Video: Driver who fled scene apologizes to victim and society

webfact

Video: Driver who fled scene apologizes to victim and society

5pmm.jpg

Picture: Thairath

BURIRAM: -- A driver who fled the scene of a serious accident in Buriram has apologized to the victim and society saying he will pick up the tab

Sakchai Papotinang, 32, was driving a Honda Civic when he collided with a 21 year old female student when turning into new government offices in the north eastern Thai town.

He drove off leaving the victim on the road. Others soon arrived to help. The woman lived.

Police issued a summons for the driver who was interviewed yesterday at Buriram police station. He said that he left the scene of the accident because he was in a state of shock Thairath reported.

But even though he fled he did not intend to flee his responsibilities and claimed that he had tried to get in touch with the victim.

He apologized to her, her family and society. He said he would take care of all hospital bills.

Police released him but he was due back today to face charges in the matter.

The CCTV footage identified his car and was widely shared on social media.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-24

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see nothing strange in the movie. Car doesnt use its direction lights/indicators. And turns left without watching his back. Motorcycle doesnt slow down although it was pretty obvious the guy was going to do a leftie. Driver then flees. Normal. Thai. Behaviour. Next. Please. Khrap.  

Edited by Mook23

2 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Motorcycle should have slowed down or check the the car in front. A car slowing down towards a junction clearly send a signal of the driver making a turn soon. Feel sorry for the girl as she was using the correct lane.

I agree with you but that is typical Thai driving with no concern for others, no indication of what you are doing, no peripheral vision, no spatial awareness, to name just a few.

good  job she had her helmet on as she  landed on her head! never  learn  never  will, never  happen to me etc.

As for paying for her, shell probably see  bugger  all, promises easy to make hard to keep, no chance of  any  money  or 10 baht a  week "im poor" bs.......next, who cares I gave up  here a long time ago

Edited by kannot

26 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I agree with you but that is typical Thai driving with no concern for others, no indication of what you are doing, no peripheral vision, no spatial awareness, to name just a few.

Me. Me. Me. Center. Of. Universe.

5 minutes ago, Mook23 said:

So did your imaginary friend jesus... ?

hmmmmmmmm I preferred  my old avatar which I had to replace as it  caused offence to the religious fairytale believers............. too stupid to understand science?? try religion.............does that clear up the avatar mystery for you?

From the video, a typical Thai road accident: everybody involved doing something wrong and contributing to the unfortunate result. Loved the stark reality of so many passersby not bothering to provide aid or comfort to the obviously injured girl rider. Love thy neighbour (when convenient).

Typical Thai response . Flees the scene Gets caught then apologizes This guy would never have turned himself in if he had not been caught

And this story he gives about trying to get in touch with the victim afterwards

How in heck would he have done that He did not stop to get her information

Lock him up

35 minutes ago, Ralf61 said:

Wasn't THAT soon. Lots of drivers simply passed by without givin' an damn sh@!+/t before one eventually took care...

Agree. How shocking that people could see someone lying injured on the road and just carry on as if it were nothing?

motorbike and car who don't care of the body  should  get fine too really , what the <deleted>  you see someone on a floor and  mai pen laii  not my business something like that , thai coming to be like that too  ?? 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He apologized to her, her family and society. He said he would take care of all hospital bills.

Before or after your gaol term is served for fleeing the scene of an accident?

sarcasm mode...I know fleeing the scene doesn't often {if ever} result in gaol terms. 

Should though...

Edited by Bluespunk

35 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Any rider with brains would slow down in those circumstances: it must have been obvious, now even more painfully so, that the guy was going left. So she keeps going at full bore assuming he will wait? Beyond dumb.

Yeah! She was dumb cos he had already started to turn left.

If being dumb here was a crime though, there wouldn't be many people on the streets.

What is as shocking as the guy driving off was the amount of people that drove by without stoping to see if she was OK.

Unbelievable.

1 hour ago, kannot said:

hmmmmmmmm I preferred  my old avatar which I had to replace as it  caused offence to the religious fairytale believers............. too stupid to understand science?? try religion.............does that clear up the avatar mystery for you?

The only mystery for me is the universe but nonetheless i understand now ure a an atheist or agnost. Peace.

Just now, Mook23 said:

I see nothing strange in the movie. Car doesnt use its direction lights/indicators. And turns left without watching his back. Motorcycle doesnt slow down although it was pretty obvious the guy was going to do a leftie. Driver then flees. Normal. Thai. Behaviour. Next. Please. Khrap.  

And notice what happens when she lies unconscious in the road, multiple motorbikes and cars are just passing, nobody cares.

It's typical Thais, mind your own business and let somebody else call the rescue.

Amazing Thailand.......Not anymore.

That video shows a scene where the driver is 10% at fault. The girl unfortunately has had zero training about how to stay alive on a motorcycle and just plowed straight on, despite good visibility of what the car was doing, indicators or not.

And the 10% is the insurance company rule of thumb - if you were there then you're at least that much at fault.

Sad for the girl, I hope she learns something from it.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

AKA drunk at time of accident. 

May have been drunk, drugged or maybe not at all. Maybe on phone, sms, watching movie; or simply not sure where he was going, looking all over the place bar his mirrors, failing to indicate and then legging it as that's the easiest way out. Till someone says there's CCTV and they're looking for you. Then best get down voluntarily, lots of wai-ing, apologies, promises to pay etc.

All the usual MO

26 minutes ago, bheard said:

That video shows a scene where the driver is 10% at fault. The girl unfortunately has had zero training about how to stay alive on a motorcycle and just plowed straight on, despite good visibility of what the car was doing, indicators or not.

And the 10% is the insurance company rule of thumb - if you were there then you're at least that much at fault.

Sad for the girl, I hope she learns something from it.

Sure - the motor bike hit the car. Must be in the wrong then, :saai:

And he was very busy and very important so couldn't be bothered to stop.

Edited by Baerboxer

- I cannot tell if she's wearing a helmet, even on a full sized screen & nor can i tell if he's indicating.

- His dashcam might help if he had one, inc audio supporting his indicators were working.

- Some of the non affected drivers may have phoned for help and/or made their footage available instead of  'doing nuffink' as suspected in this thread.

- How many reading this are still driving without a dashcam...?

Just my 2p :)

Edited by evadgib