Australian Pension how do you make up the shortfall ?

1 hour ago, gkroo said:

Zerostar,if I was you I would carefully check the Aust pension rules because I am to believe that you are not entitled to a pension now if you do not reside within Aust ???

Sorry but you do qualify for an Australian age pension irrigardless of weather you live in Australia or overseas.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I'm not trying to be clever......but shortage of money affects many people in lots of different ways in life and disables them from doing many things they wish they could do.  The question just sounded a bit odd to me.

It would probably be helpful if you quoted or otherwise indicated the question to which you refer.

I don't think the O/P said anything about a shortage of money, just that the provable income he has from his pension would fall below the Baht 65,000 a month. He might have other sources of income or even a few million tucked away in an Aussie bank.

• Like 1

best wishes with this I have no easy answers but before I came I saved and made sure i had the 800,000 as a 'sunk cost' which i never touch from day one - not helpful i know but... that's what you should have done - good luck anyway

2 hours ago, Aussie69 said:

Yes you need to apply for a portable pension, which I believe is hard to attain/justify.

If you are living in Australia now and apply for the pension you should be OK. If you have been living in Thailand or some such place for some length of time and return to Australia to apply for the pension you will find it difficult to get without certain qualifications.

45 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Wrong! What's a limited time? Because I've been here collecting the pension for nearly 8 years, am I about to run out of time?

Aussie69 is not wrong. if you read his comments correctly. Many Australians living in Thailand who reach pension age and then return to Australia to apply for the pension will usually get bad news. Aussie69 is not referring to those like yourself who has already had their pension approved and now living overseas.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

Sorry but you do qualify for an Australian age pension irrigardless of weather you live in Australia or overseas.

50 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes, quite a few Aussies were residing in Thailand prior to turning 65, totally unaware that they had to return to Australia for 2 years to qualify for the pension. It was quite a blow.

Quite correct. Many comments here from people who are not familiar with the new rules.

2 hours ago, NorK said:

Ubonjoe is correct. I am an Australian living in Thailand on the Australian Age pension and it is exactly as he describes.  Outside Australia, assuming you are entitled to the full pension,  you will currently get $820.60 per fortnight ($21,336 p.a.) or 544,000 baht  p.a. Therefore you need to have 256,000 sitting in a Thai bank for three months. If you return to Australia for a visit, your pension will increase to $877.10 per fortnight.  This will continue to be paid to you on your return to Thailand for a further 42 days. Remember, there are 26 fortnights in a year not 24.

" Spot on Cobber"...Slainte.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

The Aussie Embassy will issue a statutory declaration based on whatever income you say you have, no proof needed. Whether you are honest or not is up to you. You show this to Thai immigration and bob's your uncle.

Now that is  ridiculous if you think like that , because if you get  caught you can go to jail in Australia because your    Signature is on a statutory   declaration .

you can't lie on a statutory declaration.

that is if you are to lie .

Aussie69 is not wrong. if you read his comments correctly. Many Australians living in Thailand who reach pension age and then return to Australia to apply for the pension will usually get bad news. Aussie69 is not referring to those like yourself who has already had their pension approved and now living overseas.

Nothing to stop you living outside the country for as long as you like once you have qualified, so I'm not sure what he means when he says that you're "only allowed to be absent for a limited time". I have already said that part of qualifying is to reside in Australia 2 years prior.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gkroo said:

Zerostar,if I was you I would carefully check the Aust pension rules because I am to believe that you are not entitled to a pension now if you do not reside within Aust ???

Not true.. you  can (and I do).. get the pension in Thailand .. you do lose a small amount for 'supplementary payments'.. rent relief.. help with electricity etc.. that amounts to about a $50 a fortnight deduction.. but you still get most of the pension here.. about 41,000 Bt for me..  I also have a small private pension.. which brings my aged pension down a bit.. and I have some $$ stashed in an investment account.. I get a OA multi entry visa... which I get in Australia... no money in Thailand banks.. my pensions and a bit of cash gets me through..  and... the OA multi entry can get you 2 years..  near the end of the first year I leave the country.. (quick border run.. in and out of Laos.. cross the border and come back).. and I get the second year.. without re-entry (you buy one if you want to leave during 2nd year)..  the downside is... and this is something to be considered.. if the immigration dept catch up with you.. as they did with me.. you lose Australian residency... no Medicare!... big problem..  but you can stay and collect pension with a small amount of $$ in the bank to make up the difference.. I hope this helps..

