Philippines offers Chinese visa on arrival

sekmet

I truly hope this move impacts tourism here for the worse...it seems that  our dollars is all the Thai government cares about...sine the Chinese have been coming more often,  Thais treat white foreigners with a bit of contempt...they do not realize that most of us make significant contributions to the economy...beyond beer and prostitutes...when they realize that ALL tourists/expats can take their money elsewhere, Thais might be more open the idea that they need to clean up their act...

Lets hope so..    almost a thousand Chinese tourists on a single beach here in south Thailand..  they have 7700  islands in the Phillies, hope they can divide and spread out a bit better.

7107 (I've got the T-Shirt :P)

But in all seriousness the real problem for the Chinese to visit most of them will be they'd have to change flights in Manila which is always a nightmare.

Exception maybe being Cebu which has some really nice beaches (away from Cebu City) & has Bahol next door (one of my Favourite islands in PI).

5 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I really hope so and not because I want Thailand to suffer

55555...understand.  I too hope more Chinese head to the PI instead of Thailand, mostly because Thailand has been inundated with Chinese tourists.  But I don't believe the Chinese will be impressed and will return to Thailand in short order....unfortunately.  The PI is just dirty and dangerous, among other issues.  But PI lovers, don't get upset!  I'm rooting for you and really, really want the Chinese to choose the Philippines over Thailand.  I really, really mean that.  

7 hours ago, Caca4u said:

I can't understand why Philipines doesnt get more tourists. they have the most amazing islands and beaches in the world, it beats thailand hands down. 

maybe because they have zero tourism infrastructure or investment.....?

7 hours ago, Caca4u said:

I can't understand why Philipines doesnt get more tourists. they have the most amazing islands and beaches in the world, it beats thailand hands down. 

Well, though I have always had an inkling to go there and some curiousity, what has stopped me is the crime and the idea that stores and banks etc have armed guards protecting the premises. 

I go there twice a year because my boss doesn't want to go there.... I <deleted> hate it! Cebu is nice and boracay and I heard Palawan is a paradise, but I'm stuck in crappy Manila. Don't see many Chinese tourists because it's really not a touristy place. With thailand you got beaches... Then you hop on a coach and you got temples and then shopping malls if you want. Less scammers in thailand also. As soon as you land in NAIA theres a taxi tout that will try and fleece the unsuspecting first time visitors for 1000 pesos for a 12km trip to Makati. But the meter taxi across the road will just cost 250 pesos.

Shit food, shit Internet, shit traffic, shit transport system and more down and outs than Pattaya. They offer the visa on arrival now because they need to, Thailand obviously doesn't. My friends and family in hk and china always go thailand and maybe only my parents have been philippines and that's on a group tour 30 years ago when it was better under Marcos.

You just can't compare RPI with LOS when it comes to tourism friendliness.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

How quickly this devolved into a PI v. LOS row. Chinese run on group tour. NAIA CEB and potentially CRK can handle big planes. BLL/DMK is the same place, leaving HKT and CMX as alternate destinations. Palawan can handle smaller planes. The ferry system is far bettwer in PI than in LOS. And Filipinos are far more adaptable. I would say pollution and corruption are about equals. PI has far, far better beaches. Public transpo in PI is much better, although it wouldn't matter because Chinese would be taking charter busses. But I would dare anyone to compare public transportation in Cebu versus Phuket. 

Chinese group tourism, much like Korean group tourism before them, is not so much about repeat performance, but more about bragging their experience once back home. Thailand is willing to suffer the group tour in hopes of capturing the mature FIP later on. I am not anti-Thai by any means, but a VOA might just change the dynamic. There will be winners and losers, for sure.

How quickly this devolved into a PI v. LOS row. Chinese run on group tour. NAIA CEB and potentially CRK can handle big planes. BLL/DMK is the same place, leaving HKT and CMX as alternate destinations. Palawan can handle smaller planes. The ferry system is far bettwer in PI than in LOS. And Filipinos are far more adaptable. I would say pollution and corruption are about equals. PI has far, far better beaches. Public transpo in PI is much better, although it wouldn't matter because Chinese would be taking charter busses. But I would dare anyone to compare public transportation in Cebu versus Phuket. 

Chinese group tourism, much like Korean group tourism before them, is not so much about repeat performance, but more about bragging their experience once back home. Thailand is willing to suffer the group tour in hopes of capturing the mature FIP later on. I am not anti-Thai by any means, but a VOA might just change the dynamic. There will be winners and losers, for sure.

Agree with most of what your saying & whilst the airport cabbies in Manila are a bit shady, never had any problems with a Taxi in Cebu or Davao.

But the transfer between the terminals at NAIA is a nightmare, takes an hour & is something that you only need to do a couple of times before you plan your trips to avoid NAIA (although my last experience was transferring to a flight to Coron in Palawan & would grudgingly go through it again to go back there, wonderful place).

However, it wouldn't take much for them to get their act together & run some airside transfers between the terminals (gf did it on the way back from Coron as she only had 40 minutes to make her connection to Davao), would make a massive difference to the experience.

No arguments about the beaches or the waters (Chin deep in the sea off Cebu & you can see your toes)...

Plus the women there are much hotter (NB my MS #made# me say that but joking aside, I think they probably are more attractive to the Chinese than the Thai girls given their knowledge of English & the fact that they tend to be a little "Fuller", certainly most of the weddings I've been to involving a local Singaporean Chinese guy has been to a Filipina...)

On 2/16/2017 at 1:21 AM, hdkane said:

I truly hope this move impacts tourism here for the worse...it seems that  our dollars is all the Thai government cares about...sine the Chinese have been coming more often,  Thais treat white foreigners with a bit  LOT  of contempt...they do not realize that most of us make significant contributions to the economy...beyond beer and prostitutes...when they realize that ALL tourists/expats can take their money elsewhere, Thais might be more open the idea that they need to clean up their act...

Tourism in Thailand has been dwindling for years, and long may it continue. Until the Thai people start treating foreigners with a bit of respect instead of considering them to be nothing more than a 'walking wallet', then they only have themselves to blame. The Thai government makes it harder and harder to get a visa, and when you do eventually get a work-permit, you have to do a 'visa-run' every thirty seconds and stand in a line for 3 million hours just to be told that the papers you filed last time aren't good enough this time. The whole system is a complete joke. The Thai government deserves all it gets.