Food truck, restaurant on wheels, restaurant on trailer, how would you do it ? Have you seen something different ?

abab

Hello,

I am trying to help someone to sell some food in a truck, or restaurant on a trailer that can be moved if needed (for example to never be a victim of the land owner who increases the rental fee when your business is good).

Have you seen something different somewhere in the world or in Thailand that could be easy to setup, or something especially interesting ?

A container is good but expensive to move I guess, as we need a special truck ?

What about one of these small wooden houses, could we put them on a trailer to move them easily ? They are called knockdown houses ?

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=knockdown+house+thailand&safe=off&tbm=isch

http://tinyhousethailand.weebly.com/econo-line.html

http://thailannahome.com/prices.html

http://www.ihome1982.net/product/56800/บ้านช่อมาลี

http://www.thaweephan-prefab.com/#/collection/baan_funktion/ahus

Please tell me which idea you can think about ?

Thank you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 55Jay said:

^ That's what I thought of.  Instead of the American version on crowded, small roads, lack of parking, not to mention the bird's nest of electrical wires above.

tasty-buns.jpg

Too expensive for Thailand, but thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, abab said:

I have seen a couple of these - burger truck in a Bangkok apartment car park, i don't know he made money, 3 staff, solely burgers - no fries. No tables, couldn't cook the burger to save their lives.

This ones in our town, more like a UK burger caravan, it's static, but he moves it for special events, fairs, etc -pasta and burgers - the components i.e meat, salad and buns are good too but he misses so many business opportunities - doesn't combined sets, doesnt sell coke or sprite.

surprising these places do work here despite the investment - I hope you do well.

IMG_4525.JPG

There are several very popular and very big Food Trucks and Food Trailers operating in Bangkok.

Here are pictures of Pizza Massilia, a Truck with a proper wood burning pizza oven.  

I will try to find pictures of the trailers as they are even more impressive.

pizza-massilia-truck-4.jpg

pizza-massilia-truck-3.jpg

13 hours ago, abab said:

What's your budget?

Knockdown house on wheels, can't be done IMO trailers are pretty rare here and have to be certified.

If knockdown house lift & shift? utilities? Hardstanding?

Location and footfall?

Target market Thai or tourists?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, grollies said:

What's your budget?

Knockdown house on wheels, can't be done IMO trailers are pretty rare here and have to be certified.

If knockdown house lift & shift? utilities? Hardstanding?

Location and footfall?

Target market Thai or tourists?

Trailers are not rare (see my posts above).    In Bangkok I've seen a couple of really big ones, easily over a million baht each just for the trailer.  

Unfortunately I can't locate photos of them.   But they are bigger than the largest ones you can see in the picture I posted from Airplane Park in Korat.

8 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Trailers are not rare (see my posts above).    In Bangkok I've seen a couple of really big ones, easily over a million baht each just for the trailer.  

Unfortunately I can't locate photos of them.   But they are bigger than the largest ones you can see in the picture I posted from Airplane Park in Korat.

Agreed, food trailers. OP was (I think) talking about using a plant trailer to move a shipping container or knockdown house. There are trailers round here, we looked for a small one for transporting kee yang but they were expensive and not well built.

Converted van or caravan-type trailer like your pictures is the way to go.

Picture below is a converted hilux for export to Europe. THB3million. Not suggesting this is any good for a food truck.

IMG20170117143334.jpg

Edited by grollies

18 minutes ago, grollies said:

Agreed, food trailers. OP was (I think) talking about using a plant trailer to move a shipping container or knockdown house. There are trailers round here, we looked for a small one for transporting kee yang but they were expensive and not well built.

Converted van or caravan-type trailer like your pictures is the way to go.

Picture below is a converted hilux for export to Europe. THB3million. Not suggesting this is any good for a food truck.

IMG20170117143334.jpg

Way too expensive and a permanent engine to move is not needed.

I am thinking about something that will cost less than 1 million.

16 minutes ago, eiszele2005 said:

For trailer mounted ideas check out SV trailers they are also in Korat and look to build anything on wheels and organise for registration/plates. 

Thank you, interesting.

32 minutes ago, maddox41 said:

I'm in the process of doing a movable  restaurant and bar 

It 2 shipping container's  plus a mobile toilet free standing deck and  movable gazebo 

The issue  here is your budget  and he hardest thing is finding land in bkk to put it  on ??

If your budget is around  200 000 b it's a food truck ( second hand is  an option  ) 

Try bhat and sold  !!! 

I have food trucks and a few mobile food  trailers on there 

Good  luck☺

How much for 2 movable containers ?

• Like 1

In my previous life in th UK, we would go to boot fairs,open air farmers markets, etc.There were the usual burger/hot dog/bacon sandwich vans.

But i thought the real winner was,especially in the colder months,the baked potato machine.It was shaped like a steam train,but a smaller version.It would bake big pots and there were all sorts of fillings, coleslaw,baked beans,cheese,even curry.I have never seen anything like that here.I suppose the potato is not The normal 'staff of life for Thais.My wife loves them, done in the microwave.Of course, the best bit was the skin.I would love to see one here, i really miss a proper jacket potato.I know they can be served up in some of the restaurants, but they aren't quite the same.

• Like 1

I worked on an industrial / commercial estate in the UK and twice a day the coffee van rolled up. He sold fresh brewed coffee, obviously, but also sandwiches and soft drinks from a chiller, pies, pasties and sausage rolls from a heated compartment. Also had cakes, snacks and biccies. Had a small gazebo built in to keep off the wind and rain. Big prices but big queues all the same.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, geisha said:

Around 3 weeks ago there was a Harley D meeting in front of Central Festival beach rd Pattaya. There were lors of food trucks parked opposite, quite nice looking trailer types.

They were there for Pattaya Art Festival. 2 of them were fish and chip vans. I think they all came from BKK for the weekend.

• 1 month later...

Look at Google Images for Japanese food trucks , lots of ideas there , plus closer to the size you could use in BKK

Is this going to be an everyday thing or just weekends and special events ?

are you going to need electric power and if so how do you plan on getting it  ?

If I was going to do something like this I would make my "store" so I can change what I am selling and try new things out ,

Change the signs and sell Bratwurst one week  and Tacos the next week etc

But you would need a younger crowd that  would try new foods....

• Like 1