Songkran 2017

lumply

The Main days (absolute mayhem) are 18 & 19, so yes you planned oke. But some areas will already start around the 10th / 11th (Soi 8 etc) so avoid those if you don't wanna get wet.

Here an excellent (but lengthy) read by JSixpack about Songkran

Here an excerpt from that faq.

Q: Can I travel on the 11th?
A: Should be no problem, except the bus station may be a bit more crowded owing to the exodus from Pattaya. Avoid bar areas in the afternoon

@Jai Dee  Thx, I was on Ipad when I wrote that and switched to PC to search for it and edited my text;)

Edited by MJCM

OP, you will be OK. Tuesday the 18th is the worst day in Pattaya.  I truly believe it may be the most terrible, immature holiday in the world.  I understand it to a point, but not to the danger and abusiveness it has become.  Drive by on a motorbike or even walking and have powder/streaming water shot in your eyes.  HAHA, everyone thinks its funny.  Whatever, I am going to Hong Kong good luck.

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

OP, you will be OK. Tuesday the 18th is the worst day in Pattaya.

Now you've almost ruined someone's holiday, maybe even caused someone's death by songkraned. The 18th is Naklua's day, w/ spillover into Pattaya. Just a prelude to Pattaya's hell on the 19th.

Edited by JSixpack

The next town over, Bang Sare, celebrates Songkran on April 20 only. Not a drop of water prior. The locals of Bang Sare could well be the nicest Thais I've ever met. Maybe I'll stay the entire week.

My plan, when not hibernating, is to stay in one of the many inexpensive hotels in Bang Sare for April 18 & 19. Then in the early morning of the 20th, I head back to Pattaya. It's not that I don't enjoy celebrations but the length of the revelry is too long and somewhat invasive.

I may sound like I'm whining but I think people do not respect the boundaries of personal space (putting cooling powder on your face or chasing you with a bucket of ice water from who knows where despite your protests) and dousing people who are very clearly not wishing to be included in the celebrations (bank and hospital employees in work uniforms).

Don't naively assume that just because the sun has set that the revelry is over. It's not for many. Quite a few bars keep the revelry going as a draw. A friend of mine was all dolled up with his wife ready to have a nice dinner after 8pm. They were both struck by a good amount of water to their backs. They turned around to see the tiny male manager of their hotel holding a now empty bucket and wishing them a happy new year. 

1 hour ago, stravers said:

The next town over, Bang Sare, celebrates Songkran on April 20 only. Not a drop of water prior. The locals of Bang Sare could well be the nicest Thais I've ever met. Maybe I'll stay the entire week.

That's a good plan and is mentioned in the Songkran FAQ (long version). Poster ceek does that:

Solution: Bang Sare.

I always head there for the last 2 days. I find Pattaya [at night] from April 13-17 is tolerable in most areas as the playing dies down after 6pm (your mileage may vary). Then on the 18th to morning of 20th, I am relaxing comfortably in Bang Sare. Bang Sare throws water on the 20th all day but by 9am, I'm already back in dry Pattaya.

ceek, on 2015-01-20 08:18:39: