Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

For those wondering what's going into Pantip Plaza

lordblackader

Pantip was a sleepy warehouse, maybe it's a good move. Existing businesses are moved up the floors and the fastfood chains and BigC may drive more people coming there, good for everybody. Parking wise it's a gem in the city anyway, just nobody knows.

9 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Pantip was a sleepy warehouse, maybe it's a good move. Existing businesses are moved up the floors and the fastfood chains and BigC may drive more people coming there, good for everybody. Parking wise it's a gem in the city anyway, just nobody knows.

Not so much of a gem now parking wise, was in there yesterday when I grabbed this picture, about 1pm and no car parks upstairs and people fighting downstairs to grab one. I know they have spillover in the Wat across the road but if it becomes too popular....we'll in my case I'll just have to walk instead :) 

19 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Why start a new subject/topic when you clearly acknowledge this matter is covered in earlier posts?

which was a couple of weeks old and this is new, actual information versus speculation. But hey, lets discourage people from posting to Thaivisa's Chiang Mai forum, because it's so extremely active at the moment... :)

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

It's not new information. Read my post re their arrival.

I went back 3 pages, I couldn't find the original post. I commented on it myself ~2 weeks ago.

But hey, perhaps only your posts are valid here? Seriously mate, go find something constructive to do, I was just trying to help on a follow up on a thread I'd read previously, it's people like you that drive people like me away from Thaivisa because you've got nothing better to do each day other than to criticize others...but fortunately I'm a bit a more stubborn :)

There is so much empty retail space in that area .

Directly across the road opposite Oishi, 

The whole area behind McDonalds

And the area inside the Meridein 

And the whole five story building where Pizza .

I dont see why they do not put all the night market stalls in there

They begin setting the market stalls up at 1 PM and finish putting them away at 8 AM in the morning .

May as well, just give them permanent residence

When the Pantip Plaza was being built, so long ago now I can`t remember the year, I was told by friends, this is going to be a boon, it will transform Chiang Mai into the technological centre of Thailand. And when it`s opening day arrived, it become obvious that the Pantip Plaza was a non-starter right from the very beginning and all during the many years it has been open,  it never took off and can`t see much hope for it in the foreseeable future. I really cannot see any reasons to keep that place going.

54 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

When the Pantip Plaza was being built, so long ago now I can`t remember the year, I was told by friends, this is going to be a boon, it will transform Chiang Mai into the technological centre of Thailand.

As I said on the previous thread Pantip was designed as an hotel and laid dormant for some time before becoming the 'Computer' Plaza.

At first it did seem to do quite well but these small shop units selling new computers cannot compete with the large multiplex outlets.  Even 'IT City' which had most of one of the upper floors of KSK and a large area of Pantip is now reduced to standard shop unit sizes in both locations.

Only the small repair type outlets there have any real chance of success.

Hence the Pantip move to being a tourist hub or whatever it thinks it will become.

3 hours ago, MadMac said:

That may be because parking is in the basement :)

There's parking upstairs at the back, drive up Sridonchai and turn right past the Changklan Road intersection and turn immediately right then right again. But what would I know, I only went to Thai school there for 2 years, only been in my neighbourhood for longer. 

Would you like a picture from Google Maps  to show you?

Edit: sorry MadMac: not trying to be harsh to you, you actual contribution has been positive on the whole vs some others. Yeah, the back carpark exists. I've been parking there for 4 years but it's now too hard to get into. 

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Does not explain why not just add to the previous threads.
And thanks for the unwanted personal comments.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Kind of actually explains why you think your ~week to 2 week old thread should be the only one on the subject. Grandpa, seriously, the way the internet and forums such as this work is we start new threats, not on clearly 1-3 days old threads on the front page, but on subjects previously discussed.

Get over it, seriously mate. Your position is sad that you think a new thread on a topic you started on weeks ago shouldn't happen. 

46 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

.... the way the internet and forums such as this work is we start new threats, not on clearly 1-3 days old threads on the front page, but on subjects previously discussed.

Clearly you don't understand how this forum works.

Rain. 124 pages of rain, from 2009 and still going this month.

Mods, please merge this thread with the other. Its getting awfully untidy in here.

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

As I said on the previous thread Pantip was designed as an hotel and laid dormant for some time before becoming the 'Computer' Plaza.

At first it did seem to do quite well but these small shop units selling new computers cannot compete with the large multiplex outlets.  Even 'IT City' which had most of one of the upper floors of KSK and a large area of Pantip is now reduced to standard shop unit sizes in both locations.

Only the small repair type outlets there have any real chance of success.

Hence the Pantip move to being a tourist hub or whatever it thinks it will become.

Back in the not so distant past most people were using PCs. With the PCs came all their accessories that included, replaceable parts, cables, separate webcams, separate monitors, separate speakers, floppy disks, floppy disk drives, DVD drives internal and external, DVDs and CDS, software and too many more to mention on here.

