New labels and tax take on Thailand's junk food problem

webfact

New labels and tax take on Thailand's junk food problem

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

HEDFINAL.gif

BANGKOK — Since early this year, a person with leafy arms has begun appearing on food packaging to signify the difference between shameful midnight snacks and healthier fare.

With the obesity rate now at nearly one-in-three adults, public health policy is taking a two-prong approach to the sugary drinks and salty snacks seen as the problem: Label acceptable products and tax those that aren’t.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/food/2017/02/21/new-labels-tax-take-thailands-junk-food-problem/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-02-21

Surely one in three is over egging it a bit. I work in an office with 1,000 people and don't think there is one obese person. In the complex there are probably 30,000 people and you see the odd podger knocking around but definitely not a lot.

They are definitely getting bigger, but one in three seems a bit OTT.

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Surely one in three is over egging it a bit. I work in an office with 1,000 people and don't think there is one obese person. In the complex there are probably 30,000 people and you see the odd podger knocking around but definitely not a lot.

They are definitely getting bigger, but one in three seems a bit OTT.

In the buffetrestaurants you'll meet the fat Thai...especially on wednesdaynight at Sizzlers when there's promotion.

Also on the market, there's a long qeueu for the deepfried saucages/breadthings and they're all fat.

Or look in the malls who's walking while eating icecream...

Quote :-

For example, fish sauce must have six grams or less of sodium, while soy sauce and other seasonings must have less than five grams of sodium per 100 millilitres. Instant noodles and congee must have only a gram of sodium or less per 50 grams. Healthier Choice snacks must have less than 6 grams of saturated fat and 0.5 grams of sodium per 100 grams of say, chips.

So what about the ubiquitous bag of MSG that adorns every street vendors stall, and Thai Kitchen.....I even tried telling the other half about the health issues with it, and the reply was.......'it makes food taste better, and is not Thai food without it'........as the article says, it will take years.......try decades !!! 

Can I also ask where the extra taxes will go........certainly not to the health departments......

Most Thai food is loaded with Sugar , Salt , Fish Sauce , also most things are deep fried...., I struggle to find healthy Thai Food..

Soft drinks are the same, loaded with Syrup and Sugar.....

they need to to start educating the kids about this...

There is so many cooking programmes on Thai TV and not once have I ever seen a Healthy Options version..., it's like let's get the frying Pan out and soak it all with grease...

Education like everything else is the key......

Try buying a Coke Zero and Pepsi Max off a strret vendor or small shop r eatery. Impossible. In Siem Reap recently went to a street vendor and asked for a Coke Light. No problem. All shops and restaurants seemed to have the zero sugar variants. 

It would be interesting to see if there is more sugar in Thai food or this so called junk food.  Thai's love putting loads of sugar in everything.  If it's not sugar, then it's deep fried.  If they want to stop the problem, educate the people.  You don't need sugar in everything you make.