Sad News

mikeriza

Dear All

Please forgive me for being the bearer of bad news but I have been told the Steve Blumenthal of TQ2 has passed away today. I have also been told that there is a 'get together' tonight in TQ2 for all his friends to pay respects.

I checked back a few hours to see if this news is already posted and found nothing but I apologise if already in the forum.

From PH3 Web Site

Loss of a PH3 Hasher

It is with much sadness that we heard of the death of our fellow hasher and good friend Steve 'SPUNK BUBBLE' Blumenthal who died from a heart attack. He will be sadly missed and our thoughts are with his family at this time of sadness.

Steve had a total of 176 runs with the PH3

post-22250-1166100913_thumb.jpg

Very sad indeed, you could never wish to meet a nicer gentleman than Steve.

Mods could this be moved to Pattaya Forum as a lot of People in Pattaya knew Steve and I am sure would want to be kept informed.

One of the first guys I met in Pattaya, 6 years ago.

And as others have already said.... a REALLY nice bloke, and a lot more!

Best wishes to those connected.

Bang the gong, blow that horn, ring the bell and push down that plunger!

Another tray of shots please!

I didn't know him, but he sounds a nice guy,

RIP

WOW ! , he was a young and what seemed to be a healthy guy.

This is such sad news.

I just slammed a few with him last month as I passed through town. Quiet nights in the TQ2 were never quiet when Steve was in the house. It was I that suggested the name 'Spunk Bubble' to Airhead the day we named him on the hash all those years ago. I first met Steve at the bar at the old Jenny Hotel where we sparred over a new esaan stunner that Martin had hired on (some say she was the only stunner Martin ever did take on). She liked him because he 'phoot thai geng' whereas I had loads of 'purple fun tickets'. No contest and the best man won!

We will miss you Steve, all of us. Oh man will you be missed.

From another forum:

Yesterday at about noon Steve went to play squash at the Ambassador Hotel. His regular squash partner is a mutual friend named Don (no, not LDK) who has known Steve for longer than I have. They did this regularly, at least 3 times per week. They played a strenuous game, playing to 15 instead of the customary 10. They would play two games back-to-back, then stop for a water break, then play 3 more games back-to-back, all to 15.

They did their usual two games to start, Steve beating Don both games. They sat as usual to drink their water between games. They were just chatting normally when Steve abruptly keeled over.

Don is a certified CPR Instructor. Steve was his teacher. Don immediately started CPR. There was a nurse on duty and she called for an ambulance then took spells of CPR from Don.

At one point, Steve actually started breathing, regained consciousness, and sat up for a second. Then he keeled over again and they resumed CPR.

The ambulance never came. After waiting 10 minutes or so they loaded Steve into the hotel courtesy van and took him to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. Because they were in a hotel courtesy van nobody pulled over to let them by, and they had no medical equipment except Don's arms and mouth and his exceptional bravery. He continued doing CPR on Steve for the entire 40 minutes it took them to get to the hospital. By the time they got there, it was too late, and the doctor could do nothing but to pronounce my Baby Brother dead.

From another forum:

Yesterday at about noon Steve went to play squash at the Ambassador Hotel. His regular squash partner is a mutual friend named Don (no, not LDK) who has known Steve for longer than I have. They did this regularly, at least 3 times per week. They played a strenuous game, playing to 15 instead of the customary 10. They would play two games back-to-back, then stop for a water break, then play 3 more games back-to-back, all to 15.

They did their usual two games to start, Steve beating Don both games. They sat as usual to drink their water between games. They were just chatting normally when Steve abruptly keeled over.

Don is a certified CPR Instructor. Steve was his teacher. Don immediately started CPR. There was a nurse on duty and she called for an ambulance then took spells of CPR from Don.

At one point, Steve actually started breathing, regained consciousness, and sat up for a second. Then he keeled over again and they resumed CPR.

The ambulance never came. After waiting 10 minutes or so they loaded Steve into the hotel courtesy van and took him to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. Because they were in a hotel courtesy van nobody pulled over to let them by, and they had no medical equipment except Don's arms and mouth and his exceptional bravery. He continued doing CPR on Steve for the entire 40 minutes it took them to get to the hospital. By the time they got there, it was too late, and the doctor could do nothing but to pronounce my Baby Brother dead.

So now we know the facts. What a really a sad story, but from what I have seen cars seldom pull over for ambulances here anyway.

If he was playing at the Ambassader Hotel the nearest hospital is at Wat Yaan right opposite the lakes as you drive in. Maybe ten or 15 minutes from the hotel. Unfortuantly not many people even know it is there.

Edited by Rimmer

While Bangkok Pattaya hospital does have some issues, well documented on this forum, they also do have a very well equipped and staffed ambulance service.

Their ambulance is a mobile trauma center with all the latest equipment on board and a trauma doctor present...

038 259 911

am.gif

It is with great sadness that I here of this news from Thailand, I have known Steve for over 10 years, not as the owner of a bar but as the inspiration behind one of the most successful businesses in Pattaya namely Mermaids Diving.

My impression of Steve was a person who worked hard and played hard, seeing Mermaids under his stewardship grow & grow while many others came and went.

It is hard to think of Pattaya without Steve and I know there will be many who will miss him.

BB

yeah sad news,I did my instructer course at mermaids 2001 to 2003.Got to know steve reasonbly well in that time.He helped me out on few things over that period which enabled me to acheive my instructer rateing.Had many good times in TQ2 as well,good memorys.

Condolences to family and friends

I also knew Steve as manager of the most successful diving operation of Pattaya if not all of Thailand. An absolutely nice guy and I was shocked learning of his untimely passing as everybody else who had the pleasure to know him.

Learning more about the circumstances my blood pressure rises as I ask myself how many more lives could be saved if a functioning emergency service could be established!

RIP Steve, you were a great guy!