Pastrami on Rye

Spaniel

I was in Pattaya/Jomtien the past week  and when driving past P on R it looked like they had closed  so I parked and took a closer look.    Sure enough all the furniture and kitchen equipment had been removed.    No signs posted  as to what happened (moved etc) .     Anyone  have any detail;s?      

Went to the link and downloaded the Food Panda App.  Unfortunately it appears that there Pastrami and Corned Beef Sandwiches  have been discontinued. 

Hard to Believe but a big setback for certain. Was planning on picking up there signature sandwich this weekend but guess not!

It looks like PoR is officially done here in Pattaya. They had a posting in FB today stating that their brand has been sold and will be reopened to an outfit in BKK. They also stated that there American Pizza Factory brand is currently for sale as well.

Edited by jwdub

One of the many examples of greedy landlords......PoR probably started with a low rent due to the state of the building; spent millions in upgrading and operations and after 3 years of being successful the landlord decides to increase the rent or the keymoney to an exorbitant height due to the perfect state of the building!!

7 hours ago, jwdub said:

It looks like PoR is officially done here in Pattaya. They had a posting in FB today stating that their brand has been sold and will be reopened to an outfit in BKK. They also stated that there American Pizza Factory brand is currently for sale as well.

Great news for those of us in Bangkok. I always wondered why Pattaya had something like that yet Bangkok didn't. I ate there every time I went to Jomtien and was the only person in there. So was wondering how long they would last. Hopefully they will do better up here where there is a bit more of an affluent crowd that doesn't gripe about 280 Baht for a sandwich.

9 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

doesn't gripe about 280 Baht for a sandwich

at present exchange rates thats 6 pounds 20 pence  or 8 Yankee Dollars  for a sandwich

they use the best ingredients ? or the rent on the shop was too high or location not good ?

maybe the price was too high ?

Just now, johng said:

at present exchange rates thats 6 pounds 20 pence  or 8 Yankee Dollars  for a sandwich

they use the best ingredients ? or the rent on the shop was too high or location not good ?

maybe the price was too high ?

Probably the wrong area would be my guess. Such a place would have a much better chance in a place like Thong Lor or Silom or somewhere like that. But your post is a good indication of why it failed. That's a lot of questions for a 6 pound sandwich.

Just now, johng said:

We should also remember that 280 baht is almost  the daily minimum wage in Thailand   so more like a 50 UK pound sterling sandwich.

It really isn't much more than subway. It wasn't aimed at Thais. To get a more fair comparison you would have to use a power purchasing parity that involves guys on 60,000 Baht a month pensions. 

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

Great news for those of us in Bangkok. I always wondered why Pattaya had something like that yet Bangkok didn't. I ate there every time I went to Jomtien and was the only person in there. So was wondering how long they would last. Hopefully they will do better up here where there is a bit more of an affluent crowd that doesn't gripe about 280 Baht for a sandwich.

NB. The brand has been sold, so you may not get what you had in Jomtien and the pricing may be different (as in more expensive).

I recently watched the film The Founder, a supposedly true story about a businessman franchising a brand and using ruthlessness and cunning to transform said brand so it ended up bearing little resemblance to the original other than sharing the name: McDonalds.

12 minutes ago, champers said:

NB. The brand has been sold, so you may not get what you had in Jomtien and the pricing may be different (as in more expensive).

I recently watched the film The Founder, a supposedly true story about a businessman franchising a brand and using ruthlessness and cunning to transform said brand so it ended up bearing little resemblance to the original other than sharing the name: McDonalds.

Well let's give it a chance. Being that Bangkok doesn't have a POR already it beats nothing. The brand would after all be pretty meaningless unless a person was setting out to sell sandwiches involving pastrami and rye.

Edited by anotheruser

9 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

I for one will miss their burgers.  Oh well, there's always Jim's Burgers and Beer, or Eddie's bringing out a new burger at RMPM this Saturday.

IMG_0923.JPG

Ed told me awhile ago that he purchased equipment to ground his own meat. As a chef of North American staple foods I would put him against anyone else in Thailand so expect a great burger. 

Too bad about P.o.R. but I know that the father and son dual have had trouble in the past with other ventures. Their prices may have seemed high to the rest of us but Americans were their customer base and the greenback has increased in strength. Best of luck to them in their next endeavor.

22 hours ago, jwdub said:

I looked at their facebook page today and cannot find any such message.   I did go there yesterday and it is most definitely closed.

5 hours ago, pegman said:

Ed told me awhile ago that he purchased equipment to ground his own meat. As a chef of North American staple foods I would put him against anyone else in Thailand so expect a great burger. 

Too bad about P.o.R. but I know that the father and son dual have had trouble in the past with other ventures. Their prices may have seemed high to the rest of us but Americans were their customer base and the greenback has increased in strength. Best of luck to them in their next endeavor.

I got this off his fb page, it should read Saturday as on Friday Jomtien's cutting power for electrical upgrades.  Thanks for sharing, definitely looking forward to the burger.

The ULTIMATE HAMBURGER BUN. Debuting Friday lunch. Wagyu & Thai French Beef freshly minced, in house, with Cheddar Cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, carmelized onion and special sauce

IMG_1442.JPG

Was not crazy about the pastrami (I grew up in NY. Like the cheaper style more).

But the staff at por was well trained, and I thought the bagels were good. Especially for here In Thailand. I give them credit for trying.

Hate to see places like this fail. Tried to order from wok n rock (western Chinese) here in jomtien last night, only to see they also folded.

Anyone know of an alternative bagel in jomtien?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

57 minutes ago, kbb said:

Tried to order from wok n rock (western Chinese) here in jomtien last night, only to see they also folded.

Ouy, the Cook/Owner of Wok N Rok had a nasty motorbike accident, hence why service stopped.

I am under the impression she is on the mend, but no idea when she will start cooking again.

On 2/22/2017 at 6:45 AM, Roger Lee said:

I got this off his fb page, it should read Saturday as on Friday Jomtien's cutting power for electrical upgrades.

WHAT?  No power on Friday in Jomtien???  Where exactly, and how long?  Where did you hear/read this?

2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

WHAT?  No power on Friday in Jomtien???  Where exactly, and how long?  Where did you hear/read this?

No idea how long.  First heard about it from Ed at RMPM then the condo emailed and put up notices.  Now I'm hearing it from several businesses.

ไฟฟ้าดบั  วัน ศุ ก ร์ท่ี 24 กุ ม ภ า พัน ธ์ 2 5 6 0 ก า ร ไ ฟ ฟ้ า จะง ด จ่ า ย ก ร ะ แ ส ไ ฟ ฟ้ า บริเวณถนนเลียบชายหาดจอมเทียน ตั้งแต่เวลา 08.00 - 17.00 น. เพื่อปรับปรุงระบบสายไฟแรงสูง จงึไม่สามารถจ่ายกระแสไฟฟ้าให้กับผู้ใช้บริการในพื้นที่บริ เวณดงักลา่ว 

Power outage 

No power in Jomtien area  on Friday  24, February 2017  from 08.00 – 17.00 hour. The Power Authority is going to upgrade their electricity distribution line. 
               Management.                                                                                                                                              Feb 20, 2017. 

-1-D- No Power 24 02 60.pdf

Edited by Roger Lee