Two men arrested after Canadian tourist attacked with machete

Jonathan Fairfield

Two men arrested after Canadian tourist attacked with machete

tr.jpg

Image: ThaiRath

Police have arrested two Thai men who  attacked a Canadian tourist with a machete.

Philip Robert Sullivan, 68, was attacked after he left a restaurant near Chumphon train station with his girlfriend King Kukaew just after 2am last Wednesday.

The incident was captured on CCTV.

Police say the two suspects, identified as Yutthana Chumworathaye and Sarawut Katerat, followed the couple in a pickup truck.

Yutthana then got out of the vehicle and attempted to snatch the one baht gold necklace Ms King was wearing around her neck.

Mr Sullivan then tried to intervene but was attacked with a machete, which resulted in serious wounds to his arm and neck. 

Yutthana then fled empty handed in the pick up which was being driven by Sarawut.

Mr Sullivan was rushed to the Ket Udom Sak Hospital in Chumphon where he remains in a serious but stable condition. Ms King also required hospital treatment for severe bruising to her neck.

Police said the men had been released from prison just three months ago and admitted to carrying out at least four other similar robberies this year.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-21

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weapon being held by one of the two suspects (assailants) is, I believe, more like one of those Thai made "Samurai swords" available at Thai night markets nationwide.

A machete is a larger, heavier tool/weapon as shown here:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=machete&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipubTVqqHSAhVKp48KHVK8D74Q_AUIBigB  

I hope Mr Sullivan and his partner Ms King recover fast and also hope the next time these two animals, now in custody, appear in court, they are given harsher sentences than before. Rotten b astards.

9 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Had it been a real machete,he would possibly be dead, but it wasn't and he isn't..

It doesn't matter what you want to call the weapons they used. If they have been serious about killing him, they could have managed quite well with what they had.

The Canadian would have been smart to hand over the gold necklace and wish them well. What was he thinking? How stupid was that?- an unarmed 68-year-old gent going after 2 knife/blade wielding Thais. 

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

It doesn't matter what you want to call the weapons they used. If they have been serious about killing him, they could have managed quite well with what they had.

The Canadian would have been smart to hand over the gold necklace and wish them well. What was he thinking? How stupid was that?- an unarmed 68-year-old gent going after 2 knife/blade wielding Thais. 

In summary...

The two thieves could have killed him but, quite reasonably, only used the minimum force necessary to achieve their aim.

However, the Canadian was foolish to inflame the situation by coming to the aid of his girlfriend, causing the escalation of an otherwise amicable transaction.

Damn Canadians - always causing trouble!

all thais i know wear gold , they never seem to get attacked,  why should not a farang. wear gold, not sure if Ms King is thai or not. these low lifes need harsh  sentences, its the law that needs shaking up. and they have already got prison form, how about 3 strikes and your out for starters

I once saw a Thai girl pulled off her moving bike by two scumbags trying to steal her gold necklace.

They failed, but she broke her neck when she hit the ground. I got the Bike number including the Thai letters and gave them to the police.

Sadly, I don't know if they caught the lowlifes or not.

Street theft of gold is becoming something of an epidemic though, so I hope the Thai Courts will start to dish out some EXTREMELY punitive penalties to try to persuade people to stop it.

Especially when people are hospitalised as a result of their actions.

You should not end up in hospital or crippled from jewellery worth a pittance in the bigger picture.

Edited by darksidedog

Yeah sure, everyone should wear gold and diamonds to ones heart content. And you should not be attacked for it. But get real, there are scumbags throughout the world and these lowlife crims don't give a rats whether you are falung or not. Do not flaunt your wealth unless you are in a highly protected area. Message to tourists, leave the valuables at home and wear bling. Message to expats and others, the police probably won't be able to help you if you are attacked by ratbags after your showings of wealth and it is stolen and you are injured or killed. Pretend you are in the worst parts of the Bronx. Anyway, what does it do for you.

2 minutes ago, ocddave said:

I think the only answer is to get your own weapon, make sure you bring a gun to a knife fight though, then the ending to this story would have been poetic justice.

I fail to see how a Canadian being charged with two murders would  be poetic justice.

Did you think that comment through?

Encouraging people to go about their lives "tooled up" is really not intelligent.

8 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I fail to see how a Canadian being charged with two murders would  be poetic justice.

Did you think that comment through?

Encouraging people to go about their lives "tooled up" is really not intelligent.

Since when is protecting yourself murder?!

Just now, ocddave said:

Since when is protecting yourself murder?!

This is Thailand. You shoot two people you ARE going to be charged, you are going to jail.

And bail will be very difficult and very expensive.

Maybe, if you are real lucky you will get a manslaughter conviction and only do 10 years.

After waitying in jail 2-3 years for your trial to finish.

Self defense might work in England or America, but not here.

Bear in mind, you can NOT carry a gun. Even if licensed, it must be kept under lock and key, in a safe or a gun club.

This is not Rambo country.

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

Thank you Spiderorchid. Someone knows the rules here, even if RamboDave thinks it's the Wild West.

I guess the alternative is being a victim, and sitting in a hospital with machete wounds...or better yet, a morgue. I would rather live to tell the story, then to just become another statistic, "foreigner killed again".....forgotten tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, ocddave said:

I guess the alternative is being a victim, and sitting in a hospital with machete wounds...or better yet, a morgue. I would rather live to tell the story, then to just become another statistic, "foreigner killed again".....forgotten tomorrow.

You can live to tell the story in a Thai jail then.

Don't get me wrong. I understand your sentiment, but this is Thailand and it is just not going to go down well in court.

Did you read the earlier post?

Killing a thief here is Murder. End of story. No ifs, buts and maybes. You WILL go to jail. And it will be Murder.

Thais do not like a body count, regardless of the circumstances.

You should understand this quickly, as if you practice what you preach, you WILL be forgotten as you rot in the jail.

I hope this has clued you up to reality and this is the end of the conversation.

If you don't believe me or the previous poster, go ask some lawyers, who will tell you how mistaken your theory is.

Edited by darksidedog

No need to be a victim. Do not display wealth, sort of like carrying a handful of 1000 bt notes for everyone to see. Scumbags will be attracted. Especially with an old age pensioner to protect. Your solution is to kill and go to jail for a very long time. You may feel morally correct, but a few days in the Hilton will probably wake you up.

Just now, darksidedog said:

You can live to tell the story in a Thai jail then.

Don't get me wrong. I understand your sentiment, but this is Thailand and it is just not going to go down well in court.

Did you read the earlier post?

Killing a thief here is Murder. End of story. No ifs, buts and maybes. You WILL go to jail. And it will be Murder.

Thais do not like a body count, regardless of the circumstances.

You should understand this quickly, as if you practice what you preach, you WILL be forgotten as you rot in the jail.

I have a nasty attitude towards criminals, so basically if this happened to me, justice would be served one way or the other.....I don't care if takes me 20 years to recover and get back on my feet, they would both be dead. So when I look at it that way, what difference does it make, really? And are there no self-defense outcomes allowed in Thailand? I find that hard to believe, so  two guys can swing a machete at me, but I am not allowed to kill them in the ensuing brawl?

4 minutes ago, ocddave said:

I have a nasty attitude towards criminals, so basically if this happened to me, justice would be served one way or the other.....I don't care if takes me 20 years to recover and get back on my feet, they would both be dead. So when I look at it that way, what difference does it make, really? And are there no self-defense outcomes allowed in Thailand? I find that hard to believe, so  two guys can swing a machete at me, but I am not allowed to kill them in the ensuing brawl?

no need to kill....disable them  in your personal way...