Emotions run high as woman wails: "Why are you doing this to the Buddhist religion?"

rooster59

13 hours ago, optad said:

Buddhism is not a religion, more a way of thinking or philosophy. Permissive for almost anything.

But, up to you...

Buddhism claims not to be a religion while teaching of the existence of devas, which are essentially gods, I would argue that it is a religion.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, bannork said:

And what makes you think Buddhists don't believe we are the same decaying organic matter?. One of the tenets is there is no permanent self, it's an illusion to get through life. A true Buddhist is intent on living in the moment, dying is not in his thoughts,. And  in that living is a code of thought and behaviour, not dissimilar to humanist thought.

We must be meeting different Buddhists and read different versions of what Buddhism is. 

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Monks here are close to untouchable, as is seen by the PM's reluctance to storm the Temple, which he would undoubtedly have done if not for that fact.

Agreed.  There was a standoff for some time at the Tiger Temple.  Now see what is happening there.  Complete capitulation by the authorities.  Yes, untouchable.

1 minute ago, losername said:

Agreed.  There was a standoff for some time at the Tiger Temple.  Now see what is happening there.  Complete capitulation by the authorities.  Yes, untouchable.

Correct, Losername. I think I was possibly the first on Thaivisa - certainly one of the first - to say that it seems that the only mass of people in Thailand today who have the power and invulnerability to overthrow a dictatorial regime - not that such exists in Thailand, of course - would be the monks. As you say - they are untouchable by the bombs, guns and tanks of any army here.

10 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

These stupid people are way too brainwashed to realize that this is not about clamping down on Buddhism per se but about apprehending and arresting a high-ranking monk who is accused of having laundered billions of baht and allegedly also has been involved in a slew of other criminal offenses.

But that is obviously impossible to explain to a bunch of idiots with the combined IQ of a pea who honestly believe that their holy man can actually make himself invisible and even walk on water.

The temple siege would have been entirely unnecessary if the coward of an ex-abbot had given himself up and fight the accusations in a court of law instead of playing cat and mouse.

The temple, its monks and followers have defied every single court order, obstructed the authorities in carrying out several arrest and search warrants, repeatedly put up physical resistance, barricaded themselves in, and practically established a state within the state -

They demand to be treated fairly while at the same committing each and every foul play imaginable? And now they have the galls to pull the "why are you doing this to Buddhism" card? It's pathetic and it's disgusting.

Yeah reminds me so much of the many cults in a nation of 50 states.

2 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Correct, Losername. I think I was possibly the first on Thaivisa - certainly one of the first - to say that it seems that the only mass of people in Thailand today who have the power and invulnerability to overthrow a dictatorial regime - not that such exists in Thailand, of course - would be the monks. As you say - they are untouchable by the bombs, guns and tanks of any army here.

What happened to Thammakai's choice of Supreme Patriach, Somdet Chuang?  He was rejected by those in power in favour of another monk.

Did Thammakai monks protest?

No, not a whimper.

What makes you think they are invulnerable? The abbot is facing embezzlement charges, several others are likely to face charges too. 

And do you seriously think Wat Thammakai is a democratic movement? Look at how rich the inner circle is.

Some monks are certainly more equal than others to paraphrase George Orwell

13 minutes ago, bannork said:

What happened to Thammakai's choice of Supreme Patriach, Somdet Chuang?  He was rejected by those in power in favour of another monk.

Did Thammakai monks protest?

No, not a whimper.

What makes you think they are invulnerable? The abbot is facing embezzlement charges, several others are likely to face charges too. 

And do you seriously think Wat Thammakai is a democratic movement? Look at how rich the inner circle is.

Some monks are certainly more equal than others to paraphrase George Orwell

You make good points, Bannork. But 'facing charges' is entirely different from being dragged - kicking and screaming - by the police/ military into a court of law. The law requires precisely en-FORCE-ment - and so far such force has not been applied to Thailand's monks.

For the rest, I certainly do not support this particular monk or his temple - and you are right that this organisation is far from democratic.

23 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

They've turned a philosophy into a religion, with all the inherent drawbacks this implies.

Yes I agreed totally, Buddha never said he was God . In fact Indian thinking even before Buddha's time was so advanced that they did not see the necessity of a religion in their lives.( e.g. Jainism)

During Buddha's time Indian thinking was already so scientific, they were using psychological terms when they talked about the human mind. They could help people who had mental problems.

That's why today in Europe and America, many mental health care institutions are using Buddhist methods in their work because they are effective, otherwise they wouldn't bother would they?

12 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

These stupid people are way too brainwashed to realize that this is not about clamping down on Buddhism per se but about apprehending and arresting a high-ranking monk who is accused of having laundered billions of baht and allegedly also has been involved in a slew of other criminal offenses.

But that is obviously impossible to explain to a bunch of idiots with the combined IQ of a pea who honestly believe that their holy man can actually make himself invisible and even walk on water.

The temple siege would have been entirely unnecessary if the coward of an ex-abbot had given himself up and fight the accusations in a court of law instead of playing cat and mouse.

