Chaos, confusion, confrontation and conning...Pattaya Immigration

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think they are not asking for the TM30 from those that are on extensions of stay because don't consider a entry using re-entry permit as a new entry. It is a continuation of an entry you did long ago. If you were to change addresses then they would want one when you moved.

Yes, I can see logic in that. Though I have actually spent some nights in hotels here since I originally did my first retirement extension.

11 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Yes, I can see logic in that. Though I have actually spent some nights in hotels here since I originally did my first retirement extension.

A stay in hotel is not considered a change of address at most immigration offices. Most don't bother to check if you had been reported when staying in a hotel and etc. They have to go into a database for those reports since it does not appear on the primary database they look at when doing something at immigration.

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Maybe it is the naysayers who should be listened to, at least regarding their experiences in their own situation?

I went there this week. I got a re-entry permit and did my 90-day reporting. No one asked me for anything at all related to TM28s or TM30s or registration. I have never registered.

Now I dont know why this should be but I suspect that it has something to do with me being a home-owner rather that a tenant or guest.

I'm also a home owner but a TM30 was required when I wanted an extension of stay.

On 3/2/2017 at 10:17 AM, JackThompson said:

By obtaining 1-year Multi-Entry Non-O Visas at a Thai Consulate, instead of using extensions.  This can be either based on Marriage, from Savanahkhet, or based on Retirement, at Penang (proof of 800K in a bank in *any* country or Embassy-letter proving income).  The latter is what I plan to do when I turn 50, if the option still exists. 

Penang website says 200k needed for non-O over 50

11 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Penang website says 200k needed for non-O over 50

Could you post a link to that info.

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Is that for a single or a multiple?  I just attempted to look, but the "English" button seems to be missing in my browser.

There is no English button on the Penang website. There is also no visa application requirements on the site. When you click on visas it takes you to the department of consular affairs website.

On 3/2/2017 at 4:22 PM, dbrenn said:

Does this silly rule also apply to Thailand Elite visa holders? 

Yes (Chiang Mai). I have Elite card/ PE Visa and own my Condominium. 

I don't think the rule is silly. I think starting enforcing it suddenly without warning 

or grace period collecting 1600 baht from all and sundry  is somewhat suspect. It created a chaotic situation last year.

Two people I spoke to directly had to travel to Laso/overseas for new Visa suddenly because their landlords were unavailable 

or unwilling to comply at short notice.

Myself working outside Thailand and traveling constantly I don't have any reason to go to Immigration.

I would not have known of the requirement except last year Thailand Elite members were notified by email bulletin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Is that for a single or a multiple?  I just attempted to look, but the "English" button seems to be missing in my browser.

Isn't it that only the embassy in KL can nowadays issue any sort of multiple-entry Visas and non-o-multiple are to be eradicated entirely anyway as the Thai gov wants to push foreigners into the "1-year-extension-of-stay" rat race ?

4 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

Isn't it that only the embassy in KL can nowadays issue any sort of multiple-entry Visas and non-o-multiple are to be eradicated entirely anyway as the Thai gov wants to push foreigners into the "1-year-extension-of-stay" rat race ?

KL does not issue any multiple entry visas.

You are confusing official Thai consulates with honorary Thai consulates that have had their ability to issue multiple entry visa taken away in some countries.

Penang, Savannakhet and Kota Bharu are official consulates.

There is no policy to eliminate multiple entry visas.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

KL does not issue any multiple entry visas.

You are confusing official Thai consulates with honorary Thai consulates that have had their ability to issue multiple entry visa taken away in some countries.

Penang, Savannakhet and Kota Bharu are official consulates.

There is no policy to eliminate multiple entry visas.

Thanks for clarification, I was not aware that Penang is an official consulate. Still. I heard from many that have been denied non-O-multiple recently (in Europe) and have been told to get a single non-O and then apply for a "extension of stay" while in Thailand.

5 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

Yes (Chiang Mai). I have Elite card/ PE Visa and own my Condominium. 

