Yellow House Book (Tabian Baan)

I am sure this has been asked before, however would appreciate people's own experiences.

I am about to apply for the yellow book (Tabian Baan), however my wife tells me that the office that issues it in our area, requires my birth certificate stamped/sealed by the Australian Immigration office or the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, that is if it does actually stamp/seal it, then I must have it translated to Thai and then stamped/sealed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand, in Bangkok, among the other documents required.

Sounds like a lot of hassle, if that's the case, I will have to send it to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, after 1st confirming that they actually do it, and when it comes back, then have it translated into Thai and sent it back, this time to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand, in Bangkok to stamp/seal it before moving on, otherwise I will have it all done when in Sydney in May.

Appreciate your experiences. 

Edited by 4MyEgo

14 minutes ago, TerryLH said:

You do know, don't you, that there is no Thai Embassy in Bangkok?

I will rephrase that, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand, in Bangkok

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

The Amphoe is asking for more than is actually required. A birth certificate is not normally required.

Not sure why the would want the birth certificate legitimized. A translation of it and having the translation certified by the department of consular affairs of the MFA should all be that is needed.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The Amphoe is asking for more than is actually required. A birth certificate is not normally required.

Not sure why the would want the birth certificate legitimized. A translation of it and having the translation certified by the department of consular affairs of the MFA should all be that is needed.

Yes, I told my wife that I have a sealed copy of my passport, sealed original of our marriage certificate, one of our daughters original birth certificates which has a seal on it, i.e. it came like that, appears the Oz government is changing and applying the seal in the back automatically, obviously because it is a hell of a hassle for one to take it to Immigration, pay for it, and come back the following day to get it, and in particular, in Sydney, a real pain if you are 20 kilometres out, so you have to train it and walk for miles and you can forget about parking.

Wife says this particular office always gives her/us the run around with extra papers required, even the guy in the Thai Embassy in Sydney said that in 26 years he has never heard of this, that was for another matter.

So might see how we go with all of the other stuff, because one would assume, someone with half a brain could see a copy of a passport with the seal, original marriage certificate with seal, and original birth certificate of one of our daughter with the seal, would legitimise who I am, but I did say someone with half a brain.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Nothing is sure about the Yellow Tabien Baan. Every office that are supposed to hand them out, works with different rules. Probably heard about 6-8 different scenarios.

I second that! 

After two trips to Bangkok to get things translated and certified by the MFA I was accused of submitting documents with fake MFA stamps on them by the battleax that was handling my paperwork.  The village chief was with me and had a private conversation with the young guy in charge of the section.  He told me that the battleax was retiring in a couple of months and that I should come back and apply after that happened.  He basically said that the battleax hated farangs and also she was the aunt of the young guy in charge of the section and the sister of the big boss upstairs and they would loose face if they ignored her.

I never went back and really have not had any instance arise that I needed a yellow book!

• Like 2

+1 for every office working different. Here  they want a full translation of my contract when I bought this particular condo and a translation of my passport. I cannot be bothered as apart from negating the need for the occasional residency certificate there is nothing to gain from one anyway that I cannot do with a Thai Driving licence and a passport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wayned said:

I second that! 

After two trips to Bangkok to get things translated and certified by the MFA I was accused of submitting documents with fake MFA stamps on them by the battleax that was handling my paperwork.  The village chief was with me and had a private conversation with the young guy in charge of the section.  He told me that the battleax was retiring in a couple of months and that I should come back and apply after that happened.  He basically said that the battleax hated farangs and also she was the aunt of the young guy in charge of the section and the sister of the big boss upstairs and they would loose face if they ignored her.

I never went back and really have not had any instance arise that I needed a yellow book!

I would go back like a dog taking to a bone, just to stick it to em, but then again, that's just me 555

51 minutes ago, Orac said:

Locally translated copy of birth certificate was acceptable for mine - what they were actually after was translated names of my parents.

I might play the dumb falang and go in and try it, nothing to lose but time, which I have, and if they pass it, then the dumb falang is up one....if it fails, then will try again when back from Oz, but not without a series of questions being asked, i.e. so the original marriage certificate that has a seal on it, and the copy of the passport with the seal on it, and the original daughters birth certificate that has a seal on it, all confirming who I am, are not good enough, hmmm, I mustn't be me then ?

Life is full of challengers, next...........

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I might play the dumb falang and go in and try it, nothing to lose but time, which I have, and if they pass it, then the dumb falang is up one....if it fails, then will try again when back from Oz, but not without a series of questions being asked, i.e. so the original marriage certificate that has a seal on it, and the copy of the passport with the seal on it, and the original daughters birth certificate that has a seal on it, all confirming who I am, are not good enough, hmmm, I mustn't be me then ?

Life is full of challengers, next...........

As somebody already mentioned, it's not just about identification of who you are. The district office has to enter a lot of information about you in the yellow book, all in Thai, and they want to be sure they get it right, like your name and the names of your parents, which they can get from the Thai translation of your birth certificate. In my case, the district office took it from my Thai marriage records.

Make sure that the translations of these names are identical in all translated documents you have to submit. If you are married and have your marriage registered at a district office in Thailand, use  the Thai names in that record for all other document translations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

As somebody already mentioned, it's not just about identification of who you are. The district office has to enter a lot of information about you in the yellow book, all in Thai, and they want to be sure they get it right, like your name and the names of your parents, which they can get from the Thai translation of your birth certificate. In my case, the district office took it from my Thai marriage records.

Make sure that the translations of these names are identical in all translated documents you have to submit. If you are married and have your marriage registered at a district office in Thailand, use  the Thai names in that record for all other document translations.

Good advice, yes they have our records in the same office, will make sure everything is identical, and go down the path that most have suggested including yourself, i.e. Thai translation of birth certificate with parents names also translated for them, failing that, its plan "B" 555