Penguin Random House lands book deal with Obamas

webfact

Penguin Random House lands book deal with Obamas

REUTERS

r8a.jpg

File Photo U.S. President Barack Obama gestures to himself as he and First Lady Michelle Obama await the arrival of Chinese President Xi Jinping and Madame Peng Liyuan, for a State Dinner at the White House, in Washington, September 25, 2015. REUTERS/Mike Theiler/File Photo

(Reuters) - Penguin Random House has landed a deal to publish two forthcoming books by former U.S. President Barack Obama and the former first lady, Michelle Obama, with one volume to be written by each, the publishing company said on Tuesday.

Terms of the agreement, in which Penguin Random House acquired worldwide publication rights for the two books, were not disclosed.

But in keeping with their past practice, the Obamas plan to donate a "significant portion of their author proceeds to charity," including the Obama Foundation, the publisher said in a statement announcing the deal.

The deal followed a heated auction for global rights to the two books with bidding that reached more than $60 million, a record sum for U.S. presidential memoirs, the Financial Times reported, citing people with knowledge of the sales process.

Penguin Random House published the former president's three previous books -- "Dreams of My Father," "The Audacity of Hope," "Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters."

The company did not disclose the subject matter of the two forthcoming books, or a time frame for them to be published.

(Reporting by Piya Sinha-Roy and Steve Gorman in Los Angeles; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-01

All smiles yes a 60 million dollar payday and that is just for starters. The presidency was the baby steps leading up to this and other money makers in the pipeline name on corporate letterheads etc. consulting the list is endless. I read that O'bama's earnings will peak at about 300 million and that ain't chump change. For the sake of disclosure I liked the O'bama's some things he did. I did not agree with a few he did. You can call him a self made man if you wish but I call it just politics in its finest form. On the other end of the scale Wendy's is installing a 1000 robots to take your order and that is for starters. More people thrown into poverty and life goes on. 

Edited by elgordo38

They both needed to put ink to paper? I'm far from sure why I should want to read Michelle Obama's memoirs, never mind at such a hefty price tag. 

I suppose now her mother will want to add her six pennorth, to subsidise her taxpayer-funded pension. 

11 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Get ready to read a pack of lies, in my opinion the largest ever scam perpetrated on the voting public.

You are not obligated to read it.   I am sure it will be more truthful than anything that the current President could write, provided he can actually write.