How painful is cataract surgery?

yimlitnoy

13 hours ago, James2020 said:

I'm an ophthalmologist who specialized in cataract surgery in the US and retired 6 years ago.  I live in BKK part time with my Thai wife of 12 years.   I'm a reader of this forum, and have benefited from the information in it, so I'm happy to contribute to it.

It's true that cataract surgery is one of the most frequent operations done worldwide.  Although it's a difficult operation to do, the frequency with which it's done makes most eye surgeons quite good at it, and thus an easy procedure for the patient. 

To answer the OP's question, there is no reason to have pain during the procedure, and stress can be handled well.  Most patients report that it was "easy".  Your doctor should be able to explain what to expect.  With some variation, all surgeons do the procedure in a similar way.  Depending on your surgeon's preferences, you may not experience what others on this forum have described, so talk to your surgeon.  I used to tell my patients that there is about one chance in a thousand of seeing worse after the operation, and nearly a 100% chance of the vision gradually getting worse without surgery, so those are pretty good odds.

Then you are the best person to ask for advises. 

I had 3 retinal detachments and finally one cataract surgery on the other eye and one large retinal detachment in 1986 on the eye soon to be operated for the cataract.  I am therefore a high risk for another retinal detachment following the cataract surgery but as you say 100% chance of the vision gradually getting worse without surgery...  

What the surgeon can or will do to minimize the risks of complication?  I am 66.  Any advise?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

Then you are the best person to ask for advises. 

I had 3 retinal detachments and finally one cataract surgery on the other eye and one large retinal detachment in 1986 on the eye soon to be operated for the cataract.  I am therefore a high risk for another retinal detachment following the cataract surgery but as you say 100% chance of the vision gradually getting worse without surgery...  

What the surgeon can or will do to minimize the risks of complication?  I am 66.  Any advise?

It would be foolish of me to try to advise you on this website.  There are so many factors involved in your situation.  The best advice I can give is to go to a doctor that you are comfortable with.  Certainly there are exceptions, but I'm partial to those in their early 40's to early 50's who have some experience, but not looking at retirement yet.  Pick someone who does several hundred surgeries a year - most doctors will tell you if you ask.  There is no question that experience counts.  The cheapest is probably not the best.  Thailand has many competent eye surgeons, even outside of Bangkok, and there is no reason to go back to your home country unless you are more comfortable there.  Chances are you'll do just fine.

21 hours ago, Catoni said:

I would definitely want to be knocked out when they operate on my eye.     Being awake and conscious for that ? ?  

No thanks ! !   I would freak out !     I would rather be awake for open heart surgery.  

All of my patients had IV sedation, which can be adjusted to each individual, so some patients can be kept more alert, and others more sedated.  Many times the patient was surprised that the procedure was over.  Some have no recollection of the procedure at all.  In Thailand, the doctors are less likely to use it, so it's worth asking about.  The operation can certainly be done with just topical anesthesia or a retrobulbar block, but most patients appreciate the IV sedation.  There is no need for general anesthesia (and its risks) unless the patient is totally uncooperative, probably one patient out of a thousand.

On 1/3/2560 at 2:17 PM, ketherin said:

Go and see Dr Somchai @ Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, he's one of the world's leading eye surgeon's for a procedure called supersight.

Yer I had mine done with Somchai about 5 years ago..... & I have a pain tolerance of a big girls blouse --but it really was an easy thing to do, much better than a visit to the dentist IMO

The most painful part was the payment--- I think if I had to redo it, I would visit Rutnin Hospital BKK, been quite impressed with them--when gone in with friends,

http://www.rutnin.com/2016/eng/about.php

On 3/1/2017 at 2:32 PM, Naam said:

there's nothing to be scared of! i started snoring several times and was reprimanded "please stay awake Sir!"

yes , yes dat's da ticket , no problemo , had it done 3 times in each eye ... yea dat's it ...3 times .

I had cataract surgery 4 years ago. It was one of the most painful experiences that I ever had. The doctor said he almost stopped the surgery because I was having such difficulty but could not explain the pain.

A year later I figured why it was so painful. It was the bright lights shining into my eye. I then remembered  that even the eye exams had caused me discomfort..

The eye I had operated on is so light sensitive that I cannot go outdoors without sunglasses or covering my eye. 

Actually after IOL it is normal for your eye to be extremely light sensitive (if you are talking about after the operation) and require you to use sunglasses.  Also colors are much more vivid in my experience (although that seems to go away or mind just gets used to it).  I still need sunglasses after several years - although can ride in back seat of taxi without these days.

No, my eyes were sensitive to light BEFORE  the operation, so having my eye clamped open and an extremely bright operating light was causing me extreme pain.  But I guess I just fall into that 1% of people that have a problem with the operation.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally I had the cataract surgery yesterday, it took less than 7 min and it was completely painless.  I only had drops on the eye for 30 min before the surgery and 2 valium.  No pain whatsoever and I could talk with the surgeon as long as I stayed immobile.  Tomorrow I will know the exact vision results but I think it will be 20/20 as I never had such a good vision before.  My only regret was not to have done this 20 years ago...  THB65,000 by a surgeon with 5000 operations to her credit.  I am now on antibiotics for a few weeks.

5 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

Finally I had the cataract surgery yesterday, it took less than 7 min and it was completely painless.  I only had drops on the eye for 30 min before the surgery and 2 valium.  No pain whatsoever and I could talk with the surgeon as long as I stayed immobile.  Tomorrow I will know the exact vision results but I think it will be 20/20 as I never had such a good vision before.  My only regret was not to have done this 20 years ago...  THB65,000 by a surgeon with 5000 operations to her credit.  I am now on antibiotics for a few weeks.

Told you ... :>)

Thanks for getting back to us.