The temple, its monks and followers have defied every single court order, obstructed the authorities in carrying out several arrest and search warrants, repeatedly put up physical resistance, barricaded themselves in, and practically established a state within the state -

They demand to be treated fairly while at the same committing each and every foul play imaginable? And now they have the galls to pull the "why are you doing this to Buddhism" card? It's pathetic and it's disgusting.

Just change a few words and it could be a different story and may be closer to the truth

41 minutes ago, madusa said:

Yes I agreed totally, Buddha never said he was God . In fact Indian thinking even before Buddha's time was so advanced that they did not see the necessity of a religion in their lives.( e.g. Jainism)

During Buddha's time Indian thinking was already so scientific, they were using psychological terms when they talked about the human mind. They could help people who had mental problems.

That's why today in Europe and America, many mental health care institutions are using Buddhist methods in their work because they are effective, otherwise they wouldn't bother would they?

They would be private institutions, right?  There are also private institutes using Christian prayer to "cure" all sorts of ailments, they "bother" to do this largely because of the income it generates and they are no more effective than any other placebo.

16 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

They would be private institutions, right?  There are also private institutes using Christian prayer to "cure" all sorts of ailments, they "bother" to do this largely because of the income it generates and they are no more effective than any other placebo.

Shawn,  is Christ the surname of Jesus? I didn't know God has a surname, Christ. 

Is Fatima also called Mary the mother of Jesus? I am confused. Please can you help out a bit.

12 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

I don't know why so many people are making negative comments about the monks. This is the only opposition the military junta cannot defeat with weapons of war. If the monks can get a million people on the streets it will spell the end of Phrayut. I don't think they are there yet but it is coming. Every Thai person I have spoken to supports the monks and despises the army.

How many Thais have you spoken to? Were they city or rural Thais? Rich or poor?

22 minutes ago, madusa said:

Shawn,  is Christ the surname of Jesus? I didn't know God has a surname, Christ. 

Is Fatima also called Mary the mother of Jesus? I am confused. Please can you help out a bit.

Was it truly difficult for you to understand?  I don't think anyone would be so daft as to make the assumption that they would not bother using Christian faith healing if it was not effective, but you are regarding Buddhism.

20 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

I don't know why so many people are making negative comments about the monks. This is the only opposition the military junta cannot defeat with weapons of war. If the monks can get a million people on the streets it will spell the end of Phrayut. I don't think they are there yet but it is coming. Every Thai person I have spoken to supports the monks and despises the army.

Why? because they must be pro-communists. 5555.

I personally hate all religions because by the centuries they created wars and hatred .

Look at nowadays.....

Buddhism is not a religion and as far in history of Buddhism they are not aggressive hence maybe better to read about Buddhism a little to understand the difference.

17 hours ago, Kabula said:

A very sensitive subject so we all need to show respect. :smile:

The best way to end hatred, wars and protesting is to be respectful and make them your friends.

I don't imagine many of the trolls in this world have any friends left!

Watch them pile on now. Ha ha ha

"A very sensitive subject so we all need to show respect. :smile:"

Respect should be reserved for things and ideas worthy of respect.

One of the reasons religions are still with us is people used to approach it as you state - that's their belief and they should be respected.

Why?

Religion should be regarded at least as critically as people would discuss a movie, or what computer is best, or what to eat for dinner.

Giving an unquestioning blanket pass to a group of ancient superstitions keeps society from advancing.

Edited by JimmyJ

18 minutes ago, gigman said:

Why? because they must be pro-communists. 5555.

I personally hate all religions because by the centuries they created wars and hatred .

Look at nowadays.....

Buddhism is not a religion and as far in history of Buddhism they are not aggressive hence maybe better to read about Buddhism a little to understand the difference.

Really, not aggressive,  then what rock did you crawl from under ?

https://news.vice.com/article/meet-the-violent-buddhists-starting-riots-in-sri-lanka

Sri Lankan Buddhist monks riot,

And Buddhist Monks set fire to Muslims

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312807/Burma-riots-Horrifying-moment-Buddhists-set-Muslim-man.html

Wake up,  they are no different from anybody else on this planet,  human beings.  Nothing special. They think they are of course just like other religions along with the brainwashed followers who believe in that claptrap but at the end of the day they are no different from the other 6.7 billion people on this planet.  Subject to the same emotions and in a few cases unable to control those emotions in a peaceful way they have to resort to violence. I won't mention the non Buddhist activities that so many Thai Monks appear to get up to also.

23 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Change a few words and you could be presenting an accurate statement about the Catholic church, or just about any other religious institution that uses its power for less than respectable activities. 

7 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"A very sensitive subject so we all need to show respect. :smile:"

Respect should be reserved for things and ideas worthy of respect.

One of the reasons religions are still with us is people used to approach it as you state - that's their belief and they should be respected.

Why?

Religion should be regarded at least as critically as people would discuss a movie, or what computer is best, or what to eat for dinner.

Giving an unquestioning blanket pass to a group of ancient superstitions keeps society from advancing.

Why..because no respect causes  polarization, anger,  financial retreats, which  starts wars and millions die!

Contrary to your beliefs, religion helps people worldwide who have lost everyone and everything.

It is obvious you are not a war veteran!