This provided a roaring trade for the retailers and stores such as the Computer Plaza, Computer City, IT City, Pantip Plaza and many more that had sprung up all over Chiang Mai. Nowadays hardly anyone uses CDs and DVDs any more, and since most people are now using laptops, Iphones, notebooks and tablets that are mainly built in with everything and disposables, the retail outlets that were geared up for the PC market either went out of business or scaled down. This is why malls like the Pantip Plaza and Computer Plaza could not continue in their past formats and their futures are doomed I`m afraid.

17 hours ago, lordblackader said:

which was a couple of weeks old and this is new, actual information versus speculation. But hey, lets discourage people from posting to Thaivisa's Chiang Mai forum, because it's so extremely active at the moment... :)

Hmmmmmmm  new info? Not hardly. The other post:

Has this posted in it on Feb 12th:

" KFC have put up posters inside Pantip say that they are moving in soon. "

15 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Edit: sorry MadMac: not trying to be harsh to you, you actual contribution has been positive on the whole vs some others. Yeah, the back carpark exists. I've been parking there for 4 years but it's now too hard to get into. 

nah...it's ok, was just making some fun out of it, Pantip parking is actually only in the basement but there are plenty of other options around. A good place to park :D

On 2/28/2017 at 0:14 PM, MadMac said:

Pantip parking is actually only in the basement 

Not really... The best parking IMO is outside on the corner before turning into the basement. I always park there when an opening is available and mot times there is.

On 2/27/2017 at 9:35 PM, naboo said:

Clearly you don't understand how this forum works.

Rain. 124 pages of rain, from 2009 and still going this month.

Mods, please merge this thread with the other. Its getting awfully untidy in here.

Does that make it right though? It doesn't, and it's not the end of the world that I started a new thread, indeed I'd think, given how much the CM subforum on Thaivisa has declined in the last ~2 years that the owners of the site would encourage more people to contribute.

People like you though are a good part of the problem. I came here to contribute positively, and yet I'm howled down, yet again (not the first time) by geriatrics who don't like those who are new (and by new I mean I've had an account here for less then 5 years) trying to positively contribute here. 

I actually like Thaivisa, I really do despite its appalling reputation in most of the expat community, because it's a great source for news, visa information and even occasionally CM news I may have otherwise missed. But it has people, like you, who are retired, facing death in a couple of years, who hate new members and people like me and do everything they can to drive people they don't like away. 

Grandpa, seriously, I respect that you're old, but get over yourself. 

4 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Does that make it right though? It doesn't, and it's not the end of the world that I started a new thread, indeed I'd think, given how much the CM subforum on Thaivisa has declined in the last ~2 years that the owners of the site would encourage more people to contribute.

People like you though are a good part of the problem. I came here to contribute positively, and yet I'm howled down, yet again (not the first time) by geriatrics who don't like those who are new (and by new I mean I've had an account here for less then 5 years) trying to positively contribute here. 

I actually like Thaivisa, I really do despite its appalling reputation in most of the expat community, because it's a great source for news, visa information and even occasionally CM news I may have otherwise missed. But it has people, like you, who are retired, facing death in a couple of years, who hate new members and people like me and do everything they can to drive people they don't like away. 

Well, that's the first time I've been called Grandpa.

Thaivisa is a good source of information. Having multiple threads on topics makes it less of a good source of information. Keeping topics in one place makes it easy to find that information.

I don't see how having multiple threads on the same topic is going to revive Thaivisa. It has been very well destroyed by the new owners. 

5 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Do not worry about just carry on there are a few here who have no sense of humor, I have been called a troll on this site, which had ramifications on a serious site I wanted to join for the information. People post on here calling people names and a few other things without regard to what is actually going on. Just gleam what info you can and move on.

11 hours ago, naboo said:

Thaivisa is a good source of information. Having multiple threads on topics makes it less of a good source of information. Keeping topics in one place makes it easy to find that information

My point exactly with my first post on this 3rd version of the thread. Not only that but by the OP (on this version of the thread) making reference to comments in the previous thread without a link to the thread makes it doubly irritating.

It does of course help the Posting count for TV as duplicate comments and replies are made that would not have been required or wanted had we just had the one thread.

I went there today for the first time and was very disappointed  due to the shear amount of empty shops in the place.  The ones that are left seem rather seedy and I don't think I'd want to but from them anyway.  Probably best for the remaining businesses to find new premises and pull the whole thing down.

2 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

I went there today for the first time and was very disappointed  due to the shear amount of empty shops in the place.  The ones that are left seem rather seedy and I don't think I'd want to but from them anyway.  Probably best for the remaining businesses to find new premises and pull the whole thing down.

It is under renovation. Give it 12 months and let see what we get. I would rather it stay open as at the moment we have two big assets in the building for those that live in the area.  Bangkok Bank and BigC.

Archived