1 minute ago, Laza 45 said:

Not true.. you  can (and I do).. get the pension in Thailand .. you do lose a small amount for 'supplementary payments'.. rent relief.. help with electricity etc.. that amounts to about a $50 a fortnight deduction.. but you still get most of the pension here.. about 41,000 Bt for me..  I also have a small private pension.. which brings my aged pension down a bit.. and I have some $$ stashed in an investment account.. I get a OA multi entry visa... which I get in Australia... no money in Thailand banks.. my pensions and a bit of cash gets me through..  and... the OA multi entry can get you 2 years..  near the end of the first year I leave the country.. (quick border run.. in and out of Laos.. cross the border and come back).. and I get the second year.. without re-entry (you buy one if you want to leave during 2nd year)..  the downside is... and this is something to be considered.. if the immigration dept catch up with you.. as they did with me.. you lose Australian residency... no Medicare!... big problem..  but you can stay and collect pension with a small amount of $$ in the bank to make up the difference.. I hope this helps..

I would add.. this is for 'aged pension'... disability pension is a very different story...

Hi Guys just back from Aus yesterday , i spoke the center link TASSY wher all over seas pension are processed, as of Teusday last week you can recieve the Austrailan pension over seas, but only get the basic , NO add ons eg rent,rates, power extras. To Qualify you have to be a PERMANET resident in Aus 2 years prior to applying OR 2 years after(you are restricted to the amount of time you are aloud out side of Aus) As for the 6 weeks that only affects only tha add ons.: eg 6 weeks out and they will bring you back to the basic pension.

I only know this as will retier in Chiang Mai on the 3rd of January 2018 and have been pestering CL every couple ofweeks

1 hour ago, lungnorm said:

You must be a resident of Australia at the time you become eligible to apply for the OAP, and (from memory) you must also be in Australia on the day that you apply (normally the same day that you become eligible).  That means you have to have spent more than (from memory) 180 days in Australia in each of the two years before you become eligible to apply. I'm not sure what the rules are for the two years AFTER the pension starts (i.e., if you live overseas and cease to be an Australia "resident" for Centrelink purposes).  If you are out of Australia for more than six weeks,  the pension itself remains the same, but the overall payment goes down slightly because allowances are cut. 

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, but you are then "Married" and your pension amount changes. 

Sorry, I don't follow your reasoning. My understanding is the Australian aged pension, re being married, refers to husband & wife receiving the aged pension. IE, if both husband & wife, as a couple, are both eligible, receive,  the aged pension, it is significantly reduced as compared to two single pensions.

If an Aussie is married to a Thai national, the rules don't apply to the Thai wife. She isn't & won't ever be eligible for the Australian aged pension.

I'd be happy if you can elaborate on your understanding how an Aussie guy, married to a Thai lady, both living in Thailand, can have his aged pension reduced by said $200.

I'm not flaming or saying you are incorrect, I just feel you have misunderstood something along the way.

Cheers.....     Mal.

3 minutes ago, dundas said:

You must be a resident of Australia at the time you become eligible to apply for the OAP, and (from memory) you must also be in Australia on the day that you apply (normally the same day that you become eligible).  That means you have to have spent more than (from memory) 180 days in Australia in each of the two years before you become eligible to apply. I'm not sure what the rules are for the two years AFTER the pension starts (i.e., if you live overseas and cease to be an Australia "resident" for Centrelink purposes).  If you are out of Australia for more than six weeks,  the pension itself remains the same, but the overall payment goes down slightly because allowances are cut. 

Once your aged pension application is approved, you can leave Oz the next day. No problem.

• Like 1

The age pension qualifying age for the pension 65 born befor 1/06/1952, i know this because my birthday 03/07/1952 and i have to do an extra 6 months. You can apply only 3 months prior to you date , and you have to be in Australia on the day, can leave next day.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2BOB said:

They dont count Wife overseas if the marriage is not regesterd in Australia and will not affect pension.

Yes very true , you are right , but if your thai wife is a lot younger then you , and it is registered marriages  you lose your age pension because she can  support you in the eyes of the Australia government.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could use the combination of income and money in the bank to reach the 800k baht number.

Using 43k baht for a the monthly income that is annual income of 516k baht meaning you would need at least 284k baht in the bank.

You can use any income when you do your statutory declaration at the Australian embassy needed to prove your income at immigration. If immigration wanted back up proof for the declaration you could use a Thai bank book showing funds coming into the country on a regular basis.

If you use the combination method does the "lump sum" balance need to be in the bank for 3 months, vaguely remember reading somewhere that is not the case as in the 800K?

