Video: Driver who fled scene apologizes to victim and society

webfact

Wait for the 'wai' and the temple-monk routine. Then all is forgiven.

Snide remarks aside, I'm wondering about the lane the girl was in - was that a bicycle/motorcycle lane? If not, then she shouldn't have been riding 'inside' traffic, for fear of what actually happened. I don't ride, but I hang around bikers enough to know that one of the defensive riding techniques call for bikers to take up as much space on the road as a car, and that means riding in the middle of the lane, or three-quarter of the lane. This is to avoid drivers squeezing pass bikers, which they would normally do if the riders rode too close to the inside and the drivers think there is enough space to squeeze past. Taking up the road like a car will force drivers to overtake the bikes as the would overtake a car and give it a wide berth. And if it comes to a squeeze, at least the biker has room to maneuvre on his/her left.

Back to this video - even if she had right of way i.e. she was in a gazetted bicycle/motorcycle lane, she should still have slowed down a little in anticipation of gits like Sakchai, in that kind of situation. Then again, it's easy for us armchair judges to say, huh? Honestly glad she survived the accident.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't know who I'm more disgusted with! 

1. The driver for fleeimg the scene of an accident, 

2. the motorcyclist for not slowing down and overtaking the car on THE OTHER SIDE or

3. all the motorists and motorcyclists who passed a human being lying on the road in broad daylight and not stopping to help!

Ab-so-lute-ly degenerate behaviour! 

They should all have to apologise to each other! 

You don't need to ride a motorcycle in Thailand for very long to appreciate that every other vehicle on the road seems to be hellbent on killing or maiming you.

The unfortunate lady on the bike really should have been more aware of what the idiot in the car was about to do.

As a PP said, the car driver should have prepared for his manoeuvre and blocked any possibility of undertaking from the left hand lane.

I know a lot of people say you should drive / ride like Thais when in Thailand, but very often you really, really shouldn't.

17 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

was he using his indicator?

under taking she was in the wrong if he did use his indicator however theirs 2 things wrong with my post. first i think he never indercated second if he did she would never of seen it. if you look at any Thais when riding a bike all there thinking about is som tam

16 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Any rider with brains would slow down in those circumstances: it must have been obvious, now even more painfully so, that the guy was going left. So she keeps going at full bore assuming he will wait? Beyond dumb.

you cant teach stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, eeyang wah said:

If I was driving the car no way would I stop. 

at least you got the balls to say that i think many farangs living here know if they did stop their be the ones getting roasted when clearly it was the bike fault. i think more would drive off than you think.

Edited by catman20

Regardless of the car driver using his mirror (unlikely) or a turn signal (even more unlikely), he was in the correct lane for turning left as indicated by the left-turn arrow painted on the road. Whereas the motorbike rider was totally in the wrong. Yes, motorbikes must keep in the near-side lane but NOT the left-turn only lane. This is a 2-lane highway with a third slip-lane for left-turning traffic ONLY.

Years ago a friend was headed towards the beach in Pattaya & made a right turn on 2nd road, when a moto zoomed around his right, in the wrong lane and crashed into his right front fender, .

The guy went flying thru the air, tumbled end over end, jumped up and took off running.

My buddy foolishly waited for the cops.

He spent the night at the Soi 9 police station & got out the next day (after his wife paid the cops 50,000 baht).

What nobody has mentioned is that there is an unbroken white line at the end of the lane that she was using. She should have stopped! What is unforgivable, however, is the driver not stopping to help her and the passers by that ignored her.

Throw the lying toad in Jail.

6 Months minimum.

One more prim example of the murderous drivers / Rides of Thailand.

pure scum. it's time for Thailand to start making examples of this sort of behaviour.

It could be your,  Child , wife, family next .

All the after,   is just crocodile tears.

because he was caught on CCTV.

lying toad.

Edited by onemorechang

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Regardless of the car driver using his mirror (unlikely) or a turn signal (even more unlikely), he was in the correct lane for turning left as indicated by the left-turn arrow painted on the road. Whereas the motorbike rider was totally in the wrong. Yes, motorbikes must keep in the near-side lane but NOT the left-turn only lane. This is a 2-lane highway with a third slip-lane for left-turning traffic ONLY.

Looks to me like the lane is marked as ahead & left (not left only). Also, about 50m before the junction the car moves over to the right and the offside wheels are in the next lane until it starts to turn left.

Poor examples of driving by both - but IMO a car driver could have easily avoided this collision by making better use of his mirrors.