On-line shopping with a Bangkok Bank debit card with UnionPay

2 hours ago, hargri said:

Not sure about an air Asia online purchase but I have been unable to use my unionpay card in a number of shops. Coincidentally I'm just on my way toy Bangkok Bank to ask for an alternative, preferably in the visa system.

I refused the unionpay card and demanded a visa, and was given it.

I suggest you read my topic about Bangkok Bank debit Cards. In essence Bangkok Bank no longer issue Visa cards (except for the rabbit visa cards in Bangkok only) and the Union Pay cards are absolutely useless as they cannot be used anywhere apart from some ATM machines. Apparently Union Pay have bought a big share holding in Bangkok Bank to 'push' their card but NO retailers have taken it up so you will find it useless. After 12 Years because of this I changed to Kasikorn Bank - easy account opening and visa card issued immediately with lots of smiles when I explained why. None of the airlines as of one week ago are accepting Union Pay and even the Bangkok Bank staff admit it is useless. One way of saving your money as least you can't spend it!!

Read my post - It's long but very informative:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/959827-bangkok-bank-debit-cards-update/

Cheers for that Singhaman, I'll have a look. I'll probably try SCB first. They've said that just want passport plus proof of address. The missus opened an account not long ago and got a visa card. There's a branch just down the road as well. Any problems and I'll head to Kasikorn. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Just so you are aware I tried SCB first. Basically banks tend to have their own rules within the branch and weren't interested unless I had a work permit, a salary and confirmation of one year's continous employment. Kasikorn very straightforward, passport, proof of address (from immigration which should be free) and some cash to open the account. Good luck....... 

2 hours ago, Singhaman said:

I suggest you read my topic about Bangkok Bank debit Cards. In essence Bangkok Bank no longer issue Visa cards (except for the rabbit visa cards in Bangkok only) and the Union Pay cards are absolutely useless as they cannot be used anywhere apart from some ATM machines. Apparently Union Pay have bought a big share holding in Bangkok Bank to 'push' their card but NO retailers have taken it up so you will find it useless. After 12 Years because of this I changed to Kasikorn Bank - easy account opening and visa card issued immediately with lots of smiles when I explained why. None of the airlines as of one week ago are accepting Union Pay and even the Bangkok Bank staff admit it is useless. One way of saving your money as least you can't spend it!!

As shown in the posts in above thread you can still get the Visa Rabbit card (a.k.a., a Visa card than can also be used to pay for rides on Bangkok rapid transit).

You can still get the Visa Rabbit card at branches outside of Bangkok but you will probably need to "insist" on a Visa card and possibly wait one week to get as the branch may not have it in stock....must order the card.   The wife and I got our Visa cards in Dec 16...got them immediately with no resistance at my Bangkok Bank branch....and in above thread other folks have got them over the last few weeks at branches inside and outside of Bangkok.

As mentioned all Bangkok Bank branches, in and outside of Bangkok, seem to be "pushing" the TPN-UnionPay card...pushing it hard.  So, plan to insist on getting the Visa card...and it may take them a week to get the card for you.

Edited by Pib

As my earlier post and reference PIB's comment (thanks PIB, you are correct)I agree with you) NO airlines in Thailand currently accept Union Pay (Credit or Debit cards) apart from maybe Air China (I haven't checked them but would you want to fly with them anyway??) As one retailer recently told me they (Union Pay) are trying to make inroads into Visa/Mastercard but the retailers here (Thailand) don't want to go through the cost / hassle of upgrading their systems.  Incidentally it is only Union Pay CREDIT cards accepted rarely here and in Europe, debit cards are 'Not welcome' - see my original post. I think Bangkok Bank have made a BIG mistake as more and more people are cancelling their UP debit cards and in some case closing their accounts. There are numerous posts on this.

Go back and ask for Visa card. They will try to fob you off with either  we don't have any or you have to buy insurance. Stand your ground and in the end ask them to ring head office and get an English speaking official for you to speak with. That usually does the trick they suddenly find one a visa card that is. 

