Russian arrested, may face prison term for feeding fish

webfact

Russian arrested, may face prison term for feeding fish

Phuket Gazette

pkt1.jpeg         

Ms Smirnova was charged with feeding fish in a forbidden area or in an area with coral reef. Photo: DMCR

KOH RACHA: A Russian tourist was arrested, with bail set at 100,000 baht, for feeding fish in Koh Racha yesterday afternoon. 

“The incident occurred at Plab Pla beach on Koh Racha Yai. During a regular patrol, officers found Olga Smirnova, 53, feeding bread to the fish,” said Suchat Rattanaruengsri, Region 6 head of the Marine and Coastal Resources Conservation Division. 

Ms Smirnova was taken to Chalong Police Station and charged with feeding fish in a forbidden area or in an area with coral reef, the maximum punishment for which is a year in prison, a 100,000-baht fine, or both.

“As we have said, we are taking a very strict stance on this. She has to pay the bail and remain in Thailand until her case is processed by a court,” said Mr Suchat. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Russian-arrested-may-face-prison-term-feeding/66283?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-02-20

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

“As we have said, we are taking a very strict stance on this.

If the same was applied to traffic violations, violence, drug and people trafficking, and numerous other serious offences, a lot of problems would be solved. But <deleted> me, feeding fish !

Been there a few years ago. I never heard that it was illegal to feed the fishes? The boat crew threw food themselves in the water to lure fish around the snorkeling tourists.

But nice of the Thai officials to obviously blame bread fish feeding tourist for Thailand being the third on the list of world ocean polluter. 

A warning is all that should be required, and this warning should go to the tour operators, the people that supply the bread and fruit that tourists feed to the fish. To detain and fine a single tourist for indulging in a practice that is common on many boat tours is just wrong and in many ways pathetic.

Agree, this should be all over social media. I have tweeted the story to my meagre number of followers.

1_2017220105711191_uhgOLINbPiYNFtiZkBxdp

And these photos were taken by the DMCR too.

She's going to go back home to Russia and warn all her friends never to feed fish in Thailand.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Olga Smirnova, 53, feeding bread to the fish,”

3 hours ago, webfact said:

KOH RACHA: A Russian tourist was arrested, with bail set at 100,000 baht, for feeding fish in Koh Racha yesterday afternoon. 

Did the BIB say that the bail money covers the fine your free to go home and tell all your friends. Sounds like another law from the bridge players raid cops archiac play book. 

2 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Should have just killed half a dozen people while driving unlicensed, given a few hours community service and then complained about the punishment.

But he just had to push the limits and feed the fish!

Olga now sleeps with the fish.

What? WOW

Last time i went snorkeling in Similan island ppl were hand feeding fishes We were passing the bread around.

There would be no way of me knowing its illegal no one said anything.

Thats looks like set up tho.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk