happy about immigration law finally being applied.  I abide by Thai Immigration law; immigrants to my home country should abide by US Immigration law. 

Edited by connda

I REAALLLLLYYYY don't get it. Do any of those bleeding hearts back in the US actually know what goes on in the rest of the world???

Really, does anyone shed a tear or even bother if one of us foreigners gets deported from Thailand for being here illegally?

Do they know that we cannot own land even after working here legally for almost 14 years?

I wish they would crackdown back in Canada and get rid of the illegals there who are siphoning off our welfare system there... while me, a 6th generation Canadian, can't even get a dime if I need it.

Screw that crap!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

while 45 percent of the 51 people arrested in the San Antonio, Texas area did

That's 22.95 people. Quid of the .05 person [if / or even if not - all contained in the same person!]? No one is completely bad.

Edited by AGLV0121

1 hour ago, bkkgriz said:

Fantastic start. Keep rounding up illegals and shipping them out. I've said it before, why would anyone object to illegal immigrants being deported? Comply with immigration laws or GTFO.

So you support breaking up families of otherwise law abiding undocumented persons?:sad:

What about the young dreamers who became undocumented with no fault of their own and know no other country other than the USA? 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, bkkgriz said:

Fantastic start. Keep rounding up illegals and shipping them out. I've said it before, why would anyone object to illegal immigrants being deported? Comply with immigration laws or GTFO.

Absolutely, they know the risk and they've been caught, now go and don't come back.

Zero sympathy.

Thank you President Trump.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

So what are the human rights groups whining about? Are they saying that just because the Obama administrations chose not to enforce the law it's now unfair to do so? How daft must these people think the general public are to try such blatant nonsense? Of course all the left liberal PC types will lap it up.

The Obama administration chose not to enforce the law?  Did you read the article, " Obama was criticized for being the "deporter in chief" after he deported over 400,000 people in 2012, more than any president in a single year. "

Why do people even feel there is an arquement for illegals. They are criminals from the moment they enter the country. How they live or support themselves is irrelevant.They have no right to be in America even if they live like monks. What part of illegal do people do not understand

51 minutes ago, USPatriot said:

When I was driving in Arizona a truck next to me had <deleted> Trump.. I looked at the people in the back and said.   Trump is going to win and you are going home to mexico.

You checked their documents or did you judge their status based on ethnicity? Don't bother answering. We all know. 

i'm an american and not a trump supporter (nor a basher).  the illegal immigrant situation in the USA is totally out of control.  there are still a a couple million that need to go.  i don't care if they don't have a criminal record.  they are in the country illegally.  if i am in the USA and possess heroin, it is illegal, i go to jail.   the key word is ILLEGAL.  if that is your situation then you pay the price (so to speak).  if the ultra liberals want to help these people out, maybe they should send money to them in their home country after they get deported.  i'm sure they would appreciate it.  and it would be a great help to them.

illegal migration is a worldwide problem, people do not and will not recognize borders as a legitimate reason to remain. The grass is always greener...

If I could better my and my families life by sneaking across a border and making 10X the monies available in my home country - well, try and guess where I would be.

So, my personal belief is (and this is only my opinion) there is a valid reason to be an "illegal". I do not consider this a serious crime, but more a crime on inconvenience.

However, if you are in a country illegally and you are caught - well, so be it. You played the game and lost. Sorry for the inconvenience that being deported provides to you and your family. If it uhm... "splits up your family", well, you knew the hazards involved when you decided to violate the law.

Of course, every case is individual and all persons should be allowed to present the facts relating to their case to a court - and, if for humanitarian reasons your specific case is justified, may the court rule in your favor.

On another note, as per Obama and the Deporter-in-Chief monikor, well, perhaps, its only statistics, since every year we have more illegals, every year we should have more deportations. Simple arithmetic. 

9 minutes ago, buick said:

i'm an american and not a trump supporter (nor a basher).  the illegal immigrant situation in the USA is totally out of control.  there are still a a couple million that need to go.  i don't care if they don't have a criminal record.  they are in the country illegally.  if i am in the USA and possess heroin, it is illegal, i go to jail.   the key word is ILLEGAL.  if that is your situation then you pay the price (so to speak).  if the ultra liberals want to help these people out, maybe they should send money to them in their home country after they get deported.  i'm sure they would appreciate it.  and it would be a great help to them.

The number of undocumented people living in the USA is MUCH HIGHER than a few million. Something ELEVEN MILLION. I don't think very many people are against deporting violent criminals that are undocumented. But reasonable people like McCain and democrats well understand it's just not practical or desirable to deport so many millions of people. 

There is fear and panic in the streets about trump's intentions based on his toxic campaign rhetoric. Not so much about what he's already done (except for the unconstitutional Muslim ban which is separate) but what he appears to be planning to do. In other words, if he's really serious about deporting 11 million ... and the communities effected start to feel it ... don't think it will be a peaceful situation. 