Hi Singhaman. Just to update. I visited the branch of SCB yesterday. They took all the copies they would need but said that they would have to get authority to open an account. I'm expecting a phone call today. I don't know whether my partner having an account with them will make any difference. She was with me and doing a lot of the talking. If successful at least there will be no more transfer fees when I send her money. If unsuccessful I'll be off to Kasikorn!

Edit: SCB did confirm it would be a visa debit card.

Edited by hargri

Hi Hargri, Yes my experience was that SCB at branch level are not sure of the rules and as is often the case in Thailand if the local staff are unsure or 'don't know' then they will fob you off. I showed them all the necessary documents they required, they took copies and said come back tomorrow. I walked across the plaza (taking the originals and photocopies with me) to Kasikorn and half an hour later account opened and visa card in hand (and some of the documents not required). In summary I think the banks in Thailand are not keeping up with the modern world, Bangkok Bank going backwards with their Union Pay card, Other banks lack of staff training and their own rules in the branches. Anyway good luck with Kasikorn. Maybe I'm wrong but don't hold your breath for the phone call from SCB. Let me know how you get on.    

If you have online (not Mobile) banking you can pay for tickets with air Asia. When you checkout they generate a bill which gets sent to your bank account, you then log in and pay it. Takes two minutes or less.

Did it myself and works a peach!

Hi Singhaman​. I did get phone call from SCB. I have just obtained a non-immigration 'O' visa and due to fairly new rules I cannot get the one year extension until around the last 30 days of the 90 given. SCB said they would need either that or my income document (pension) translated into Thai. My partner spoke to them while I was out plus she's speaking to someone who has to defer to an absent decision maker. That seems to be the main problem. If I could just point out to that person that the non immigration visa wouldn't have been granted without proof of income and show them a copy of the Embassy letter stamped by their govt. Dept of Consular Affairs I'm fairly sure we'd get it done. They do love their hierarchy here no matter how inefficient it renders the process! I may wait for the extension but I'm a fairly regular visitor to Big C at Pattaya Klang so I sense a visit to the big Kasikorn branch there is in the offing.

46 minutes ago, hargri said:

Hi Singhaman. I did get phone call from SCB. I have just obtained a non-immigration 'O' visa and due to fairly new rules I cannot get the one year extension until around the last 30 days of the 90 given. SCB said they would need either that or my income document (pension) translated into Thai. My partner spoke to them while I was out plus she's speaking to someone who has to defer to an absent decision maker. That seems to be the main problem. If I could just point out to that person that the non immigration visa wouldn't have been granted without proof of income and show them a copy of the Embassy letter stamped by their govt. Dept of Consular Affairs I'm fairly sure we'd get it done. They do love their hierarchy here no matter how inefficient it renders the process! I may wait for the extension but I'm a fairly regular visitor to Big C at Pattaya Klang so I sense a visit to the big Kasikorn branch there is in the offing.

hargri,

No truer words said than the two text areas I bolded in your quote above.  Definitely on-target.

Absent decision maker, wonder if that's an excuse. Wonder how they make decisons if an immediate one is required. For Kasikorn I took my passport, Address confirmation from Immigration (Issued free of charge), copy of the opening requirements printed from their website and 10K Baht in cash. Other accounts may require a smaller deposit, Mine is a Current Savings Account. They faxed the passport and current visa over to HO to check it is all valid and within minutes the fax came back signed and approved. Photocopies of Passport, Current Visa, Address Confirmation Lettter taken and then signed by me. Account opened, Visa card issued and the 10k deposited in my account. Simple. Good luck!

Again just been into KK branch of BKK in teaching lotus. Wife (thai lost or misplaced her visa debit card. They tried to fob her off with Union pay card. Intervened on her behalf and told them it was not happening. She wanted a Visa card or we would close both her and my account down immediately after I got of the phone to head office in BKK. Funny enough we left 5 minutes later with a visa debit card 100bht normal fee.

On 21/02/2017 at 7:24 PM, Singhaman said:

Mostly correct but they have and do still issue visa debit cards just got one stick to your guns.

• 2 months later...