I don't think the rule is silly. I think starting enforcing it suddenly without warning 

or grace period collecting 1600 baht from all and sundry  is somewhat suspect. It created a chaotic situation last year.

Two people I spoke to directly had to travel to Laso/overseas for new Visa suddenly because their landlords were unavailable 

or unwilling to comply at short notice.

Myself working outside Thailand and traveling constantly I don't have any reason to go to Immigration.

I would not have known of the requirement except last year Thailand Elite members were notified by email bulletin.

All these ridiculous rules that serve no useful purpose whatsoever. Are they considering a mass roundup, to the extent where they have to know where foreigners are all the time?

The Thai military xenophobes really do seem to be trying to get rid of foreigners, step by step. And they don't seem to care about the consequences of doing so.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2017 at 9:35 AM, ubonjoe said:

Could you post a link to that info.

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1287/19765-ประเภทและหลักเกณฑ์เกี่ยวกับการตรวจลงตราประเภทต่าง.html#NonImmigrantVisa

การเข้ามาเพื่อใช้ชีวิตในฐานะผู้สูงอายุ  (รหัส  O)
-  ผู้ร้องต้องมีอายุตั้งแต่ 50 ปีบริบูรณ์ขึ้นไป ระบุวัตถุประสงค์ว่าจะขอเข้ามาใช้ชีวิตในฐานะผู้สูงอายุหรือเกษียณ และจะไม่ทำงานในระหว่างพำนักในไทย
- หลักฐานแสดงฐานะทางการเงินหรือหลักฐานการได้รับเงินบำนาญ  
  (ต้องมีเงินฝากไม่น้อยกว่า 200,000 บาท หรือมีรายได้/บำนาญไม่น้อยกว่าเดือนละ 65,000 บาท) 
 (หมายเหตุ 

11 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1287/19765- categories and rules on visa types. html # NonImmigrantVisa.

The coming to life in the elderly (Code O)
- the claimant must be 50 years of age or over. The stated purpose was to seek to live as the elderly or retired. And will not work during a stay in Thailand
- proof of financial status or proof of receiving a pension.  
  (Must have a deposit of not less than 200,000 Baht, or an income / pension of not less than 65,000 baht per month) 
 (Note. 

You cannot go by that info as an actual requirement to get a visa in Penang. That is from the department of consular affairs website.

It is also incorrect the requirement is 800k baht. 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot go by that info as an actual requirement to get a visa in Penang. That is from the department of consular affairs website.

It is also incorrect the requirement is 800k baht. 

Don't the embassies have to follow the regulations of the department of consular affairs??

It also goes on to say that the non-O can be extended by 1 year in Thailand with the requirement of 800k in the bank.

So it does not look to be incorrect. 200k for a 3 month stay, 800k for 1 year.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Don't the embassies have to follow the regulations of the department of consular affairs??

It also goes on to say that the non-O can be extended by 1 year in Thailand with the requirement of 800k in the bank.

So it does not look to be incorrect. 200k for a 3 month stay, 800k for 1 year.

Embassies and consulates often set their own requirements. Plenty of examples of that.

I can assure you that Penang will not issue a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over with only 200k baht in the bank. They want 800k baht and proof you are retired which a income letter from your embassy will satisfy

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Embassies and consulates often set their own requirements. Plenty of examples of that.

I can assure you that Penang will not issue a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over with only 200k baht in the bank. They want 800k baht and proof you are retired which a income letter from your embassy will satisfy

Isn't the income letter only required if you are applying under the 65k income option, not the 800k lump sum in the bank option?

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Isn't the income letter only required if you are applying under the 65k income option, not the 800k lump sum in the bank option?

Not in Penang to get the visa. It is needed there to prove you are retired which is one of ther requirements. I would not need to show 65k baht income. If you could something else from your embassy to prove your are retired it would be accepted.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not in Penang to get the visa. It is needed there to prove you are retired which is one of ther requirements. I would not need to show 65k baht income. If you could something else from your embassy to prove your are retired it would be accepted.

