B16m traffic cams unveiled as Phuket named in top 5 deadliest provinces

snoop1130

B16m traffic cams unveiled as Phuket named in top 5 deadliest provinces

Kritsada Mueanghawong

1_201721617528605_sZZelJTsxwMJczEuVldBWTmSMgxptSkmsKQdTkWR_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- Five new high-tech ‘red light cameras’ were launched this morning in response to Phuket gaining a spot in the top five provinces for road injuries and deaths in Thailand. 

“These camera can help catch those who are speeding, not wearing helmets or running red lights. The computer then automatically prints a penalty notice, which will be sent to the drivers’ residences,” said Phuket Governor Chokchai Dejarmornthan. 

“The main purposes of this is to change bad driving behavior in Phuket and scare people into obeying traffic laws. This is one of the policies to propel Phuket toward Smart City status as well. These will prove to be very helpful and save a lot of time for police officers,” he added.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/B16m-traffic-cams-unveiled-Phuket-named-top/66269?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-2-16

And what may I ask do the police need more time to do that will solve the problems that Puket has, and has displayed for all to see?  If this is the best plan the governor can come up with maybe he needs to call in someone who has solved a similar problem. Probably have to consider a person from outside Thailand as common sense does not seem as one of his nor those agreeing with him strong points.  Some people are completly hopeless when it comes to doing more than inspecting holes in donuts and the good gov appears to have consumed the bulk of the leftovers, and it looks like everyone is looking for the holes.

12 hours ago, slapout said:

Probably have to consider a person from outside Thailand

"No need for outside person. Thai people know everything".

By installing these cams the message for drivers is now quite clear. Do not break the traffic laws at these 5 junctions. Everywhere else; same, same before.

55 minutes ago, madmitch said:

According to Dr Wiwat's insights, there are three main factors leading to these fatal crashes: roads, vehicles and drivers

But not necessarily in that order!

The Good Doctor also goes on to say.

Police cannot be chasing down traffic offenders all the time - they have other jobs to do.

Just about every local business knows what those jobs are. And then there is the time consuming tedious business of keeping close watch on the personal handheld device to check for important messages from the missus.

38 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

The Good Doctor also goes on to say.

Police cannot be chasing down traffic offenders all the time - they have other jobs to do.

Quite right! The police have far more important things to do, like fleecing all the foreigners, making sure they get regular tea money, and watching their favorite soap program on TV!

I like it. Maybe it will spread to Pattaya. I think the highest number of red light runners

I have seen at a single light at a single time is 25. The cameras will be paid for in a day. :coffee1:

7 hours ago, madmitch said:

According to Dr Wiwat's insights, there are three main factors leading to these fatal crashes: roads, vehicles and drivers

But not necessarily in that order!

He forgot those rogue Electricity Poles that keep jumping in front of innocent, sober bike riders at 3AM in the morning.

45 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

" ...........a penalty notice, which will be sent to the drivers’ residences,” 

Good luck with that. If the camera records the Registration Plate of the vehicle then any notice would be sent to the vehicles owner's last registered address

Doesn't really matter.  Typically, the registration can't be renewed until penalties are paid.  Let the owner sort out getting reimbursed.

Phuket - In the top 5 of Deadliest Thai Provinces and the distinguished champion of most corrupt according to the Anti-Corruption orgnisation - WOW it must be a great place to invest your foreign money since if the roads don't get you the corruption has a very good chance of finishing you up.  Come on farang - come to Phuket - it's truly amazing.

Cameras to spot motorbike riders without helmet.  This morning passed an accident in Samkong. I don't know how it was caused but car with red plates in the middle of the road, motorbike laying on its side at the edge of the road. Behind the car was a Thai laid out in the road, he was moving so not a fatal accident. Not a helmet to be seen. While waiting to pass the accident one of Thailands finest arrives at the scene. I counted 14 motorbike riders without helmets pass the BIB rep. 

Unless theres a complete change of attitude things will never change. The crap that comes out of these officials mouths make DJ Trump sound like a beginner.

" ...........a penalty notice, which will be sent to the drivers’ residences,” 

Good luck with that. If the camera records the Registration Plate of the vehicle then any notice would be sent to the vehicles owner's last registered address

When the Tax and insurance is due
the fines have to be paid if not no tax and no insurance will be issued..ok quite a lot already dont have a licence, tax, insurance etc
the police have a "field day" with them at the numerous checkpoints it can soon get very tedious and expensive going to the police station to vehicle keys or license back.

17 hours ago, zorro1 said:

Geez bashers are imbeciles. It's a good move.. Just accept it and move on

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Oh yes, with better roads, more traffic education, traffic cameras everywhere and better understanding of how dangerous the mixture of alcohol and motor vehicles are the fatalities are as high as two decades ago.......what can it be

23 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Gonna be a lot of upset moto rental types when their customers run a red light and the bill arrives after they have returned home.

The rental shops either hold, or photocopy, the renter's passport, and record dates of rental.

Perhaps there may be a warrant waiting in the renter's name, at a Thai boarder, in the future. 

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

The rental shops either hold, or photocopy, the renter's passport, and record dates of rental.

Perhaps there may be a warrant waiting in the renter's name, at a Thai boarder, in the future. 

Or maybe have to leave your credit card details like rental agencies in the West :(

Will they actually do it? I bet no.

Today i looked at traffic lights for cameras. I found 1 light on my way from chalong to kathu.

I could see the camera for both directions.

In 2 minutes 100 motorbikes ran that red light.on my side of the road.

I was the only one to stay at the red light.  

If this is true they will be paid for in a week in fines.

If you travel from chalong to kathu there are 13 minutes of red light. You might get lucky and make  1but mostly not.

A 10 minute ride takes 25 minutes

15 minutes if you use the underpasses. Thats not during rush hour. Rush hour is from 7 am to 11 am. 2 pm to 8 pm. 

I bet there will be cameras in the tunnels next.