Will the price of beer, wine and spirits go up?

webfact

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Spellforce said:

That news in thai:

http://me.upyim.co/14138/

I understand that this new tax will be applied only to the wholesalers (maybe for 1000 bottles or liters?),

and there wont be any change on the retail price.

So your belief is that the wholesalers are just going to absorb these massive increases and cuts to their profit margin and not pass on the costs? How magnanimous of them must be that Thainess I keep hearing about as no other business in the world would do it. Finding that very hard to believe I'm afraid.

7 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I like how - according to TV members - every proposition of the Thai government always is a risk for the tourism... :cool::biggrin:

Seriously, ithis could have an impact mainly on the sex-tourists that frequent the beer bars in the red-zones, and so it could be a good thing (IMHO) but even if Thailand would decide to globally forbid beer, there would be still millions of real-tourists willing to visit the country. :welcomeani:

Your dreaming if you think tourists would come to a dry country in big numbers. What is a real tourist anyway.

9 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Me too, never seen that though, quite a serious crime from what I hear.  Is it much cheaper?  Its cheap enough!

I don't know about the price of it .i only see some locals buying it.and I've seen what it does to them.it's not good for you that's for sure

11 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Severely overpriced, esp when wages are taken into consideration. The disparity between quality and value for money has to be one of the biggest in the world. Let's face it, the 'beer' here is now worse than ever since the doctoring of recipes over the last few years. Vast, eye-popping choice aside, I am consistently flummoxed when I return home and compare the price of supermarket beer with here. Just mind-boggling.

"overpriced", "disparity between quality and value"

Compared to where????????

2 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Beer is not cheap here. It is much the same as UK prices and in comparison to the average income it is very expensive.

Kii is cheap everywhere.

oh, I didn't know that, well <deleted> over? learn something useless every day it seems.

I've cut back on my alcohol consumption recently (for waistline reasons, not financial) but if this goes through I'm pretty sure I'll just be drinking water from here on in. 

This could end up in many bars and restaurants closing down. 

Expect the beer shelves to be empty in all the supermarkets and 7/11's soon, as panic buying sets in.

That's if people really believe that a bottle of Chang will soon cost only slightly less than the equivalent amount of local wine.

I think someone is setting us up for an April Fool's joke.

Only fools don't think alcohol selling in Thailand isn't over priced, I am now at bar and I chat with the owner he said he makes about 1 million baht a month and he says it is not like before.   He pays rent and has about 7 staff and one live musician every night and has to pay for beverages, your guys do the math! But remember it's in Thailand.

10 hours ago, DM07 said:

Yup...that will happen!

NOT!

If it will, you can close down whole entertainment areas...and I am not only talking about Patpong and Nana!

Asiatique, RCA, many local bars, restaurants...

But in the end, it will be the fault of the pesky "farang kee nok", who are not willing to pay the prices!

Farang kee nok or not, somchai sixpack can not afford a substantial increase unless they intend to give discounts to thai people and charge national park-like practices.... 

15 hours ago, Spellforce said:

That news in thai:

http://me.upyim.co/14138/

I understand that this new tax will be applied only to the wholesalers (maybe for 1000 bottles or liters?),

and there wont be any change on the retail price.

Dream on of course the wholesalers will charge more if they have to pay more, like everybody else in retail.

5 hours ago, redwinecheese said:

Only fools don't think alcohol selling in Thailand isn't over priced, I am now at bar and I chat with the owner he said he makes about 1 million baht a month and he says it is not like before.   He pays rent and has about 7 staff and one live musician every night and has to pay for beverages, your guys do the math! But remember it's in Thailand.

Did he try to sell his bar to you?

9 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Beer is not cheap here. It is much the same as UK prices and in comparison to the average income it is very expensive.

Kii is cheap everywhere.

Disagree that it is much the same as UK prices here, in most parts of the country it is still comfortably below two quid a pint even at current exchange rates. I am talking bar prices not supermarket or 7. But I agree that compared to the average income it is pricey, beer drinking (while increasing in popularity) is still a minority thing for Thais, the cheap whisky is still the drink for most.

Outside of Bangkok and the resorts draught beer is dearer than bottles which confuses me. One place I go in had draught Leo for 180 a litre and 630ml bottles at 70. As our American cousins say "go figure".

50 minutes ago, jcisco said:

I've also seen it made in vast quantities in clay vases, here in BKK. 

You can't make a spirit in a clay vase, it has to be distilled, I think what you are seeing is the infusions people make where they take Lao Khao and soak herbs or fruit in it.

23 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Yes everything is relative. When I spend my time in Vietnam I get 2 crates of 455ml beer delivered to the door of my home on the back of a motorbike. Two crates x 24 bottles each = 48 = 300,000 VND TOTAL = US$13.2 = 460 THB = 9.6 THB/bottle. Or a bottle of 330ml Halida in a local sidewalk cafe 25 THB.

Or a 700ml bottle of Jamieson Irish whisky at a nearby BigC at the equivalent of 580THB. No tax or duty on beer and spirits in Vietnam; only wine to try to protect their own wine industry. The government tries to keep the punters happy and expats and tourists get the spin off. 

Is the cost of living in Vietnam in line with cheaper drink prices , e.g. food , accommodation  , entertainment , visas etc ?  Have you ever lived in Thailand so as to give an opinion on the comparables ?

6 minutes ago, superal said:

Is the cost of living in Vietnam in line with cheaper drink prices , e.g. food , accommodation  , entertainment , visas etc ?  Have you ever lived in Thailand so as to give an opinion on the comparables ?

Yes is the short answer. I have lived in both countries for the past ten or so years but mostly nowadays in Vietnam for personal preferences, (modest older style condo in Bang Kapi, BKK 6,000 THB/mth and a large villa house 4 beds, 3 bath, not far from Hanoi 15,000 THB/mth) I would say overall the cost of living in Vietnam is at least 50% cheaper than Thailand. Good hotel in Hanoi for 800 THB/night. The only thing that might be more expensive than Thailand would be home leasing and even then it would not seriously more.

Food at the local markets is next to nothing. e.g. tomatoes 30 THB/kg, large cauliflower 45 THB, apples 100 THB/kg, pork and chicken is dirt cheap, lean beef mince at BigC 200 THB/kg. 

As for visas; Thailand is a nightmare while Vietnam is dream. Just got my marriage exemption visa for five years - US$10. First renewal due at the local office after 6 months and thereafter every 12 months. Very little paperwork to get the visa and no going in and out for extensions/annual renewals and no providing of evidence of money in the bank or income. Twelve month, no strings multiple entry visas can be had through an agent for about US200-250. Employment visas easy.

Entertainment is an personal thing. There are no Pattayas or Nanas or Walking Streets (that I know of anyway) but plenty of excellent restaurants and bars. In my opinion Vietnam is basically violence free and a much safer country to live in (no face loss problems like Thailand) and certainly no guns or knives. Any local causing trouble/assault on foreigners is in deep, deep trouble. Never any hassles from the police or authorities who are always very respectful. A very friendly people. 

Mr BIG, you hit the nail on the head.

How are they going to tax Lao Khao which has a very high  alcohol  content & kills thousands of Thais a year

with liver & kidney disease through abuse.I have lost 3 Thai mates) It still remains dirt cheap.

Cannot see the logic but the producers of this poison must be concerned as the village drunks should be.

I look forward to seeing a large price increase in the price of Lao Khao.

As to the local ale I enjoy Chang Draught & Tiger Light so I will not be a Farang moaner.