Retirement Visa

I read this forum before going to Immigration because I hoped to be able to make a contribution. I cannot say for what reason the Retirement visa was introduced but I don't think it was to facilitate a one year exention of visa for anything other than living out your life. My first stamp said "end of life" with "Retirement" in English, now the stamp has "Retirement" in English only. I am over sixty but still prefer the English. If you are lucky enough to have retired at fifty with sufficient pension, then you don't need any money in the bank. I tried to get the reason for the three month deposited but it was not easy because I felt that the official did not want to commit in English. My reading of the situation is on first application you need to apply after a period when they can check your expenditure, so if 800,000 was there three months previously at was ok, when I suggested that the sum on appplication would be less three months expendtiture, she was cagey. Another "Smart Ass" ? (my translation). I say three months which is interpreted as 90 days, it will of course be less because otherwise your visa would have expired, already we are reading between the lines. If you have spent a reasonable amount then it can be assumed that you are not earning in Thailand, how retirees with a pension are checked I know not. So to sum up; you need, A valid passport with valid a Non-Immigrant visa, a bank account which you use with 800,000 Baht balance three months before you apply, (and at the time of application, to be safe) a letter from the bank authenticating this account, a passbook for the account, a TM application form (which you get from them) photocopies of all pages of all books with relevent entries. I did see an official website from Immigration and this list is incomplete, but was all that was wanted last Thursday. I hope this will be useful to new readers of this forum who may be confused. It is my opinion that not earnng in Thailand is the important point and this, I presume because someone has been caught cheating.

If you are using the bank deposit, and are not already on an extension of stay, the 3 month rule is strictly enforced. This is to prevent borrowing of the money for show and remove that has happened in the past. The account does not need to be used and indeed investment type fixed accounts are often approved but as said it does make it easier to judge the merits if there is a record of deposits. For those already in the system believe they are being told to have 3 month record next time (or, if account shows frequent transfers, not to worry about it).

There will always be a requirement for "bank letter" and it must agree with the last passbook entry and should be current within the week. Copies of passport data page, visa page, entry page and any extensions plus arrival card. Copies of bank passbook. 4x6cm photos current within 6 months (digital prints are OK). TM.7 form that can be downloaded an computer filled or that supplied by office (but note Nong Khai has been telling people official form from Bangkok Immigration web site is not acceptable to them and you must use there copy). Cost is 1,900 baht. If you plan travel it is a good idea to obtain re entry permit immediately after at cost of 1,000 baht for single or 3,800 for multi.

If you use income/pension you will also require letter from your Embassy and be able to present supporting documents to immigration.