I'm not retired though!

I spent most of this winter in Philippines and went to immigration here yesterday and it was straightforward, friendly, professional, and this went not only for myself, but for foreigners doing every type of visa.  The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly.

I miss Thailand after spending many winters there, but I feel a lot more welcome here in the Philippines for the time being.

• Like 1

I remember the upset when the 90 day reports were insisted upon, it was a cumbersome, time consuming procedure. It took some time but eventually Immigration got organized and it became less onerous. I am not so sure about what is going on here though. It appears that the section 38 rule is being applied to foreigners with the section 37 fine being levied. also I get the impression that it is that it appears to be applied selectively. It wouldn't be surprising if your treatment was governed by your reason for being in country. The Immigration Act Chapter 3 rule 34 enumerates the reasons for admitting people (3) is tourists, max stay 90 days extendable if proved necessary. Retirees are (15) 'other' max stay one year, extendable if able to meet the conditions laid down by the Chief of Police. The length of stay and conditions are in the gift of the Chief of Police they are not laws, non compliance is not a crime.
Do people not think it possible that Immigration find it odd that 'tourists' own homes in Thailand and spend most of their time here? Is it possible that Immigration might feel justified in treating them differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I remember the upset when the 90 day reports were insisted upon, it was a cumbersome, time consuming procedure. It took some time but eventually Immigration got organized and it became less onerous. I am not so sure about what is going on here though. It appears that the section 38 rule is being applied to foreigners with the section 37 fine being levied. also I get the impression that it is that it appears to be applied selectively. It wouldn't be surprising if your treatment was governed by your reason for being in country. The Immigration Act Chapter 3 rule 34 enumerates the reasons for admitting people (3) is tourists, max stay 90 days extendable if proved necessary. Retirees are (15) 'other' max stay one year, extendable if able to meet the conditions laid down by the Chief of Police. The length of stay and conditions are in the gift of the Chief of Police they are not laws, non compliance is not a crime.
Do people not think it possible that Immigration find it odd that 'tourists' own homes in Thailand and spend most of their time here? Is it possible that Immigration might feel justified in treating them differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

"Do people not think it possible that Immigration find it odd that 'tourists' own homes in Thailand and spend most of their time here? Is it possible that Immigration might feel justified in treating them differently."

I don't know: If someone has a valid visa, they have a valid visa. Any argument to the contrary is as senseless as arguing black is white, and white no colour at all.

I had a similar problem to the ones reported at Pattaya.  I moved to Surat Thani on a retirement visa.  When renewal time came, I had all this bother because the new address was not registered on their system.  I think this is really about as far as we need to look.  It's a one time thing, thereafter there's not much bother.

• Like 1

So if I go from my family home in Sattahip Chonburi where I am registered on Yellow House Book to stay at my wife other home in Sakaeo province and stay there for 3 nights I have to report this to Jomtien Immigration when I return within 24 hours.I am living her on a o/a retirement visa

Edited by Davejf2017
more details

24 minutes ago, Davejf2017 said:

So if I go from my family home in Sattahip Chonburi where I am registered on Yellow House Book to stay at my wife other home in Sakaeo province and stay there for 3 nights I have to report this to Jomtien Immigration when I return within 24 hours.I am living her on a o/a retirement visa

In reality no. Immigration would have no way of knowing you had done it. That is why immigration does not bother trying to enforce it.

The discussion here is mostly for the those staying in hotels and who have just entered the country.

I haven't stayed in a hotel in Thailand since Jan 2016 . But I have left the country a few times. And have only gone to immigration to extend my visa. I have what I think is TM30 slip in my passport dated March 2016. Do you think I will be finned?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, juice777 said:

I haven't stayed in a hotel in Thailand since Jan 2016 . But I have left the country a few times. And have only gone to immigration to extend my visa. I have what I think is TM30 slip in my passport dated March 2016. Do you think I will be finned?

That depends upon the immigration office you go to.

At Pattaya you might be fined since you have left and re-entered the country.