Speeding British rider kills Phuket local

webfact

Speeding British rider kills Phuket local

Phuket Gazette 

pkt2.jpeg       

The big bike split into two. Photo: Winai Sarot

PHUKET: A Thai man was killed after a British national riding a big bike crashed into him in Thalang yesterday evening.

Chawalit Sritha, 69, was riding a Honda Wave, and collided with 32-year-old Adam Howard’s Yamaha big bike.

“Mr Chawalit was critically injured and taken to Thalang Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead. Mr Howard was treated for minor injuries,” said Capt Kraisorn Boonprasob of Thalang Police.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Speeding-British-rider-kills-Phuket-local/66289?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-02-21

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

I hope that they lock up the farang for a very long time please. I simply despise foreigners who ride bikes in thailand. Its already bad enough with the thai bike riders but these foreigners are like on a suicide mission. And worst when they kill others.

Was the Thai bloke reckless in his maneuver..?

20 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

I hope that they lock up the farang for a very long time please. I simply despise foreigners who ride bikes in thailand. Its already bad enough with the thai bike riders but these foreigners are like on a suicide mission. And worst when they kill others.

You can add me to your despise,ignore list then.

How many other posters on here do you think ride bikes.

1 minute ago, Pomthai said:

Sounds more likely the Thai pulled outta the Soi in front of the Brit guy when you read the whole article - and speeding Britt is just yet another assumption and click bait headline.

I read:

had almost crossed the road

and

Yamaha broken into two pieces

Does sound different to me.

The speed fans will argue the usual way: he should have looked further before passing the road.

36 minutes ago, Hedghog said:

You can add me to your despise,ignore list then.

How many other posters on here do you think ride bikes.

Me too, I've been riding bikes all my life and why should I stop. 

If the guy means tourists with no license and/or experience I agree. 

Don't tar us all with the same brush. 

1 hour ago, Canceraid said:

What a ridiculous comment..... Well several comments !!

How do you know exactly what happened ??? Plus why would you "despise" someone for riding a bike :)

Brit had minor injuries, which kind of suggests he was properly dressed for riding a bike, the Thai guy on the other hand........

2 hours ago, Pomthai said:

Sounds more likely the Thai pulled outta the Soi in front of the Brit guy when you read the whole article - and speeding Britt is just yet another assumption and click bait headline.

"...and speeding Britt is just yet another assumption and click bait headline."

...only if you ignore the witnesses reports about what actually happened.

Who is "speeding Britt", anyway, and what's she got to do with this?

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Brit had minor injuries, which kind of suggests he was properly dressed for riding a bike, the Thai guy on the other hand........

Not necessarily, it just as likely suggests that he was luckier than the Thai.

3 hours ago, Pomthai said:

I agree- I never see guys on big bikes hammering up and down at high speed- they ALWAYS pootle along at 50kph don't they.

Oh hang on- I just had a reality check. There are a number of guys blasting around on big bikes near me currently that are just asking for a crash. Fortunately they may only injure themselves with a bit of luck- in this case, whatever the actual events, someone died.

I would suggest that given the state of the Yamaha speed WAS a factor.

2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Not necessarily, it just as likely suggests that he was luckier than the Thai.

You have obviously never ridden a bike !!!

Look at the pics of the bike my friend... Unless the Brit guy was fully kitted, luck would not have saved him from serious injury.

Just goes to reiterate how ridiculous your original comment was :)

Witnesses mean Thai locals who will always blame the farang and the state of the bike does not mean he was speeding.

If the Thai chap pulled out of the Soi without looking (common manoeuvre) and the Brit slammed on the brakes, pulled the bars left or right to avoid a collision and with the tendency to pull the front brake first this results in a tank slapper, and would throw him clear but the bike would smash into the other bike, cart wheeling and generally breaking apart. You do not have to be going that fast for this to happen.

Again, the Brit was probably inexperienced and just wanted to ride a bigger bike. An experienced rider would have been aware of potential hazards and know how to avoid them.

