Thai Cabinet OKs fund to bring electrical cables underground in 4 cities

webfact

Cabinet OKs fund to bring electrical cables underground in 4 cities

cab.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet on Tuesday agreed to set aside 11,668 million baht fund for the Provincial Electricity Authority to bring all the overhead electrical cables in Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, Pattaya and Nakhon Ratchasima underground and to boost the efficiency of power transmission.

Vice Minister of PM’s Office Mr Kobsak Phutrakul said that the pilot project to bring overhead electrical cables underground in the four key cities amounted to a major overhaul of power transmission system. It will also beautify the urban landscape of the cities, he added.

The bulk of the fund, 8,750 million baht, will be in the form of domestic loans and the rest, about 2,920 million baht, will come from the PEA’s coffers.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabinet-oks-fund-bring-electrical-cables-underground-4-cities/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-02-15

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So a few power cables will be buried whilst the hundreds of fibre optic cables will remain there in the spaghetti jungle!

I'm thinking it's getting too late for the telcos to untangle this mess, country wide. AND it gets worse every day!

To place electric Cable properly and I emphasize properly, because you certainly can't muck about with this stuff, underground will cost far more than this budget is allocated , and a time limit of those cities mentioned you're looking at 25 years program at least, they might complete one block......................:coffee1:

I know it makes sense and I hope they do it, but I for one find this spaghetti mess quite amusing. I've never seen anything like it in any country I've been to. And I love the sound of the roosting birds as they cling to the cables chirping their little hearts out at dusk. 

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:

If the electric cables will go underground, what happens to the telephone and optical fibre lines. Will they stay aloft? Do not dig up the sidewalk twice!!!

Only twice? bet it ends up more times than that! just like every other major city in the world!

48 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

I'm just disappointed that Udon Thani is not one of those "four key cities"

Fraid Udon Thani can't be considered a "key" city by anyone's imagination! any monies spent will go to Khon Kaen first as far more important city - in the eyes of the rulers!

1 minute ago, malibukid said:

how about fixing the pedestrian signals in CM that break down every other week.  make the sidewalks safe by removing all the barriers that impede walking. 

What's the point fixing pedestrian signals, because most drivers here totally ignore them?

If the 'sidewalks' (pavements) are cleared.... they will become a new motor bike lane.. so even less safe for people walking.

20 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Wait a minute Is says "ELECTRICAL" but makes no mention of Cable or Telephone lines

So the tangled web will still remain ?

I suppose they'll take out the poles. Which in practise means the tangled web will just lay on the ground.

4 hours ago, bdenner said:

So a few power cables will be buried whilst the hundreds of fibre optic cables will remain there in the spaghetti jungle!

I'm thinking it's getting too late for the telcos to untangle this mess, country wide. AND it gets worse every day!

You haven't been following the previous news on this work. The MEA in Bangkok and the PEA in these cities will be responsible for relocating all electrical power cables below ground in ducts. They will also lay ducts along side for the fibre optic and telephone cables. The installation in Bangkok has already started.