What's the civilized solution? Duh. Not rocket science. Long and difficult paths for undocumented persons to become legalized. Not favoring them over people applying from outside, but acknowledging the practical reality of the situation that exists. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, USPatriot said:

When I was driving in Arizona a truck next to me had <deleted> Trump.. I looked at the people in the back and said.   Trump is going to win and you are going home to mexico.

Without, of course knowing anything about them. Very consistent in a Trump supporter.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In other words, if he's really serious about deporting 11 million ... and the communities effected start to feel it ... don't think it will be a peaceful situation. 

it is impossible to deport that many people over the course of a few years.  what i'm saying is when someone gets pulled over for a traffic violation by the police and is found to be ILLEGAL they are deported.  not saying a mass roundup.  the law needs to be enforced, that is why it is there.  and the ILLEGALS shouldn't be given driver's licenses and stuff like that.  if they go to the hospital, fix em up, then deported.  i fully support a structured  method of allowing immigrants into the country.  they are needed and wanted in the USA.  but it must be done legally.  if the law had been enforced in a more strict method in the past, we wouldn't have the problem we have today.  we let the balloon grow and it is now time for the 'pop'.

I read about a protest the other day about a woman that had been detained and was due to be deported. The woman had 2 children born in the US and over 250 people were demonstrating against her deportation. The thought struck me at the time, that if each of these protesters reached into their pockets and donated $6.50 the woman could be processed legally with every expectation of becoming a Permanent Resident in the next year.

4 minutes ago, buick said:

it is impossible to deport that many people over the course of a few years.  what i'm saying is when someone gets pulled over for a traffic violation by the police and is found to be ILLEGAL they are deported.  not saying a mass roundup.  the law needs to be enforced, that is why it is there.  and the ILLEGALS shouldn't be given driver's licenses and stuff like that.  if they go to the hospital, fix em up, then deported.  i fully support a structured  method of allowing immigrants into the country.  they are needed and wanted in the USA.  but it must be done legally.  if the law had been enforced in a more strict method in the past, we wouldn't have the problem we have today.  we let the balloon grow and it is now time for the 'pop'.

Local law enforcement people have enough work to do without working for ICE. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You asked about the the headline and I gave an explanation.  

As far as the general problem of illegals, I don't know too many people that are against the deportation of illegals in the general course of business, but I do know people that are against the targeting of people because of ethnicity.   I also know people who are against the local police being tasked with taking the time to try and ascertain someone's immigration status.  

The situation with many of the people who arrived from Mexico is somewhat akin to the situation of Hill Tribe people in Thailand who have never gotten Thai Nationality (but are usually allowed to remain in Thailand).   Many, including the recently deported mother of two in AZ, arrived as a child, she is married to either a citizen or legal resident and her children are US citizens.   Her crime -- using someone elses Social Security Number to work, which is apparently a federal offense. 

I also know that the former Maricopa Sheriff, Joe Arpio, is under federal indictment for his round ups, which not only netted illegals working in Arizona, but also legal citizens.   These round ups were often at work places.   Among those detained  were people of Native American ancestry -- they looked like Mexicans and anyone who didn't look like a white American.  

I think the problem with much of this is the detaining of people who are doing nothing wrong and going about their ordinary business or working and then being detained.

Again, if we compare it to Thailand, there are a lot of foreigners whose status is questionable, but the police do not routinely round up foreigners and start checking for their status.   They could certainly have a great deal of fun raiding schools for teachers who work illegally, but they don't generally do it.

So, I don't think most people are concerned about the illegals, but deportation needs to be done with the minimum impact on US citizens and their families.  

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So you support breaking up families of otherwise law abiding undocumented persons?:sad:

What about the young dreamers who became undocumented with no fault of their own and know no other country other than the USA? 

Do you have the same view of the foreigners living here in Thailand, working illegally? No visa? No cash for visa requirements? GF kids, no heath insurance? Driving with no licence and uninsured?

Or are you one of the why should I have to comply and they not. they make things worse for all the good law abiding foreigners, give us all a bad name, and make things more difficult for the rest of us. Deport them?

3 minutes ago, kevkev1888 said:

Do you have the same view of the foreigners living here in Thailand, working illegally? No visa? No cash for visa requirements? GF kids, no heath insurance? Driving with no licence and uninsured?

Or are you one of the why should I have to comply and they not. they make things worse for all the good law abiding foreigners, give us all a bad name, and make things more difficult for the rest of us. Deport them?

Thailand is off topic.

The USA is a land of immigrants. 

Don't bother baiting me with off topic trash again. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

Thailand is off topic.

The USA is a land of immigrants. 

Don't bother baiting me with off topic trash again. 

Ah so I thought, you are in the hang them high brigade then, and support breaking up families of otherwise law abiding undocumented persons?

Thailand is right to enforce its immigration rules, but the USA not.

On topic in a discussion about illegal immigrants. But it dose show the hypocrisy, so understand why you do not like it.