Unfortunately the Australian Pension is well under the poverty line in Australia. But I would think you can manage quite well in Thailand if you have at least some savings in the bank to make up the short fall. Say 300,000 baht to be safe with exchange rates. The next task is to get the Australian pension up to living standards in Australia.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Sorry, I don't follow your reasoning. My understanding is the Australian aged pension, re being married, refers to husband & wife receiving the aged pension. IE, if both husband & wife, as a couple, are both eligible, receive,  the aged pension, it is significantly reduced as compared to two single pensions.

If an Aussie is married to a Thai national, the rules don't apply to the Thai wife. She isn't & won't ever be eligible for the Australian aged pension.

I'd be happy if you can elaborate on your understanding how an Aussie guy, married to a Thai lady, both living in Thailand, can have his aged pension reduced by said $200.

I'm not flaming or saying you are incorrect, I just feel you have misunderstood something along the way.

Cheers.....     Mal.

This an explanation by stevemercer that sums it up pretty well.

ll try and explain the Aussie pension deal with an example.

You are single and get a pension of $100 per week. If you are married to an Australian citizen, the pair of you get the marriage pension of $160 (because 2 can supposedly live cheaper than one).

If you marry a non-Australian resident that person is not eligible by law for any Australian pension. However, Centrelink will still recalculate your pension based on half of the the married rate. So your new pension is $160 divided by 2 = $80 per week. Cetrelink makes the assumption that your wife is probably bringing something to the marriage. Anyway, they don't really care, they just follow the formula.

So, instead of a pension of $100 you now get $80 (whether or not your wife contributes anything to the marriage is irrelevant).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 2BOB said:

They dont count Wife overseas if the marriage is not regesterd in Australia and will not affect pension.

Oh yes they do. See above.

Edited by giddyup

13 minutes ago, dave3478 said:

Unfortunately the Australian Pension is well under the poverty line in Australia. But I would think you can manage quite well in Thailand if you have at least some savings in the bank to make up the short fall. Say 300,000 baht to be safe with exchange rates. The next task is to get the Australian pension up to living standards in Australia.

Now that is bs the , Australia Pension is well under the poverty line,  how would you know that bs I know old age  pensioners that are very happy and never  complying .

if up did not save for your  retirement it is not the  fault of the Australia government.

it is your fault, Your taxes are not for your pension they are to run the country.

you should have put money away for your old age,  not the government problem .

i have no hop of getting a old age  pension that is because I look to my old age . 

You should have done the same or some more money in your super to top up your age  pension .

20 minutes ago, dave3478 said:

Now that is bs the , Australia Pension is well under the poverty line,  how would you know that bs I know old age  pensioners that are very happy and never  complying .

if up did not save for your  retirement it is not the  fault of the Australia government.

it is your fault, Your taxes are not for your pension they are to run the country.

i have no hop of getting a old age  pension that is because I look to my old age . 

You should have done the same or some more money in your super to top up your age  pension .

20 minutes ago, giddyup said:

This an explanation by stevemercer that sums it up pretty well.

ll try and explain the Aussie pension deal with an example.

You are single and get a pension of $100 per week. If you are married to an Australian citizen, the pair of you get the marriage pension of $160 (because 2 can supposedly live cheaper than one).

If you marry a non-Australian resident that person is not eligible by law for any Australian pension. However, Centrelink will still recalculate your pension based on half of the the married rate. So your new pension is $160 divided by 2 = $80 per week. Cetrelink makes the assumption that your wife is probably bringing something to the marriage. Anyway, they don't really care, they just follow the formula.

So, instead of a pension of $100 you now get $80 (whether or not your wife contributes anything to the marriage is irrelevant).

Ok, I understand what srevemercer, whoever he might be says. Pretty plain & simple.

Unfortunately the reality is the Thai wife seldom, if ever contributes. It's usually the reverse. You marry a Thai & in doing so, you support many others. But hey, we can't argue with the Oz government, they know best.

I have not & will not inform the relevant authorities that I'm married. Married, who me !!!

9 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

George mate, do some research. It's well documented that the Oz aged pension is well below the poverty line. Yes, we all should have put more aside for our golden years. Some did & some didn't.

Just sayin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

and this is something to be considered.. if the immigration dept catch up with you.. as they did with me.. you lose Australian residency... no Medicare!... big problem..

Laza

Your comment is interesting. I have been denied the age pension because I retired to Thailand when 64 but as far as I know am still covered by Medicare. I expect that to change but has it changed already?

36 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Ok, I understand what srevemercer, whoever he might be says. Pretty plain & simple.

Unfortunately the reality is the Thai wife seldom, if ever contributes. It's usually the reverse. You marry a Thai & in doing so, you support many others. But hey, we can't argue with the Oz government, they know best.

I have not & will not inform the relevant authorities that I'm married. Married, who me !!!

If they ever find out you will be required to pay back any money that you've been overpaid.