Letter of residence

Hi,

I wanna sell my scooter and apparently I need either a work permit or a letter of residence in order to transfer it to the new owner.

Some source says a police report might do as well.
Now I bought this bike when I still had a work permit - however now I am here on a tourist visa.

How would I obtain a letter of residence that would suffice with the Department of Land Transport for that purpose?

I read that at Chaeng Watthana a 90 day report would be necessary for a LoR but on a tourist visa I am obviously not doing that.

In a way I do report my residence on every entry though.
I have contract with my condo as well.

The other option might be my german embassy, but I read it does not issue one as I am still resident in my country.
Will call them tomorrow...

Has anybody ever tried?
What if I go to Mo Chit with the buyer in person?

Thx, much appreciated

If you already are registered as the owner, and have a paper on that. It can be the book as sufficent paper.
Then it should not at all be a problem to change owner together with your passport only, as long as the new owner has all the papers needed.
That all you need. If it still do not work, you will certainly be able to use a motorbike shop, to change the name for you.

36 minutes ago, Get Real said:

If you already are registered as the owner, and have a paper on that. It can be the book as sufficent paper.
Then it should not at all be a problem to change owner together with your passport only, as long as the new owner has all the papers needed.
That all you need. If it still do not work, you will certainly be able to use a motorbike shop, to change the name for you.

Thx,
But I am not sure I understand.
All the information I can find points to some certificate being mandatory to transfer the bike:
http://www.thailawonline.com/en/property/vehicle/transferring-a-motorcycle-in-thailand.html

2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

You don't need letter of residence to sell the bike. The new owner does if they are a foreigner without a work permit, you as the seller do not.

You need to sign the transfer papers and provide a signed copy of the photo page of your passport and your current visa. 

Yeah it sounds strange for the seller to need that.
My guess is that when you are doing it via the power of attorney you would need that.

26 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

You bought the bike so must of had a Residency Certificate when you bought and registered it?

I believe when i bought it I presented my work permit, which i still had back then.

Thai immigration provides a form, but I am not sure whether I am eligible:
http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/res_cert.doc

I have condo rented in my name, but my tourist visa will end in about a week...

Edited by rideride

Just now, rideride said:

I believe when i bought it i presented my work permit, which i still back then.

Thai immigration provides a form, but I am not sure whether I am eligible:
http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/res_cert.doc

I have condo rented in my name, but my tourist visa will end in about a week...

OK. I now see how you bought it and registered it. You will certainly need to obtain a residency certificate to be able to sell it as I i am pretty certain you cannot use your outdated work permit. It's difficult as I haven't come across this before. Immigration should issue you a residency certificate showing your condo contract. You certainly don't need to be doing 90 day reports in order to obtain one.

16 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Immigration should issue you a residency certificate showing your condo contract. You certainly don't need to be doing 90 day reports in order to obtain one.

Bangkok immigration will not issue a residence certificate unless a person is doing 90 day reports to them. That has been a requirement there for several years now.

1 hour ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Fantastic! Another office doing it different. I never knew that. Any idea how the OP proceeds now?

Yeah looks like I'm stuck.
It is like everything I buy here stays here, bc as soon as I leave I cannot sell it anymore :D

2 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

OK. I now see how you bought it and registered it. You will certainly need to obtain a residency certificate to be able to sell it as I i am pretty certain you cannot use your outdated work permit. It's difficult as I haven't come across this before. Immigration should issue you a residency certificate showing your condo contract. You certainly don't need to be doing 90 day reports in order to obtain one.

You DO NOT need a residency certificate to SELL a bike or car.  Just passport and visa copy.

16 hours ago, rideride said:

Yeah it sounds strange for the seller to need that.
My guess is that when you are doing it via the power of attorney you would need that.

You don't need it if doing by power of attorney. I know, I have sold three bikes in Thailand, all by power of attorney and I have never needed a letter or residency 

Edited by PremiumLane
grammar

12 minutes ago, rideride said:

Yeah looks like I'm stuck.
It is like everything I buy here stays here, bc as soon as I leave I cannot sell it anymore :D

You could try the German honorary consulate in Pattaya. They might be more flexible about doing the proof of address.

Not sure how up to date it is. Contact info is here.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/information/2015/29013-GERMANY-(Pattaya).html

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could try the German honorary consulate in Pattaya. They might be more flexible about doing the proof of address.

Not sure how up to date it is. Contact info is here.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/information/2015/29013-GERMANY-(Pattaya).html

Thx. unfortunately that is not an option for me due to time restrictions.
My guess is that if I shop at Department of transport together with him that might help.

But well...some say so, some say so.

I believe it is possible whithout is as PremiumLane mentioned, but he does not.
And there might be good reason for that as there is information out there verifying that It is mandatory to have.

Little update.

There is a apparently a way out of this and that is to deregister the bike.
Ideally then you would have trustworthy thai at hand to take it over.

Then transferring it over from the thai person will be easy.

However I am running out of time and getting sick of it and will now simply keep that scooter -hah" ;) 

Thx guys!