Tourists blamed for pirate goods problems as ministry heeds PM's call

webfact

This makes interesting reading. If tourists are responsible for 17% of GDP and they are the main cause of pirated goods being sold which results in more cash in circulation in the wider economy. Then can we conclude that the sale and piracy of products is partly responsible for such astonishing GDP numbers. Which the goverment was rightly proud of two days ago.

And point two..how the hell are tour operators going to stop tourist going where ever they please to shop and how or what does "get tough" mean? Give em a good talking to? 50 lines? or a dam good kicking if they buy some knock off Addidas trainers from MBK?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

Why not make pirating stuff illegal, confiscate the pirates goods and arrest the pirates?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The police realize that everybody has to make a living here plus the shakedown potential so you finger the tourists who is of no monetary value well maybe under special circumstances. Its really a delicate balancing act here policing and collecting at the same time. You have to realize your limitations or you upset the applecart. 

Do they Honestly not understand that if it is not there to begin with that no one can buy it? WOW!! Not to mention the fact that they are desperate for tourists to come to Thailand , but now are not only trying to take away one of the big draws, but also blaming them for it being a Problem ??? If I was a tourist I wouldn't even come here after finding out about this.

How stupid.

First of all let's answer the poster who says "Fake is affordable..." Perhaps but by buying Fakes you are participating in theft. You don't have to buy the "real" thing: Just avoid it and buy something else. I don't want and don't buy fake brans and contribute to the pockets of people who are basically criminal thieves.

Secondly: Tourists? Don't make me laugh! How about all those little Thai girls driving around on their motorbikes with fake Louis Vuitton? How about all the Thai cyclists buying Fake Oakleys? And on and on it goes.

How about the expats buying fakes from China such as Fake Pinarellos and Fake Time bicycles. OMG! Yes, some expats and some tourists buy Fakes but it's the Thais that consume the large majority of this sh**.

Just tell the Chinese manufacturers to design their own brands - they'll make more money and everyone will be happy. Except those little Thai girls who want to look "Hi So" with their fake handbags that, if real, would have cost more than their motorbikes.

Ruddy nonsense if you ask me.

3 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

First they are going to shut down the sex industry

then the fake products industry

What next?

Many tourists are going to go elsewhere

They shut down a wind farm in Chaiyapum  and endorsed a coal fired power station in Krabi....go figure!

2 hours ago, Pib said:

I forget we are dealing with Thai govt mentality here....and probably a lot of under-the-table money being spread around to leave the stores alone

Spot on with that remark and I know for a fact that a guy here pays off the BIB and Customs to the tune of 1 million baht a year to turn a blind eye to him bringing in fake goods for these very shops.

Of course the BIB never raid his little warehouse, choosing to raid the stores and confiscate the goods, thereby making the stores buy more goods from the supplier, who then has to pay the BIB more money to bring the goods into the country – – – see how it goes!

8 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Two days ago old news they have moved on. Memory retention of the past is not a strong suit here. 

Remember about the past and you become depressed. Worry about the future you get anxiety. Live in the present if you want happiness.

These are the words of wisdom Mrs. BB uses to explain sabai sabai and why yours truly is a depressed, anxious grumpy old bugger!

Different thought process. Blame the farang so no Thai loses face. 

Just now, Baerboxer said:

Remember about the past and you become depressed. Worry about the future you get anxiety. Live in the present if you want happiness.

These are the words of wisdom Mrs. BB uses to explain sabai sabai and why yours truly is a depressed, anxious grumpy old bugger!

Different thought process. Blame the farang so no Thai loses face. 

Kudo's to Mrs. BB. 

59 minutes ago, JAG said:

It's astonishing isn't it? Capable of extraordinarily silly suggestions like this, yet so clever when it comes to wise investments!

Make Buffet look like an amateur.

And of course the rich never have to worry about buying fakes as they can easily afford the real McCoy, even with the hyped up tax.

Thailand must be losing its appeal for tourists, having to pay to get to beaches, danger of getting attacked, being ripped off and blamed for things like this. Not that it was ever my cup of tea but the quality  of the girls in those gogo bars now has gone right downhill too,  most of the good looking ones appear to be on tinder. 

That's the same as blaming drug users for the drugs problem seen across the world. Whereas in the 'real world' we (those blessed with brains) know it's the drug cartels / manufacturers.

Sure.. There is demand for the fake goods, but that isn't where they should be blaming tourists.  Why not cut off the supply?

The Govt are allowing for the OPEN SALE of counterfeit goods... Maybe, they are to blame for allowing this illegal industry to be so rampant.

#Pathetic

If they accomplish this, a lot of tourists will just have to visit Hong Kong or other neighboring countries to spend their money, as the demand for these goods is very strong, and they no doubt contribute a lot to the economy.

Good news for some neighboring countries.