Tourists blamed for pirate goods problems as ministry heeds PM's call

webfact

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfreaken believable.   Blame the tourist (instead of the store) for buying a product in a store known to sell fake goods.  Sure, you can blame the tourist to a degree but put 99% of the blame on the store selling the fake product.

What about the government/law enforcement going to the store and arresting and/or fining the store owner...or just shutting the store down.  Is that too complicated to comprehend.   

I apologize...I forget we are dealing with Thai govt mentality here....and probably a lot of under-the-table money being spread around to leave the stores alone.

There seems to be a consistent (though flawed), logic here. Farang are supposed to pay ten times more to visit Krabi national park than locals, so the PM simply wants us to pay ten times more for our goods too.

I don't for one minute think though, that if the tourists stop buying fake goods, that the whole industry will just collapse.

I was in the market last week, with knock offs all around. There were a lot more Thais there than foreigners, so obviously just another stupid train of logic thought up by a stupid person.

I wait with baited breath for the next nugget of pear shaped wisdom to emanate from the Ministry of Half Wits.

Just now, darksidedog said:

There seems to be a consistent (though flawed), logic here. Farang are supposed to pay ten times more to visit Krabi national park than locals, so the PM simply wants us to pay ten times more for our goods too.

I don't for one minute think though, that if the tourists stop buying fake goods, that the whole industry will just collapse.

I was in the market last week, with knock offs all around. There were a lot more Thais there than foreigners, so obviously just another stupid train of logic thought up by a stupid person.

I wait with baited breath for the next nugget of pear shaped wisdom to emanate from the Ministry of Half Wits.

They can't blame the shops and go shut them down. That would cost a lot of people a lot of money. So instead they have to come up with a reason that this continues to go on with out actually just shutting it all down. 

Much of this is just a fiasco for show so that Team America and F.A.G. don't put Thailand in a list saying they are bad kids for copyright piracy. Nobody actually cares but they must be seen to be taking action or they get downgraded.

59 minutes ago, vadid said:

I wonder who must be selling and making all the fake goods? No Thai would ever do such things, so it must be tourists too.

Yes must be  all those "working holiday tourists"  from Burma and Cambodia the ones that don't even have work permits..despicable.

1 minute ago, johng said:

Yes must be  all those "working holiday tourists"  from Burma and Cambodia the ones that don't even have work permits..despicable.

Now we're talking! You have managed to use an example of some of the best scapegoats on the planet. It must be those dirty filthy illegal Cambodians and Lao people buying it. 

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:

First they are going to shut down the sex industry

then the fake products industry

What next?

Many tourists are going to go elsewhere

Of course. If it wasn't for tourists they're wouldn't be any sex or fake pirated goods industry.

Believe that and you really would believe anything. But sadly that sort of comment is what gets issued.

Actually looking forward to see how they handle this. Controlling the traffic in Bangkok, stopping drugs, etc would be easier tasks.

But I do forget that these promises have also been made inside their time frames.......................;)

Fake good have been available here for at least 30 years that I can attest to. There is no way, under the current circumstances, of this ever happening.

As others have said, unless customs (yes, most of the goods are imported or smuggled these days) do their jobs, the police get their act together and go for the throat of the problem and not the toes, and the combined forces secure the borders of the country, nothing will change in the long term.

Smoke & Mirrors once again.

28 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Perhaps people need to actually read the article rather than just the, badly written, headline. They're blaming the tour guides that take the tourists to these places, not the tourists.

One hardly needs a tour guide to find knock off goods in Thailand. It is everywhere you look.

You probably only need a tour guide to take you somewhere that has the real thing.

Items such as watches, bags and fake brand name clothing are everywhere and when tourists buy them and take them home the image of Thailand as a hub for such items only gets worse, said TNA.

I guess when the Tourists go home they will praise Thailand as a hub of inexpensive stuff, that looks much more expensive than it was

I usually consider really dumb tourists as being fooled by fakes, thinking that in Asia, you can get things for less.  That category is probably a lot smaller than it used to be before the internet.

Many buy knock offs knowing they are.  My wife has a genuine Louis Vitton handbag and other high end, genuine items, all purchased outside Thailand.  She bought a knock off LV bag recently at a market.  Looks nice, she likes the style, color, etc., and uses it as a knock around bag, doesn't worry about getting it banged up, dirty or stolen.

Edited by 55Jay

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Ahhh...speaks volume on the grade and class of tourists infesting the shores...

No, actually it speaks volumes that the tour guides are taking people to these places as if it is legitimate. When all is said and done, everyone loves a bargain, especially when there is no way they can afford the real article.

Presumably all of the vendors selling these nefarious counterfeit-products are also non-thais too  ...  or how could the poo-bahs blame foreigners for the trade ? :whistling:

And since they cannot possibly be made-in-Thailand, how do these fakes get smuggled-in, there must be smugglers corrupting honest border-officials from overseas ? :blink:

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

If there were no demand, the dealers wouldn't buy it, and the manufacturers would then quit making what the dealers aren't buying.  That foregoes many who buy knock offs knowing they are.  My wife has a genuine Louis Vitton handbag (purchased abroad) but bought a knock off one recently.  Looks nice, she likes the style, color, etc., and uses it as a knock around bag and doesn't worry about getting it dirty or banged up. 

If that happened a lot of sweat shops would go belly up and many people would be with out jobs. They can not stop what is happening because it is financial suicide to do so. 

pissed myself laughing, thais never take responsibility for their actions, be it selling counterfeit goods to road accidents right through to murders.poor old tourist fault again lol, soon no tourist will come here if we have any more of this bullshite

46 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Perhaps people need to actually read the article rather than just the, badly written, headline. They're blaming the tour guides that take the tourists to these places, not the tourists.

Not really, it says "tourists are the problem". Not everyone comes here in a tour group.

The number of people making a living in this trade under the eyes of all authorities must be in six digit. What are the governments plans to give these (poor) folks a decent job? Not all of them can become motorbike taxi jockeys or 'security guards'.  However, maybe some of them are even clever enough to replace some of the "geniuses" at the  Ministry of Tourism and Sports and help them out to come up with some realistic statements, programs and strategies.

Edited by Lupatria
typo

Just now, Lupatria said:

The number of people making a living in this trade under the eyes of all authorities must be in six digit. What are the governments plans to give these (poor) folks a decent job? Not all of them can become motorbike taxi jockeys or 'security guards'.  However, maybe some of them are even clever enough to replace some of the "geniuses" at the  Ministry of Tourism and Sports and help them out to come up with some realistic programs ans strategies.

This is it exactly. As I said earlier all of this is just lip service to stay off of things like the USA "copyright piracy watch list". 

none of it will ever be enforced because that would be virtually impossible on a practical level.

2 hours ago, DNPBC0 said:

Why not simply 'get tough' on the retailers selling these goods?

You mean the Thais? Don't be silly, they didn't do anything wrong.

"REMOVED". Tourists could stop coming here tomorrow and it wouldn't make a difference. The average Thai always buys fake goods. 

Never in my life have I seen a people totally unwilling to accept any responsibility for their actions. It's always someone else's fault. 

Edited by CharlieH
language edited out