Also, I doubt that the bike had ABS

Witnesses mean Thai locals who will always blame the farang and the state of the bike does not mean he was speeding.

If the Thai chap pulled out of the Soi without looking (common manoeuvre) and the Brit slammed on the brakes, pulled the bars left or right to avoid a collision and with the tendency to pull the front brake first this results in a tank slapper, and would throw him clear but the bike would smash into the other bike, cart wheeling and generally breaking apart. You do not have to be going that fast for this to happen.

Again, the Brit was probably inexperienced and just wanted to ride a bigger bike. An experienced rider would have been aware of potential hazards and know how to avoid them.

Also, I doubt that the bike had ABS

Why would the bike not have abs, pretty standard here for these types of bikes.
And no, witnesses do not automatically blame the farang.
And no, I think your explanation is total nonsense.

sent using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Canceraid said:

You despise? What sort of a <deleted> are you? 

16 hours ago, Canceraid said:

So how do you get around?  I have both a car and and bike, but it's impossible to park a car in most areas as there is no places to park.  Therefore, the bike is used for short trips?  I guess you are one of the dickheads who parks your car in the middle of the road blocking traffic?  I despise those <deleted> more than the bike riders.

I've been pootling around on my agricultural Honda Wave for years now.

It's never once occurred to me that I was acting like a despicable foreigner on a suicide mission.

We all live and learn reading TV.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why would the bike not have abs, pretty standard here for these types of bikes.
And no, witnesses do not automatically blame the farang.
And no, I think your explanation is total nonsense.

sent using Tapatalk

True, not all Thai witnesses automatically blame the Farang. But in the majority of cases they do, even when the Farang is obviously the innocent party.

Edited by nontabury

Witnesses say the big bike was travelling at high speed and the extensive damage to the unfortunate Thai man's bike would tend to support this. Of course, we can all recount incidences when locals have come out of side streets in front of us without looking and this man may have contributed to his own demise..

I've noticed many times on this forum that when it's a Brit who stuffs up, the apologists come out in numbers to place the blame on the Thai party. The same people who loudly condemn an Australian or American in the same situation.

". Of course, we can all recount incidences when locals have come out of side streets in front of us without looking"

I would be very hard pressed to recall a time when a Thai has looked right when making a left turn at an intersection. They expect the other traffic to move over for them. I have Been riding here for 16 years

19 hours ago, Canceraid said:

I wish people wouldn't make such sweeping generalisations.

What about all the foreigners who are very careful riders and never cause accidents?

We all know that there are stupid tourists that come here and rent big bikes, then crash them because they have no proper riding experience.   

But to say you despise *all* foreigners who ride bikes in Thailand is just daft.   

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

True, not all Thai witnesses automatically blame the Farang. But in the majority of cases they do, even when the Farang is obviously the innocent party.

Sorry, not my experience and observation.

20 hours ago, Canceraid said:

It seems to be normal for Brits that never have ridden a large bike before or even  any motor bike to come here and rent the largest bike they can straddle.Then see how fast the bike will go.This is one Brit that will be paying through the nose either by a VERY LARGE sum of money or some serious prison time learning how to enjoy the local rice soup and sleeping on a piece of cardboard at night. 

42 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

It seems to be normal for Brits that never have ridden a large bike before or even  any motor bike to come here and rent the largest bike they can straddle.Then see how fast the bike will go.This is one Brit that will be paying through the nose either by a VERY LARGE sum of money or some serious prison time learning how to enjoy the local rice soup and sleeping on a piece of cardboard at night. 

Why single out Brits- there are many foreigners doing this.

21 hours ago, Canceraid said:

????? lets hear his side of the story. From what I read here he was riding a BIG bike and the other bike was a Honda Wave. Surprised they did not give the CC's. I wish people would quit jumping to conclusions till the accident is thoroughly explored. That phrase despising foreigners who ride bikes here is really over the top. For the sake of disclosure I have no bike or ax to grind on this one.